Anyone live near Brownsville, TX?

At least Brownsville residents don't have to worry about problems with trees, etc.

I think all the native trees have disappeared in past hurricanes.Those left are probably very short.
It’s not that native trees have been destroyed by hurricanes. If that were true there would be no tall trees on any of the TX coast, and there are especially along the central TX coast and East TX. It’s simply that we don’t have many large native trees down here, and their distribution is naturally sparse. Vegetation in more short and scrub-like here.

Oaks stop about 100 miles north of us. It’s quite obvious when you drive down US 281. A few miles south of the BP checkpoint and the oaks suddenly vanish. We don’t have native pecan trees either, and cedar elms are sparse. Large deciduous trees you see have been planted by someone so dominate in cities. All those tall palms you see are imported, the native palm doesn’t get nearly that tall. Our largest natural trees tend to be mesquites and they just don’t get that big. Native vegetation around us is known as Tamaulipan Thorn Scrub and larger plants are predominantly acacias, and most plants have thorns. Larger trees occur along the river and associated resacas (oxbow lakes). The rest is short.

Last edited:
No. Timing is too tricky. We live about 80 miles away. Not much notice. I expect a launch can be seen from South Padre Island. Boca Chica area is closed during launches.

We just arrived at South Padre Island yesterday. Staying at a RV park on the south end of the island. It would be awesome to witness a launch, but it doesn’t appear that there are any scheduled during the week that we will be here.

We just arrived at South Padre Island yesterday. Staying at a RV park on the south end of the island.
Walked around that park, having driven down from Riviera/Rivera* (*depending on who you talk to), when we were staying there one season.....noticed a lot of rust on the long term stays...decided against a winter there.

You were probably at the Isla Blanca county park. I noticed the same thing last time we were there. Their RV areas have kind of fallen into disrepair. But, they have recently upgraded their beach front facilities . . . pavilions, restrooms, etc. Very nice.

We’re actually staying at the KOA which is just outside the Isla Blanca park. A little tight, but well maintained. We will head over to Isla Blanca for our beach time.

You were probably at the Isla Blanca county park.

OK...that's likely the one....it was 20+ years ago when I looked at it.

That south tip county park always looked a bit ratty. We’ve stayed at the KOA. We also stayed at the Andy Bowie County park at the north end of town. Terrific location even though you are basically camping on a giant parking lot. Very challenging for a larger rig to get in there.

But it’s along a terrific section of beach, and segregated from the day use area, and the best birding sites are right across the street. And it’s away from the crowds, noise and hubbub of the rest of the city. We used to have a view of the “leaning tower of Padre”, but they finally demolished it.

It's warm in the Winter, very warm in the Spring and Fall and dang hot in the Summer... Humid most of the time.... Just like a lot of southern Texas.

Actually I love the area... Great hunting (dove and quail) and lot's of open country nearby. The Gulf is close by too. Mexico is just minutes away for day visits. If you are going to visit for an extended period of time, knowing some Spanish is very helpful (but not required), even in the Mexico boarder towns. In my experaince away.

Last edited:
High of 73 today. 54 this morning. Not bad for way south Texas in April!

But it will warm up real soon!

Back
Top Bottom