Anyone ditched the couch for a loveseat or just chairs?

Depends entirely on how you entertain, typical number of visitors/guests, etc. There is no one right answer.

We used to have a 3 person couch plus side chairs, but we have a 2 person loveseat and 2 recliners now in our family room, with a couple stowaway stools that can function as seating.

Including ourselves we usually only have 4-6 people over at a time.

When we occasionally have large numbers of people over, they sit in the family room (4-6), dining room (6), kitchen island (4), breakfast room (4) and if weather allows covered back porch (4). People want to break into smaller groups to talk anyway, there's no need to get a bunch of people in one room IME - that would be chaos. The family room-dining room-kitchen island are all within easy earshot. Visitors will naturally work it out on their own. Some people will stand for a while at least. Just make sure you have lots of coasters!

Last edited:
Replaced a sofa with two recliners which are connected so it's shaped like a sofa but either half can recline.

OK, got a lot of good sleep on the recliner, though it doesn't recline all the way flat. So it's in a position where you can see the TV screen well but promotes sleep.

The issue though is that after sleeping, I feel a lot of phlegm in my throat so I don't know if it's post-nasal drip.

The other thing too is I can lie on it lengthwise like a regular sofa if I want a flat surface.

I looked into the more modern recliners, the so-called zero gravity position. That actually seems similar the most-reclined position of the ones I have.

But the Zero Gravity recliners can be more expensive, more for one than the duo recliners I have.

Also tempted with one of those massage chairs too.

I’m hoping to ditch our small almost never used couch for an upright piano. We bought that only for guest seating and we don’t entertain anymore.

DH and I sit in euro chairs with ottomans.

Last edited:
We have a 2-wall wrap around sectional that seats 7. The couch part is GREAT for taking naps. Just this weekend, every seat was taken for Father's day/Anniversary and had to pull in kitchen chairs to seat everyone. The couch fits me and the 140 lb mastiff!

Yeah I never understood couches anyway no one will sit in the middle if they can help it. I called and left a message with a junk hauler to get it taken out. City will not take anything that bulky even for a fee.

Last edited:
We have a collection of Love-sac sactionals, a modular system to make as big a couch as you want, in any rectangular formation you like. About every six months we've rearranged, and finally have a configuration that might last a few years. So far they're great. https://www.lovesac.com We also have a couple stressless recliners.

We have a couch, 2 wooden arm armchairs and 2 basset swivel rockers with arms. 100pct of guests choose the swivel rockers.

We have a 3 person, non reclining, old school couch. DH ends up sleeping on it at some point, every evening. We also have two recliners, which is where we sit most of the time.

None of it is pretty. Inherited the couch from my sister when she upgraded to new. It's a neutral pattern on the upholstry and in good shape. The recliners don't match... they were my dad's and one he left when he sold us the house, the other he took with him, and after he passed, my step mom gave it to us because she thought it was ugly.

We've talked about getting a sectional when we downsize to a condo... but it will be one of the tailored, slim, ones... no recliners, not overstuffed. DH will keep his recliner.

We have large living and family rooms that would look somewhat empty without a sofa and loveseat. We have a nice leather sofa and loveseat set that recline in our family room, which we use much more often. If I had my druthers I would move these to the living room (replacing a 20+ year old cloth sofa and loveseat), and put either a sectional that was easy to rearrange as needed, or more informal recliners. I just need to get DW on board with it... she is not really against it, but not a current priority in her view (she is not big on decorating, and changes to things she has become comfortable with she finds difficult to deal with).

When I was younger and I entered a great room with two recliners, my first thought was somebody old lives here. Keep the couch and keep your youth. LOL.

Visited friends last night who had an "electric chair." It even had a "clicker" to make adjustments. Every function had a button. The foot rest, the back, heat, vibration, all had a button with many (or infinite) settings. AND it was actually comfortable. It was wonderful. Got me thinking... YMMV

We moved our comfy recliners down to our main family room where we watch TV at night. We kept one couch and ottoman in this room for when our kids come over. Maybe not very stylish but so functional for us.

The sofa in our living room came with the home and will stay when we move.

It's a sleeper sofa so heavy that I can't budge it.

When I was younger and I entered a great room with two recliners, my first thought was somebody old lives here. Keep the couch and keep your youth. LOL.

So true! We did finally give in and do it. They are side by side aimed right at the nice big TV.

The last time we redid the living room, the decorator we hired really didn't want us to get a recliner. I think it had to do with the overall image she wanted to create. May have been that she didn't want to project an "old people" look. We went with her recommendation (couch, loveseat, big chair) but there are times when I think a recliner would be nice.

We have a couch, 2 wooden arm armchairs and 2 basset swivel rockers with arms. 100pct of guests choose the swivel rockers.

Interesting. Yeah couch left this morning I don't think I will miss it.

Too funny. I never even thought of old people when I considered them. When I got the last recliner the salesman told me most of the power ones were sold to younger people. They grew up with everything automated.

The sofa in our living room came with the home and will stay when we move.

It's a sleeper sofa so heavy that I can't budge it.

Yep I had to pay a junk hauler because charities aren't picking up and city said they wouldn't take it even if I got it out there. ($100)

Last edited:
So true! We did finally give in and do it. They are side by side aimed right at the nice big TV.

I could get used to that once football starts. :dance:

This is probably off color, but there was a Simpson’s episode where Homer built a toilet into his recliner so he would never have to get up. :LOL:

We have a collection of Love-sac sactionals, a modular system to make as big a couch as you want, in any rectangular formation you like. About every six months we've rearranged, and finally have a configuration that might last a few years. So far they're great. https://www.lovesac.com We also have a couple stressless recliners.

I just learned about those! There's a small showroom near us that I didn't even know about. I'm glad to hear you like them. We've also looked (online) at Allform sectional/modular furniture. Love sac is way more expensive but after sitting on them at least I know they're very comfortable. I wish I could sit on an Allform piece. Our initial search is for a guest house/Air B&B so I'm still thinking Allform for that and Lovesac for our own living room...

I've ALWAYS thought the same thing!! And I was only aware of ugly recliners, ha. But we recently tried some (that were almost attractive) and, OMG, I now understand why people have them. I told my 26 year old, "hip", son about trying them out and he was all over it. Couldn't have been more enthusiastic. Who knew:confused:

We got a very nice modern reclining loveseat and two chairs for our coastal condo living room. Previously we had a sectional and it seemed too heavy and big for the room. Never regretted it. Love the reclining function on the loveseat! The neck/head rests also move so that when the recliner is not in use, the piece looks very sleek and modern.

Scuba, would you be willing to share the brand etc?

Back
Top Bottom