are dishwashers HE?

broadway

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have a dishwasher that came with the house new so it is about about 6 years old. Rarely used about once or twice a year.

It takes 74 minutes to run a complete cycle.
At the end of the cycle, the dishes are very warm, but I had explicitly set it for No Heated Dry. No water at the bottom of the dishwasher.

Is this normal?

As I child I would load dishes into the dishwasher and you hear a great ruckus while it was running and at the end the dishes would still be wet.

I have a dishwasher that came with the house new so it is about about 6 years old. Rarely used about once or twice a year.

It takes 74 minutes to run a complete cycle.
At the end of the cycle, the dishes are very warm, but I had explicitly set it for No Heated Dry. No water at the bottom of the dishwasher.

Is this normal?

As I child I would load dishes into the dishwasher and you hear a great ruckus while it was running and at the end the dishes would still be wet.

In terms of total water use if you use the light cycle a dishwasher uses less water (and energy to heat it than washing and rinsing under running water) I have a 12 year old unit that uses 5.6 gal for a light load. Considering that the final rinse takes place at 150f or above in order to sanitize the dishes even with no heated dry the dishes would be warm. (Modern dishwashers heat the water to that level as needed in particular with hot water heaters now set at 120 it needs to add heat.) The 150 water dries faster as well. Note in commercial establishments the temp gets to 165 f. Note that 150 f water will lead to a third degree burn in 2-3 seconds. So hand washing wont sanitize nearly as well in addition.

are dishwashers HE?

I'm sorry. I thought you were looking for the sex of the dishwasher!

Our 12 Yo Bosch takes around an hour and a half. It does heat the wash and rinse water as meierdle explained. And it is super quiet!!! Love the thing. Don't know if it is HE or not, nor do I care.

are dishwashers HE?

I'm sorry. I thought you were looking for the sex of the dishwasher!

That's what I thought too.

In French, the word lave-vaisselle (dishwashing machine) is a masculine noun, not feminine as I thought. Just looked that up. :)

Last edited:
I suggest using it at least once a month, to keep seals from drying or other stuff from locking up. I used to leave my house for 3-4 months at a time and the dishwasher didn't work one time after I got back. I forget exactly what it was, but the repairman showed me what locked up and how to fix it with a wrench if it happened again.

I suggest using it at least once a month, to keep seals from drying or other stuff from locking up. I used to leave my house for 3-4 months at a time and the dishwasher didn't work one time after I got back. I forget exactly what it was, but the repairman showed me what locked up and how to fix it with a wrench if it happened again.

Had that happen with the disposal two different times (after leaving it for 6-7 months), but the wrench wouldn't budge it. Finally removed the unit to permanently fix the problem

It is normal. Note that if you do not use heated dry then your racks may rust / deteriorate faster, but are inexpensive to replace.

Our Bosch DW does not have a drying cycle but gets the dishes extremely hot, runs 2 hrs 9 minutes, and is very quiet. Don't know if it is M or F, but I can get extremely hot for over 2 hours, and could care less about noise levels.

Modern dishwashers are all water savers and most no longer heat the dishes up by hot air or an electric coil. To get the dishes clean, they will run as long as 2 hours and they use silicones and chemicals to shed water from the dishes without leaving water marks.

The drying comes from hot water heating up the dishes to when the cycles are completed, there's still enough heat in the dishes to dry them.

And the modern dishwashers are not especially long lasting or trouble free appliances. Many will look like they're high quality, but very few actually are. They're just pretty faces.

I still have an old style Kitchenaid at my lake house that uses a bunch of water--and really gets the dishes clean. My other two houses have Bosch dishwashers--the best in my book.

We have a low end Whirlpool model about the same age. Also kill the " Heated dry ", and results are the same as yours. Also agree with the suggestion of using at least every mo to keep the seals limber.

Our new dishwasher is marketed as "HE" and definitely heats the water. It also takes up to 2 hours or more. Apparently it senses how dirty the dishes are, and/or the incoming water temperature, and adjusts accordingly.

We've learned to leave off the extra "heated dry" cycle. Just open the door when it's finished and shake off any puddles on upside-down cups or whatever, and the dishes air-dry pretty quickly. Maybe it's because we have good water, but we haven't yet found the need to add the special drying fluid.

That's even better than re-using dryer sheets ;)

Most newer dishwashers are pretty well insulated, so keeping the heat inside from the hot water is pretty easy... that is why they are hot...

Next time do a heat dry and check the temp... see if they are hotter...

Our new dishwasher is a KitchenAid. Even without using the heated dry cycle, the dishes are too hot to handle comfortably if I try to empty it immediately after it finishes running. If I run it after dinner, it's still slightly warm when I open it up in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom