Attic Access w/o stairs/ladder?

Anyone install a pull down ladder to get attic access? How hard was that?

I helped a friend install his. Easy install for 2 people - if the ladder frame fits the opening.

I want to put one in, but my access now is about 3'x3'. I haven't seen a pull down that will fit my opening without additional framing and drywall. And possibly involve cutting some existing ceiling joists.

This is the ultimate solution - a powered attic lift. https://theatticlift.com

Anyone install a pull down ladder to get attic access? How hard was that?
I installed a pull and fold down ladder about 35 years ago. I have high ceilings and couldn’t find a unit to fit so I went with one about 4 inches short. I cut extensions of the right length. They swivel up out of the way when I raise the ladder.

I helped a friend install his. Easy install for 2 people - if the ladder frame fits the opening.

I want to put one in, but my access now is about 3'x3'. I haven't seen a pull down that will fit my opening without additional framing and drywall. And possibly involve cutting some existing ceiling joists.

This is the ultimate solution - a powered attic lift. https://theatticlift.com

I actually have something like that, although mine is made by VersaLift, out in my garage. We have an 11 foot ceiling out there, and a set of pull down steps to access it. I discovered late in the building stage that the angle of the steps was so steep there was no way I could carry a box up them without potentially falling backwards. So we installed the lift and it's been an amazing purchase. I use it all the time, and the only problem I ever had with it was that I had to replace the switch on the control after 10 or 11 years of use. Since it's out in the garage there's plenty of room for it. I just move DW's car out of the bay when I need to lower it. So I can only move stuff in or out of the attic on sunny days.

^versalift looks like it would suit my needs. I have no problem climbing a ladder or stairs to get into the attic. But carrying something up into the attic without being able to use my hands to hold on is a problem.

I hear you can rent ladders. Or ask someone else to borrow one or just buy a cheap one.

Our DD bought a nice town-home and we finally got to visit, and of course she had a few jobs for me, and I had a list of things to check out.

There are can lights in the upstairs bedrooms, and they looked like they weren't installed well, had some visible gaps (my infra-red temperature gun showed some hotter spots around them with the A/C on a hot day). I told her that when it is cooler out, we should take a look up there. She doesn't have a step stool, let alone a ladder. She needs to get a good step stool, as she has been painting and just using a chair. But she really has no need for a ladder, so why spend the bucks and then just have it take up space? So how to get into that attic?

I don't really want to pack up a ladder in the car when we visit. I did some searches on-line, and everything is about the pull down stairs - but she doesn't need the storage space, there's no need to go through the $ and effort to install those, we just want to inspect things, and maybe a little touch-up job on those lights if needed. It would be a one or two time thing.

Then I recalled we have one of those chain/step emergency ladders that fit in a suitcase sized box, stored under our bed. I'm pretty sure that with a step stool I could get the hatch up, and hook the ladder over the edge in the same way it goes over the window sill. Maybe a carpet piece to avoid scuffing the ceiling/trim. Seems do-able.

Similar to this, but ours has chains, not straps along the side:

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-...ements=p_72:2661618011&rnid=2661617011&sr=8-4

Any other suggestions?

TIA - ERD50

Borrow one from your/her neighbor? Buy a 2nd hand cheap one? Better than the chain combination, no?

For the first 37 years in this house, we used a stepladder to get up into the attic over the garage.
Last Fall we had the garage insulated/drywalled/etc, and part of the job was getting one of those pull-down stairs installed. I'm still kicking myself for waiting so long. In addition to the convenience/comfort issues, the pull-down stairs are a major safety improvement as we get older.

Last edited:
Here we go, picture included.

Decided to get the 10.5 ft (3.2M) telescoping ladder for attic access. It works.

But there's a small bootstrap problem. How to set the scuttle cover aside? I can partially extend the ladder and lean against the wall. I tried this, but I risk wall marking. My solution will be to use a small, very lightweight step stool to do that part. As long as:
a) I don't have to carry the 6 or 8 ft step ladder from the basement and
b) I have something long enough to get me to the attic deck
... then I'm good.

The ladder can stay upstairs behind a door, out of the way. It may come in handy a few other places. I also might try to find something to soften the rest point at the top, which is pretty hard plastic. There's always "tape and rags."

Before this solution, I always damaged a wall or door carrying the step ladder through our narrow halls and stairway. Avoiding that is a bonus. The essential part was getting something long enough to get me up there so I don't have to hoist myself up.

Attachments

• atticladder.jpg
    atticladder.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 29
I might just get a new toilet plunger and use that to push the cover up and to the side.

I might just get a new toilet plunger and use that to push the cover up and to the side.
That's a good idea, especially the "new" part. :)

In my case, however, the cover has 11" of insulation piled on top of it. It is fairly heavy. You can see from my picture the deck is on top of two stacked 2x6s. The cover has that same insulation depth.

That's a good idea, especially the "new" part. :)

In my case, however, the cover has 11" of insulation piled on top of it. It is fairly heavy. You can see from my picture the deck is on top of two stacked 2x6s. The cover has that same insulation depth.

You could fasten 2 pulleys inside the attic , one above the center of the opening, and the other about 18 inches to 1 side so a rope from it will hang straight down and come out through the ceiling at the edge of the opening molding.

Then you fasten the rope to the cover center, up to the center pulley, across to the other pulley and down though a hole (gromet) in the ceiling.
Make a loop on the rope that passes through the ceiling, then a short handle with a hook and pull down the rope to lift up the trapdoor.

Due to 2 pulleys, the weight won't be an issue, the issue will be getting the door to lift up pretty straight, also need to hook the loop onto something when the door is lifted up, so it stays up.

Interesting idea!

I had to get up in the attic today. I chickened out trying to boost myself up using my 6' step ladder. Got my extension ladder out and it was fine, but it's a pain to carry up stairs all the time. Then I needed to just reach up to get something, so I pulled out the step ladder. I guess I didn't have it set quite right because it started to buckle on me as I was on the second from the top step. Luckily I could grab the edges of the attic portal and not have too much weight on the ladder as I managed to straighten it out enough to go down.

My next step was to get on Amazon and buy that same telescoping ladder that JoeWras bought.

Recently bought the telescoping ladder, works well for the attic and working on the RV

Back
Top Bottom