Ashes at sea , slight mishap

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We sent off the ashes of a yacht club member today ( he was 85) His family decided to have his ashes in the pockets of a favorite pair of shorts, with his favorite hat on top. 3 miles out. Slight situation. The shorts and hat would not sink. Hoping his ashes don't end up on the beach.

We usually use a basket , and it floats for a few minutes.

Note to self, next time , a few rocks in the pockets .

Rocks...a good idea...
I'm betting that he's the kind of guy that would appreciate the situation (smile!)

We sent off the ashes of a yacht club member today ( he was 85) His family decided to have his ashes in the pockets of a favorite pair of shorts, with his favorite hat on top. 3 miles out. Slight situation. The shorts and hat would not sink. Hoping his ashes don't end up on the beach.

I would not think of this as a "slight mishap". You did just as the family wanted. Think of it as the member getting a last cruise around the water of his beloved area. :flowers:

Look at it this way, the ashes will more than likely work there way out of the pockets and be spread all over the sea. Better coverage for him.

Another tip: Use some sort of container; don't just dump the ashes. There's always some breeze, and, well, I won't get any more graphic than that.

Another tip: Use some sort of container; don't just dump the ashes. There's always some breeze, and, well, I won't get any more graphic than that.

Great scene in The Big Lebowski about that.

I hear you. Back when I was a Navy submariner, we scattered the ashes of the boat's first navigator before we submerged. I was the Protestant lay leader (subs don't have chaplains), so it fell to me to carry the box of cremains around all day until we got to the proper point and then go topside and scatter them. As is usual on the water, there was a breeze and I ended up wearing some of him.

The club usually does about 6 of these a year for members and family. This was the first " ashes in the pockets".

For 3 decades, one member hand wove a basket for each ash urn. When it was her turn to go on the eternal cruise last year, a younger member took over the duty.

The average member age is currently 73, so a lot are going on the eternal cruise.

We did some of my mom's ashes on a cruise as she loved cruising annually the last few years...

They require a special box that will biodegrade... my sister found out how fast when she touched some of the paper with a wet hand and it started to disintegrate....

It is interesting that they give you a form with the coordinates where you drop her off...

We did some of my mom's ashes on a cruise as she loved cruising annually the last few years...

They require a special box that will biodegrade... my sister found out how fast when she touched some of the paper with a wet hand and it started to disintegrate....

It is interesting that they give you a form with the coordinates where you drop her off...

I suppose some folks might, perhaps even years later, like to look at a map of the world, locate the co-ordinates, and show the great great grandkids "this is where we scattered her ashes"!

My first thought was why are people putting garbage in the ocean with the ashes. Glad to hear about the biodegradable containers.

Cheapest is to chop 'em up & then haul 'em to the nearest pig farm... :)
Well, cheapest and easiest is to dump the body in a ditch...if you don't get caught and fined! :LOL: I always joke that that would be fine by me, as I'll be dead and won't care a whit one way or the other, but my spouse/kid can do whatever they like, as IMO funerals are for the living.

Well, cheapest and easiest is to dump the body in a ditch...if you don't get caught and fined! :LOL: I always joke that that would be fine by me, as I'll be dead and won't care a whit one way or the other, but my spouse/kid can do whatever they like, as IMO funerals are for the living.

I probably shouldn't post after being up all night with insomnia and watching cheesy horror movies...

I suspect that the deceased is past caring about his ashes floating to shore or sinking.

I did the plane thing for friends. There were stories of someone blowing back into the cabin, not pleasant that one. The other story was uncle Ned getting the last laugh and sandblasting the paint off the leading edge of the stabilizer.
I took all those stories and made a device for my plane, and tested it with flour.
It had been modified to do photogrammetry in 1960. There was a huge camera hole in the baggage area, and round one 8.5" in diameter for the intervalometer.
That one was conveniently located in the aft seating area. I made a venturi with a large funnel. A passenger could pour the urn contents in the funnel and out they went.

My first thought was why are people putting garbage in the ocean with the ashes. Glad to hear about the biodegradable containers.

Of a similar vein, I was thinking of the poor SOB that might get a hat/pants stuck in his prop as he cruises the lake. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom