Are you pleased with your new appliances a year later?

i should’ve added that the 10-yr old frigidare ‘fridge we moved to the new house in 1988 has been living and working in the garage ever since. 41-yrs and still going strong. they don’t make ‘em like they used to.

Useful thread, given the age of our appliances. Most were bought in 1984 when we bought our house, and still functioning well. The dishwasher was added later, and may actually be the first to fail.

I've replaced the 35 year old Maytag dryer heater element twice, don't remember ever touching the washer. I don't think the newer appliances will supply that level of durability.

All of the appliances are white, which might be hard to buy these days. But I'm afraid fingerprints on stainless steel finishes will really trigger my OCD.

All of the appliances are white, which might be hard to buy these days. But I'm afraid fingerprints on stainless steel finishes will really trigger my OCD.

LG uses what they call 'PrintProof' SS for their appliances, other manufacturers may offer something similar. I don't see any finger prints on my LG SS appliances.

Bosch dishwasher is fantastic, super quiet and clean dishes.
Samsung refrigerator sucks, common issue where the auto defrost doesn’t work. The drain hole freezes and causes the whole unit to freeze up. It can’t lol anymore and then you end up with quarts of water in the bottom of the fridge. I installed a longer defrost element in the drain hole but no luck. Never again.

We had a Bosch dishwasher that was super quiet at the house we sold last year. At our current house, there is a newish Kitchen Aid dishwasher. When I moved in, I assumed I wouldn't like it and would get a new Bosch. But, this Kitchen Aid is very quiet and works fine so we have kept it.

If you choose Bosch for a dishwasher be sure to buy a higher-end model.

A few years ago Consumer Reports had recommended one of its lower-end models (under $1,000)...but later user reviews on the website noted that model started breaking in as little as 18 months.

We can afford a new kitchen set. So we started looking and, what luck, appliance packages are on sale all over for 10, 20, 30, 40% off! Wowzer! Looking for a gas 30" range, side by side frig/freezer, dishwasher, and over range microwave/vent. White by preference. A griddle like our $25 1950s gas range up north has would be nice. So white is no longer a normal appliance color. Huh. Stainless? ugh, but ok. We visit Costco and Home Depot and learn that the sheet metal on today's appliances must be tinfoil gauge, because every appliance we looked at looked like it had suffered hail damage and handles were coming off. To really drive home the insult the sets started around $2500 and quickly moved toward $10,000! Just because we can afford something doesn't mean it is worth it. I don't want to be able to start the Samsung microwave with my phone; I don't need a WiFi enabled frig with a door in door that lights up to show the leftovers inside. I want things that make hot, keep cold, and wash dishes. Gal wants appliances that match.
We both want reliable.

Go to a specialty appliance store instead of Home Depot or Costco if you want quality. Fortunately we have one nearby that also sells online (Universal Appliance and Kitchen Center) and has very good prices. We replaced our Bosch dishwasher last year (lasted 12 years) with another and it works well and is ultra quiet (even better than the previous one). All other stainless steel appliances we have are still working well and are in great condition. Just avoid the cheap lines from GE, LG, Samsung, and Kenmore appliances. If you want to buy GE, buy the GE Monogram line. We have those in our Florida condo and they are built much better than the lines they sell at Home Depot. Go with brands like Wolf, Fisher& Paykel, Bosch, Miele, and Viking if you are worried about build quality. We own three homes and the last thing we want to worry about is appliances breaking down every few years.

I had a Bosch dishwasher for 4 years before it died. We bought it because Bosch had a great reputation. It was quiet, but we had a few issues with it before it died. Replaced it with an LG which I really liked. It was quiet and washed dishes well. Only had it two years before I moved out, so I don’t know how long it would have lasted.

For the new place, I ordered another LG. Hopefully it won’t have any issues for a long time.

Refrigerators with the ice maker and water inside break less frequently so that’s what we bought this time. We don’t replace appliances until they die or need a expensive repair.

I bought three new appliances when I moved into my Dream Home, over four years ago.

1. Kenmore freezer-on-top refrigerator with ice maker in the freezer
2. LG large capacity He top load washer
3. LG large capacity gas dryer to match the washer

I used Consumer Reports to help me choose the washer and dryer; I am usually happy with their reviews and was this time as well. I had the same refrigerator at my last house, so I knew I would like it. The refrigerator was quite inexpensive; the washer and dryer were somewhat costly IMO.

I am still quite happy with all three. None have required any repairs and all are still functioning perfectly. The refrigerator seems a little noisier here (perhaps due to the hardwood floors instead of carpet here) but I quickly got used to it.

My refridgerator died last week so I got forced into buying one. Got it at Costco because it was $100 less than elsewhere and they didn't charge to haul off the old one (or to deliver and install). Guy was even nice and hooked up the water line although he said he wasn't supposed to since I don't have a water shut off valve right behind the fridge. Plus he climbed under the sink to turn off/on the valve. I went with a plain jane stainless french door by GE. My main requirement was that it was no wider than 33" inches and it be counter depth. The full size fridge I had before overwhelmed the kitchen (very small kitchen). So far I'm happy with it.

I’m having new appliances delivered tomorrow. I can’t answer how I’ll like them in a year from now, but I know that I’ll be happier than with my current appliances.

New fridge. It’s an LG french door style. I don’t like side-by-side fridges. It has a water dispenser on the outside, which is one my requirements. Other than that, I don’t care about WIFI, much less than having cameras inside the fridge.

New dishwasher. Also an LG. 44db. That’s the most important part for me. I want it to be quiet. Stainless steel tub is also nice.

My philosophy is that these appliances will last about 10 years and much like I do cars, I buy in the midrange. I’d rather spend the extra cash for something else.

Hope you have better luck than me. Every single appliance I bought from LG has failed very quickly, including the french door fridge (just out of warranty). Hoping you have a better experience

Hope you have better luck than me. Every single appliance I bought from LG has failed very quickly, including the french door fridge (just out of warranty). Hoping you have a better experience

I hope I have a better one as well. We have an LG French door fridge and have a year old LG washer and dryer (front load on both). So far it has been fine. But, you just don't really know. We had a terrible time with getting the fridge. The first two delivered to me arrived damaged. We had to buy a small refrigerator to use waiting for one to get here (LG did pay for that -- they were actually very responsive to the problem).

I mentioned earlier that I had a Bosch dishwasher that I loved. And, I did. But, that was my second Bosch dishwasher. Years ago, I had a Bosch dishwasher I bought at Sears. It broke continuously. To the point that eventually Sears gave us $1200 in store credit to replace it. The point is that every manufacturer will have occasional products that are lemons and fail. Of course I will still be annoyed if that LG fridge fails given how expensive it was....

I hope I have a better one as well. We have an LG French door fridge and have a year old LG washer and dryer (front load on both). So far it has been fine. But, you just don't really know. We had a terrible time with getting the fridge. The first two delivered to me arrived damaged. We had to buy a small refrigerator to use waiting for one to get here (LG did pay for that -- they were actually very responsive to the problem).

I mentioned earlier that I had a Bosch dishwasher that I loved. And, I did. But, that was my second Bosch dishwasher. Years ago, I had a Bosch dishwasher I bought at Sears. It broke continuously. To the point that eventually Sears gave us $1200 in store credit to replace it. The point is that every manufacturer will have occasional products that are lemons and fail. Of course I will still be annoyed if that LG fridge fails given how expensive it was....

Our top of the line LG fridge failed after a couple of years. Took over a week to get it fixed due to parts not being available anywhere in Southern CA. LG gave us $150 but the whole thing cost us more than that and now we will never buy LG again.

Replaced the old dehumidifier that finally said it was enough. Since we are in Fl. it was worked pretty hard so we bought a new dehumidifier from Costco - a Whirlpool. So far it has been a champ. Some days when it is really humid and raining we may have to empty it a few time during the day. Fortunately there are a some dry days when it gets a rest.

Cheers!

New kitchen appliances 2.5 yrs ago.

Samsung refrig with side by side and drawers - multiple failures. Awful. Terrible customer service. Hate them!

Kitchenaid dishwasher - multiple failures include controller and entire cleaning assembly, twice on the cleaning (pump, etc)

Kitchenaid microwave - both door switches six months apart.

Kitchenaid stove - no failures, but glass top scratches.

Sigh.

Last edited:
Hotpoint washer and dryer, aged 23:
- Replaced one bimetal switch on the dryer several years ago.
- Replaced timer mechanism this year. Timer was still functional, but the plastic tabs holding it in place finally disintegrated. (~$100)

Replaced all major kitchen appliances in 2010:
- Replaced oven ignitor a few months ago ($40)
- Replaced main power board on the fridge, also a few months ago ($190)

All work done “in house”.

No other issues, knock on faux wood...

GE stove/cooktop and KitcheAide dishwasher doing fine.
We buy mid-range appliances.

I hope my LG appliances hold up well. If not, I’ll revive the thread. :)

In addition to the fridge/dishwasher, I ordered and canceled an LG washer/dryer. Apparently you can only get the washer with a left hinge door, which doesn’t work in the closet where it’ll be installed. It would open away from the wall and most likely hit the closet door.

I ended up ordering an Electrolux washer/dryer, which I learned is the only company that allows you to install the door on either side.

New appliances about 2 years ago (moved, did a reno)...

Thermador gas range - love
Thermador dishwasher - ok
LG washer / dryer (front load) - fingers crossed, so far so good but I preferred my old maytags by a large margin as they seemed to get clothes cleaner
Ventahood stove vent hood - love but it's noisy (moves mucho air however)
Frigidaire - monster sized Fridge/freezer - love. I noticed the innards of these two units say electrolux. Here's a link - they are standalone side by side units - counter depth.
https://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Freezers/Single-Door-Freezer/FGFU19F6QF/

Last edited:
In 2014 we renovated the kitchen in our former home. I checked Consumer Reports and got a simple Kenmore fridge with bottom freezer and french doors. Ice maker inside the freezer and no water dispenser. Heck- I could walk a couple of feet to the faucet for water.

Also got a GE over the range microwave. A GE flat top, electric slide in range with 2 ovens and a convection feature. Cost a lot of money but I loved it. Totally push button electronic. We mainly used the smaller top oven- rarely the bottom. Just two of us. Then I got a Bosch dishwasher. Bought them all on line at Sears as Sears had all of them and I also was able to negotiate price with an on line rep.

Fast forward we are having a little retirement home built out of state and I am purchasing upgraded GE appliances- including the washer and dryer- through the builder. Yes, we are paying more doing it this way but with everything involved in moving it is worth it to me. I didn't bother with a Consumer Reports subscription because GE is who the builder uses, so I tried to check on line reviews elsewhere and hoping for the best.

Did get a counter depth fridge because the kitchen is small. French doors ad bottom freezer. (really don;t like bottom freezers as you have to dig through things to find anything, but don't like top freezers or side by sides either. Ideally I would love a separate freezer and fridge in the kitchen. but you need a huge kitchen for that!)

Only appliance not upgraded is the over the range microwave, but I did choose an electric slide in range- one oven though- and a dishwasher where the controls are concealed in the inside of the door. All are stainless steel.

Washer and dryer have wifi but I could care less. Just chose them based on some reviews and capacity and because they are modern. Diamond Gray. The washer is a top loader as I hate the front loaders. And yes- it has an agitator which I also like.

Cannot recommend a Bosch dishwasher enough. The third silverware drawer on the top means more room on the other two shelves. It's quiet and gets everything really clean. Got it about 2 years ago.E]

Cannot recommend a Bosch dishwasher at all. I got one to replace a 5 year old "contractor grade". The Bosch was great for a couple of years and then it stopped working. Although I don't recall the details parts alone were >$150. I replaced it with a Whirlpool that was almost as quiet but far cheaper.

We did a TOTAL kitchen remodel back in 2010, razing everything from the brick walls to the bare concrete floor. Then, we started fresh, after five years of very-detailed planning, with me as Project Manager. Wife & I are both retired engineers, & used AutoCAD to send 3D drawings back & forth, often daily, so we gave our purchases a LOT of thought.

Good things:

Thermador gas range - 8-burner, with grill, two ovens, & ceiling exhaust fan, expensive & worth every penny!
Bosch dishwashers - Yup, two of them, think about it
Two refrigerators - no freezers, no icemakers
Two upright freezers - located in adjacent room
Standalone icemaker - dedicated water supply
Spice refrigerator - undercounter
Hardrock-maple counters - forget the granite & quartz!

Bad things:

Kenmore Elite crappliances - Total junk! Six years later, I had replaced ALL of them, refrigerators, freezers, & microwave - never shopped at Sears again, after they refused to stand behind their products!

Back
Top Bottom