Anyone still listen to OTA radio?

I rarely listen to ota radio. The nearest good radio stations are CITI FM in Winnipeg and KQHT in Grand Forks but they are both about 80 miles away so reception is iffy at best. For a long time CITI was the most powerful FM station in North America but a few years ago something happened and their signal strength fell off drastically. I listen to them both over internet radio if I am home. In my car it is SiriusXM only.

I listen to Radio Australia most mornings on 9580KHz on the shortwave bands (listening right now, actually), though I don't think that's quite what was meant by the original question. It does, however, qualify as OTA radio. I listen to OTA radio quite often at home. The local college station on the FM band (KALX) is mostly music-oriented, with a good diversity of music. The DJ's range from students of college age, to non-students in their 60's (and possibly one or two older, I think). It's good old-fashioned free-form radio made by people who actually like music. You never quite know what you're going to hear next - a stark contrast to the bilge that is broadcast by commercial stations in the US.

I also listen to BBC Radio on a free-standing internet radio set (though you can "tune" them in on a computer too). They are OTA in the UK. My favorites are BBC Radio 4, for current affairs, drama, comedy, and other spoken-word fare, and BBC Radio 6, a pop/rock music station aimed at middle-aged folk. Because it's British and focuses on my generation, it has exactly the musical sensibility I like.

However, I avoid US commercial OTA radio stations like the plague.

Last edited:
I still listen to mostly OTA radio. We have good NPR stations, good "classic rock" stations and fair talk radio. It's usually possible to find something I like.

I know I could be doing better, esp finding interesting podcasts. I tried "smart" services that were supposed to find music similar to stuff I liked already, they did a very poor job.

Finding material (programs, songs, spoken word) to download, then keeping my iPod handy, plugged into a player, etc is all a hassle. The AM and FM radio just works. I'd never subscribe to satellite radio--I'm too cheap, and the serial "pushed" programming is offputting, even if there are no commercials.

One silver lining of OTA and other "pushed" media: I get exposed to information I end up needing/liking/finding useful that I wouldn't have selected if pulling from the "information boutique."

Last edited:
After reading this, I realized that I have a problem. I am addicted to radio. My preference is commercial free satellite, but I'll be happy to stream too. And like the alcoholic drinking mouthwash, I resort to a fair amount of OTA too.

I have a problem.

I'm all in on NPR, too. I guess that's why I'm not bothered by commercials. I have a large backlog of local radio podcasts that I could never listen to when they aired because... I was working. NPR, broad topics, closest national show is probably Fresh Air.

If I had a long regular commute or had to travel a lot in my car, I'd probably splurge for satellite radio, but I don't drive enough miles a year to justify the cost.

One silver lining of OTA and other "pushed" media: I get exposed to information I end up needing/liking/finding useful that I wouldn't have selected if pulling from the "information boutique."

Actually, no. Just the opposite. With sites like YouTube when you are watching or listening to something a long list in a side panel (for lack of a better way of putting it) comes up introducing you to music, shows, movies, and endless other forms of entertainment that you could never have found on your own. For example, searching/finding information, interviews, history,etc. on the making of Blair Witch Project, I was shown fantastic examples of Japanese and American anime synthpop music going back to the 1980's that I would never have found on my own (I have even been introduced to "gamer" music--that is, excellent music created for foreign ((Japanese in particular))and U.S. video games that isn't commercially available in the States). Same goes for being introduced to documentaries (PBS, History Channel, Nova, and a whole host of other channels), movies, music, television, interviews--historic and new--that you would otherwise never be aware of. I could never go back to OTA or old forms of push media entertainment, where the "choices" are all made for you and the consumer experience is not optimized.

Best of all, all of it costs nothing! A retiree's dream, IMO.

Last edited:
In the cars, almost strictly OTH. I listen to NPR, wife listens to a local contemporary rock station. When together usual listen to her station. Our radios only need two program buttons.
On longer trip, use CDs or thumb drive (USB interfaces). We've even found Sirius preview channel just fine. I'd be willing to pay for a month service in the summer just for road trips but rest of year it'd be a waste.
At home, I occasionally listen to NPR through my phone. Any other listening at home is via streaming options. Can't remember last time anyone used a radio in the house.

Satellite radio doesn't save you from long periods of DJ dribble

I listen to both OTA and Satellite radio. I flip around to find something worth listening to. I could live without Satellite radio but am willing to pay a steeply discounted rate for some variety.

Where I live I think the music mix on commercial OTA radio is better than what's on Satellite radio. When a commercial comes on OTA radio I just change the station.

Satellite radio doesn't save you from long periods of DJ dribble. If only they would just play the music.

Actually, no. Just the opposite. With sites like YouTube when you are watching or listening to something a long list in a side panel (for lack of a better way of putting it) comes up introducing you to music, shows, movies, and endless other forms of entertainment that you could never have found on your own. For example, searching/finding information, interviews, history,etc. on the making of Blair Witch Project, I was shown fantastic examples of Japanese and American anime synthpop music going back to the 1980's that I would never have found on my own (I have even been introduced to "gamer" music--that is, excellent music created for foreign ((Japanese in particular))and U.S. video games that isn't commercially available in the States). Same goes for being introduced to documentaries (PBS, History Channel, Nova, and a whole host of other channels), movies, music, television, interviews--historic and new--that you would otherwise never be aware of. I could never go back to OTA or old forms of push media entertainment, where the "choices" are all made for you and the consumer experience is not optimized.

Best of all, all of it costs nothing! A retiree's dream, IMO.

I'm the opposite, I don't like the notion of an algorithm foisting "You might also like...{database correlated selections here}".

With the listener supported/commercial free jazz station I listen to I let the dj's make a wide, random, and varied selection of artists which then tickle my interest in buying an album or two.

But, that's just me. No better than any other approach. Ears open to whatever is good.

I only listen to satellite radio. Can't get outlaw country OTA.

If I knew what it was, I bet I could get it OTA here in Nashville. :angel: (Still laugh at myself when moving here--thought the music would only be country and, therefore "terrible" IMHO. In reality, lots (and lots) of country, but a lot more to go with it.)

If I knew what it was, I bet I could get it OTA here in Nashville. :angel: (Still laugh at myself when moving here--thought the music would only be country and, therefore "terrible" IMHO. In reality, lots (and lots) of country, but a lot more to go with it.)

I doubt it, Outlaw Country is anti-Nashville - they play real country on Sirius XM 60

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_country

Originally Posted by Big_Hitter
I only listen to satellite radio. Can't get outlaw country OTA.

Originally Posted by 2017ish

FYI: "Outlaw Country" is a channel on XM/Sirius satellite radio. It's sort of the "progressive country" channel that plays a mix of old/new/ and eclectic (mostly country) music

I doubt it, Outlaw Country is anti-Nashville - they play real country on Sirius XM 60

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_country

Yeah, saw that wiki when looking up the term. My problem (not being an avid listener of either genre) is that Cash (for example), to me bridges country/rock and Williams Jr. is pure Country. While Willie is "americana," and Steve Earle and Leon Russell are bridging americana/altRock. And all of those guys are (in my mind) closely tied to Nashville--although not to the highly produced "popular country."

My personal categories may not be the same as the "real" categories though. :LOL:

Mostly OTA. Followed by BT streaming from the iPhone for podcasts and OTA streaming from out of market areas.

I gave Sirius/XM a try when I got a new car. I sort liked it, but what really drove me away was the half hourly cross promotions they did. I'd be listening to Doctor Radio learning all about the growth that's be giving me problems lately :angel:, ahem, and they'd start LOUDLY telling me all about some stupid channel I not only wasn't interested in, but it drove me to turn the thing off. Hated it.

Something like Apple Music or Spotify are much better music sources in my experience. To me satellite only makes sense if you are traveling WAY off the beaten path where there is no cell coverage.

Only OTA radio here, too. In the car (2007 model) and two small radios at home, one in the study and one in the kitchen. I'm a Minnesota Public Radio addict.

I listen to OTA when in the car, which is very rare these days. And since most trips are pretty short here in the city, I might hear a song or two, or sometimes just part of a song and then a long commercial break.

Otherwise, I'll listen to Pandora or similar internet radio when near a computer/phone/tablet. Or I'll put on a youtube playlist of something I want to listen to (like when I get a yearning for some Johnny Cash techno remix).

Big time OTA radio junkie. Also have XM which I love but the renewal rates are getting obnoxious. I am happy that the DC-Balto region finally has Bloomberg Radio. I am no longer in the car all day since retiring, but I usually listen to news, talk, sports, all things NPR and Jazz, of course. I hardly know anyone that listens to AM radio like I do.

We drive a lot. Long distances, too. Here's where I like the satellite.

When I get bored with the music, I'll switch to old time Radio Classics. I get a kick out of hearing a suspense drama, or Dragnet, or a host of others I never knew about. (For example: Nero Wolfe, the obese detective that figures it all out from his chair while drinking beer.) The theater of the mind is a lost art.

I know you can find a lot of this with streaming, but it is hit or miss for finding it. This is where I enjoy the "push". Something new (even if old) that was vetted out.

Last edited:
I still listen in my car to OTA. I have seen what satellite radio has to offer. It is really good. But am I gonna go out and get it? No. I do not want another bill and while IMO the cost is worth it I am not going to do it. At home I listen to online radio and I can get any radio station I want from almost anywhere. In my car I suffer with local stations but I am not in my car all that much. I am just curious how everyone else feels about this and what do you do about it.

The same.

In house: Kitchen/bedroom: OTA local, OR streaming another OTA station on the internet

Car: OTA local. Satellite capable but why bother? I drive about 750 miles a year

Last edited:
Only SW and Amateur Radio for me. Never in the car though, since someone decided they needed my $1K+ receiver setup more than I did.:mad:

Sirius / XM sometimes, although I can't stand the compression. At least both of my satellite receivers have worked for free for the past 4 or 5 years, I would never pay for that content. The stock, SIRI, however, has been very very good to me.

_B

Not any more.

We plug in our iPod, iPhone, or iPad (USB connection). If we really want something different we stream. Usually we just listen to our massive music collection.

Back
Top Bottom