Anyone ditched the couch for a loveseat or just chairs?

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have finally decided to get rid of the super old fashioned sofa in my living room that the cheap side of me kept saying it looks perfect - it does actually cause it's never sat on. Not all that comfortable.

Anyway I now need to decide what I want as a replacement. Thinking honestly maybe just separate recliners. . . Or do I want a loveseat?

I never seat more than 4 adults, more often its 2 or 3. I really do not need or want a sectional the size of my car for this. Anyone ditch the sofa completely and regret it?

It kind of seems like regressing to want smaller lighter furniture but heck I am not getting any younger and starting to like those things with arms!

Last edited:
I used to have a couch and matching love seat in my living room. After a number of years, I decided I wanted something higher quality and more comfortable.

Now I have a recliner for myself, and a large, elegant Italian leather arm chair and ottoman for Frank (my boyfriend, who lives next door). I almost never have more than one guest, but if I need another seat I can bring in a chair from the dining room.

I was thinking about getting a matching recliner for Frank, but with the recent supply chain delays in delivery, I think I'll wait a few years.

I think love seats look great, but mine was not very comfortable for two adults.

I do not regret ditching my sofa and love seat, at all! It's nice to have them out of the way and gone.

We got a very nice modern reclining loveseat and two chairs for our coastal condo living room. Previously we had a sectional and it seemed too heavy and big for the room. Never regretted it. Love the reclining function on the loveseat! The neck/head rests also move so that when the recliner is not in use, the piece looks very sleek and modern.

Opposite direction. I often have 5-9 people over and loveseat / sofa worn out. Room is 15×20 off kitchen (no wall in-between) so I bought:
Screenshot_20220621-010716_Macy's.jpg

Redoing our family room. So far we have kept the sofa and have added 2 mission style recliners which look less massive than prior chairs but are still large enough to be comfy. Bought them online from Macy’s which has over bought home goods and selling stuff at reduced prices. Also got great area rug at cheap price from them. Very happy with the quality.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...153295&CategoryID=36166&swatchColor=Chocolate

My sofa is very comfortable for a third guest to sleep on; the first two guests can sleep on the twin beds in the guest room. But for having three guests from time to time, I’d ditch the sofa and get better recliners to replace my two recliners.

Never went sectional, our house has too many "openings" in the living/TV rooms to accommodate without blocking a walkway, door, or window.

We do still have a standard sofa in each, but in our TV room we got a modern reclining loveseat. We also rarely entertain many people at once.

Just put the couch out for the thrash this morning. Of course it was an easy decision since we are starting to prep for a move.

Last edited:
Switched to rocker recliners years ago.

We have a loveseat and both halves recline, it's perfect for us if we're watching a movie. We also have a couch but it's only used when we have company.

Got rid of overstuffed matching sofa. loveseat and two huge chairs.
Family room now has one rocker recliner and two wood rockers, plus lots of space for yoga, hand weights. I love the spaciousness of it.
For the Living room, I had planned on smaller furniture, also. Ha!
We recently bought a Lazy Boy sectional with three reclining seats and a chaise lounge. It's rather large, but the room handles it. Very comfortable and I fell in love with it at the show room.

Thanks. Good to know I am not maybe as crazy as I thought. I will check out the Macy's link.

What is a "better" recliner? Mine is broken and needs to go to the trash soon. I only have not gone looking because of supply chain stuff. It was not the cheapest thing in the world, I am really disappointed how long it lasted.

There's something special about stretching out on the couch. We have 2 leather couches (with reclining options in both) and DH lays down and watches TV. When he was sick, he could stretch out and turn on his side without being confined to the bedroom to watch TV. We also have a separate leather recliner but could not live comfortably without our couches.

The couch in our other living room has a pull-out bed. If needed for extended family, we can fit 6 extra people comfortably. When I look at VRBO, they always say "can sleep 6 or 8." Then I look at the living space and think "How??" Now I get it.

I think I might go look around a bit today. I try to avoid weekends since I am allergic to crowds. :)

Even those of you with bigger families were a reminder that I am not suddenly going to get one so just exactly why do I have some of the things I do for people that don't even exist?!

For me, a ‘better’ recliner would solve these issues with my current recliners:

It would need to be easy to ‘un-recline’. Mine take a LOT of leg strength, kind of difficult. Maybe an electric recliner.

It would need to allow me to sit straight up if I wanted to. Current recliners are angled back a bit even in their full upright position. Sometimes I want to sit straight backed.

It would need to be able to lay nearly flat for sleeping. If it is to substitute for the sofa, a guest might end up sleeping in it, so it should be able to lay flat. Mine aren’t.

It would need to be able to securely ‘hold’ a position even if I lean on it. Right now, if I settle in and relax, it goes back. Sometimes I want to be able to stay at a position that is neither end point.

Gosh, it sounds like I need to get new recliners now!

We decided to go the recliner route. It took a while to find suitable candidates. the national brand (whose name is IMHO insulting) was disappointing. So we finally found a much less known brand in a small town furniture store. They are comfortable, durable, attractive. So we bought a his and hers. We do still have one couch but the recliners are now our go-to seating to read or watch TV. YMMV

Thanks. Good to know I am not maybe as crazy as I thought. I will check out the Macy's link.

What is a "better" recliner? Mine is broken and needs to go to the trash soon. I only have not gone looking because of supply chain stuff. It was not the cheapest thing in the world, I am really disappointed how long it lasted.

As for what brand of recliner, mine is a fairly high end Lazy Boy power recliner, with battery backup, plus massage and heat controls as well as the lift function which was helpful after my knee surgery. I bought it in January of 2020, and so far, so good. It cost almost $2200 with tax and delivery. The good ones aren't cheap. Also, Lazy Boy told me in 2021 that delivery could take over a year at that time. Hopefully that has improved since then.

I don't really use the massage, heat, or lift functions any more, but like the recliner a lot. Since last fall I have taken to sleeping on my recliner instead of my bed. It is much sturdier than a previous recliner that I got from Amazon, which was falling apart in just a few months. If you are considering Lazy Boy, then I'd recommend going to a Lazy Boy store so that you can see what they have and if it's comfortable for you.

We have a LZB triple seat couch with 2 recliners at the ends (no middle) and USB jacks with the up/down switch. Finished in "dog resistant" and "looks like leather" whatever.

I will start snoring soon (if the movie is boring) or I'm just resting easy. Without a doubt, the most comfy couch we've ever had.

We are redoing a bedroom into a TV room w a wet bar now. Ordered a sofa & 2 recliners. One recliner I really like a lot was American Leatherrecliners. At the time (last Fall) they were running almost $5k ea with the ottoman. I gasped when i heard the price. The motion on them was very very smooth though. And I really liked the product. But $10k for 2 was too much for me

We ended up getting 2 power recliners from Dania plus some more stuff. Really like it. Ordered late October or November & received in late May.

I had planned on replacing my current couch, 1 1/2 chair, and ottoman with 4 power recliners with power adjustable headrest.
I had been looking for something I really liked since 2020.
I finally decided that recliners wouldn’t suit my needs as my grandsons spend the night and 1 sleeps on the couch and the other on a cot I have.
So, I went looking for a sectional or anything that was as comfortable as my current 18 year old couch and chair.
Finally found one at a local furniture store-and the sectional I found is made by the same company as my current furniture.
I ordered it in March and it should be here next week.
It is 3 seats extending on the left, 2 in the middle-with an oversized ottoman, and then a chase on the right. Boys on opposite ends and me in the middle with the ottoman.
No USB ports but luckily it is close to an outlet and I’ve already got the surge protector with usb for that.
It cost a ton of money so I hope I like it. [emoji15]

But all that to say- do what works for you. We all have different needs and I don’t give one fig about who may not like my set up. I purchased based on my family.

Oh- I also set up a gaming room. Getting a recliner and gaming chair for that room.

It would need to be able to securely ‘hold’ a position even if I lean on it. Right now, if I settle in and relax, it goes back. Sometimes I want to be able to stay at a position that is neither end point.

Gosh, it sounds like I need to get new recliners now!

Yes it does! Mine has some of those issues plus more. (Foot rest wont stay up nor will it go fully back into flat position. So it is stuck slightly open).

And right I don't normally give a lot of thought to what anyone thinks but on the other hand I have literally never seen a living room IRL that doesn't have a sofa.

And things like cup holders being annoying would not even cross my mind. I mean not that I wanted any - it is just good to have people point out things I have not considered because there are usually a lot.

We put our living room sofa in our storage unit awhile ago. Just a loveseat and some small tables in the living room. Oh, and the baby grand. The space allows DH to set up his keyboard system when he needs to program it for an upcoming show. DS can set up his drum set there when needed. Or the space is used for a folding table when stuff needs sorting.

Back
Top Bottom