Are you pleased with your new appliances a year later?

edit: and WTF - who decided that frozen goods in multiple drawers you have to bend over to reach was a great idea? not many SxS frig/freezers out there.

Just a thought.....don't you have to bend over to reach half the stuff on both sides in a side by side? Maybe the thinking is that we get at the stuff in the freezer less frequently than the stuff in the refrigerator so will need to bend over less often.

One thing is for sure..they don't make 'em like they used to, but they have a lot more bells and whistles.

it's not exactly a Richard Simmons workout to bend over for 5-10 seconds to retrieve an item from the freezer.

Jumped in 2 years ago

I am the ultimate "Bad Example" of what to do although I LOVE the appliances I got. We decided to just resurface the cabinets to update the kitchen and put a little higher quality appliance set in. We were lined up to do that and then I (not DW) wanted a wider commercial stove, dual oven that would take a sheet pan, drawer microwave, higher end dishwasher and built in dual compressor fridge / freezer. Also wanted COMMERCIAL GRADE - so looked at Wolfe, Viking, Jen Aire (fell out quickly) and Thermador. We ended up with Thermador because of the star shaped burners and convection dual oven. Dishwasher carries Thermador name but is really a Bosch like the three drawer described in an earlier post. Again, both of us LOVE the appliances but once you change the form factor of the appliances EVERYTHING IN THE KITCHEN GOES. Counters, cabinets, vent hood and even wiring and plumbing because we also wanted all of the water including pot filler on a three stage filter system. This is how you take a $6K appliance list up to a $50K kitchen

Last edited:
Going on Two years.
Samsung induction cooktop-Love it.
Samsung double wall oven-Love it.
Samsung microwave-Love it.
Samsung dishwasher-Love it.

5 years old.
Samsung top load high efficiency washer-Love it.

2 months old.
Kenmore Elite French door refrigerator- Too soon to tell.

what?.. why on earth would a W/D have wifi:confused: for what possible purpose?

Some folks like to monitor the status of operations to know what stage things are and when they are finished, remote control, integrate with Echo/Home/whatever, as well as alerts for planned/potential maintenance actions/issues Yeah, crazy, but that is how they sell it to distinguish themselves from the competition.

I always thought this would be a good feature in laundromats, to be able to check in advance if machines were free, be able to load and run errands and get an alert to remind you to get back before the cycle ended to free up the machine for others, etc. But for home, not much. OTOH, every new home appliance seems to be moving to "smart" mode with wifi access... brave new world... :)

well, i’m certainly not a luddite but i think that’s a solution in search of a problem.

After reading the tales on here and reviews of modern machines with short lives - I bought a used takeout dishwasher from a lady several blocks away. About 10 years newer than our failed unit, much quieter, and cost about double what the part that I thought would fix our machine would have cost. No warranty, but GE continues to sell pretty much the same model, so my hope is that they have it fairly glitch free. New to us machine works very well and is quieter (I added the sound insulation blanket from the old machine for a double sound blanket, which may have helped). We'll keep our eyes open for replacements for the other appliances. Cooking just doesn't play that big a role in our lives, though I sure admire the gear some of you have!

Moved into a newly built house in early June of this year, so new Whirlpool appliances: gas cooktop (like it a lot), dishwasher (pretty good, but not as quiet as our old KitchenAid - also a plastic interior instead of a stainless tub), microwave (hey, it's a microwave, but it actually cooks evenly), and a 30" single in-wall electric oven.

Let's talk about the oven. The good: Large interior, cooks food very evenly and fast once it has pre-heated (which can take a while). I do miss the convenience of our old double ovens, but the kitchen in our old house could only fit a 24" double oven. Small ovens, and I always needed to use both when I baked cookies. The new oven is large enough to handle a full batch all at once.

The bad: It's a "smart" oven? Why? Who is going to put food into an oven and then have a delay to start cooking? The oven has Wi-Fi capability, but it's wasted. The oven has a date and time field (why the need for a date?). Any time we have even the smallest of power outages, the clock resets back to January 1 at time 12:00am.

This is a modern appliance, for heaven's sake. Where's the capability to store the date and time via backup battery within the electronics? Short of that, why can't the oven's Wi-Fi automatically check for date and time updates at least once a day? It doesn't. Also, the clock on the oven has a nasty habit of gaining about a minute every 5 days (the microwave never seems to need a manual update). Add that to a touch screen that is extremely user-unfriendly. If it wasn't for the fact that this oven cooks food very well, I would have eaten the cost and gotten something else.

One day, 5 or 6 years ago, my wife & I discovered that we both hated our 15 year old refrigerator. We went shopping without the stress of having to replace it right away and settled on a Samsung with French doors & a drawer. It was our first refrigerator with ice and water in the door and we love that feature. What may surprise you was the fact that we like the drawer the best. It can be set to its own temperature. We set it to 33 and use it as a meat and soda can drawer. Meat lasts stays fresh MUCH longer at 33 than at 38 degrees. If you didn't want to store the soda there, you can set it to 29 for even longer freshness.

Last edited:
$80k kitchen reno a couple of years ago including $14k of KitchenAid black stainless appliances. Built in convection microwave is loud and we never use the convection feature. French door fridge with bottom freezer is ok but hate the location of the filtered water inside the left door, gas range with electric oven is ok but oven fan is loud, wine fridge is fine and dishwasher excellent, very quiet and cleans everything extremely well.

The black stainless finish is great, zero fingerprints and looks great.

what?.. why on earth would a W/D have wifi:confused: for what possible purpose?
To attract Millennial and Generation Z.

We have a Samsung W/D pair, top load with the new small agitator. 2 years. So far, so good. But the Wifi was beyond useless. Didn't work well. App stunk. All I wanted was for it to notify us when the load was done. Couldn't. I got these gratis as a product evaluator, otherwise, I would not bother with that feature.

Other experience:
- Whirlpool fridge 1: OK for 5 years, then started having drain line freeze ups. Had to thaw every 6 months. Got another Whirlpool, now 2 years old, and just fine so far. Recently got a note in the mail saying there was a class action that would pay for the freezing problem. I did my own work so I couldn't collect.

- Kitchen Aid over the stove microwave. Looked good, terrible. The fully electronic door would fail to open and actually get stuck with a relay clicking wildly. The only way to stop this was to unplug it. (Had to get on a stool to yank the cord inside the cabinet.) Replaced it at 10 months.

- Whirlpool D/W. Fine at 3 years. Replaced a still working, but stained, Sears of 10 years vintage, which was actually a rebranded Whirlpool.

- GE Stove. At month 5, would randomly just shut off. A real bummer during baking. They never could find the source since it was so intermittent. Replaced all the electronics. No go. We lived with it for 5 years, then replaced with a Maytag. That's now 2 years old and doing OK so far.

- LG dehumidifier: still good at 3 years. Actually does well determining humidity levels. Not sure I trust LG, but this one works for us.

Give me the old mechanical appliances please! Most electronic ones seem to have glitches galore.

Last edited:
New appliances about 2 years ago (moved, did a reno)...

Frigidaire - monster sized Fridge/freezer love. I noticed the innards of these two units say electrolux. Here's a link - they are standalone side by side units - counter depth.
https://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Freezers/Single-Door-Freezer/FGFU19F6QF/
We have the same side by side full freezer/full refrigerator. Love them. So great to open a freezer door and actually be able to see everything inside.

Also got a series 5 Viking 6 burner gas range. Love the gas coming from electric.
Bosch dishwasher is so quiet you need to look at the red light projected on the floor to realize it's working.

Last edited:
Speed Queen: There's a reason you see them in all the laudromats!

...they never break down!

It was pricier than other washers, with far fewer bells & whistles...but I figure that also means less stuff to break down.

We've enjoyed it for the past year with nary a hiccup, seems like a solid appliance that will go the distance.

Don

Back
Top Bottom