Attic Access w/o stairs/ladder?

OK, we're talking about a small extension ladder in a hallway

Extension ladders outside are another animal and I don't think I'd use a telescoping ladder for that, ever.

I have one of those shape shifting lockity-dohicky kind of ladders that the shopping networks sell and fall off of. I'm going to either give it away or sell it. Too heavy, too difficult to lock, and when you do lock it, it typically pinches you.

Now for the safety videos. I've seen these, some are funny, others are instructional.

Mistake 1: not setting up your ladder and rushing. Both home shopping videos are examples of this. In the first video, the guy has it too tight to the wall so that's why he missed a rung. He rushed the setup, probably to make a point. In the second video, he is just talking and not checking anything.

Mistake 2: never mix trees and ladders. You will never see a pro tree trimmer use a ladder. Why? Watch the videos #2 and 10. BTW, a church friend ended up with life altering brain damage from an accident he believes is a copy of top 10 number 10. He's not sure, because he doesn't remember the accident, nor anything the 6 months after.

Mistake 3: setting the angle incorrectly, not digging in or securing the feet. Always dig the feet in, or put a stake. But first get the correct angle! This is the major error on the rest of the videos, along with not having a tall enough ladder in a few.

Last edited:
I have one of those shape shifting lockity-dohicky kind of ladders that the shopping networks sell and fall off of. I'm going to either give it away or sell it. Too heavy, too difficult to lock, and when you do lock it, it typically pinches you.

Those are incredibly heavy for what they do. I've never known anyone who used one more than once.

Those are incredibly heavy for what they do. I've never known anyone who used one more than once.
What?? They are the greatest thing since sliced bread!

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...-greatest-thing-since-sliced-bread-98791.html

My position is unchanged from the couple of posts I made in that thread, which match Joe's experience exactly. Too heavy, and too prone to pinch me as I adjust it. But there are some applications for me where it is by far the best and safest ladder for me to use.

DW bought me one of those about 30 years ago. Every time I use it, I mutter to myself "strength training" :LOL:

Wow, no memory of that thread, but thank goodness Bum and I are consistent in our thoughts about weight and pinching.

I wish I didn't make a comment about losing a finger on the telescope fail, though, now that I'm considering one. :facepalm:

I'm lost

This is a very interesting thread, but I think it needs a poll about ERD50 and whether or not he:

a) Needs to buy his DD a ladder?

b) Should ERD50 do the ladder work at his DD's townhome?

c) Should ERD50's DD's boyfriend use the ladder ERD50 bought to do the work?,

d) Do we know if ERD50's DD has a boyfriend?,

e) Does anyone know what this thread is really about?

f) Should this thread be merged into the Covid19 Forum?

and finally,

g) I have been locked up too long at home. :LOL:

Last edited:
aja emeritus, are you OK? Did you recently fall off a ladder? :angel:

Mistake 3: setting the angle incorrectly, not digging in or securing the feet. Always dig the feet in, or put a stake. But first get the correct angle!
Ya, I noted that sliding bottom on what must have been a slippery surface. I've been working a lot with ladders the last few days, with some more to go. It's put a bit of caution in me, 65 year old bones don't heal as fast. Also I think they put to much weight on the ladder above the roof edge the was now a fulcrum and caused the feet out to slide out.

This is a very interesting thread, but I think it needs a poll about ERD50 and whether or not he: ....

and finally,

g) I have been locked up too long at home. :LOL:

Hah! I really thought this would be a dud thread, such a dull question, but I guess everyone has been locked up too long!

And now I just realized, I have no idea how tall a 6' step ladder is. The obvious answer is: 6 feet. But does the trigonometry that cathy63 brought up come into play? Glancing at a few on Amazon, I don't see dimensions. Some give "reach height", which is kinda useful, but then you need all the caveats (person height and reach). And when I looked at step stools like I have, they don't list the height of the top step (which I think would be good info, along with "reach height" if they really like that). One for the pet peeves thread, I guess.

OK, I measured my very, very old aluminum step ladder. Wasn't sure if it was a 6' one or not, I assumed so, but yes, the sticker is still on it "6 Foot - Montgomery Wards" (I told you it was old!). So the leg is 6', and it is 5' 9" at the top to floor, set up. For extra credit, calculate the angle.

-ERD50

Angle from vertical = 16.6 deg.
Angle from horizontal 73.4 deg.

Angle from vertical = 16.6 deg.
Angle from horizontal 73.4 deg.

Extra, extra credit for including both frames of reference! Not that you can do anything with any credit from me, extra or otherwise! But there ya go.

So here's a fun solution, would just need to stack a couple:

-ERD50

Oh, dear. I will be quiet, I will...the assumptions...
Well...the first line in the OP was
Our DD bought a nice town-home and we finally got to visit, and of course she had a few jobs for me, and I had a list of things to check out.
so if you saying the assumption is that she can't do it herself, that's not really an assumption, is it? In this case?

Ya, I noted that sliding bottom on what must have been a slippery surface. I've been working a lot with ladders the last few days, with some more to go. It's put a bit of caution in me, 65 year old bones don't heal as fast. Also I think they put to much weight on the ladder above the roof edge the was now a fulcrum and caused the feet out to slide out.
Yeah, the one with the big man climbing a flimsy lightweight ladder all the way to the top. The ladder bowed, the geometry changed, and chaos....

A couple others had short ladders against the soffit. Once loaded, the ladder bowed and sunk a bit. Under the soffit it goes, then chaos...

#6 is classic. Guy is "holding" the ladder for a friend. Hands in pocket, disinterested. When the ladder slips, it is too late.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh, dear. I will be quiet, I will...the assumptions...
Well...the first line in the OP was
Quote: Our DD bought a nice town-home and we finally got to visit, and of course she had a few jobs for me, and I had a list of things to check out.

so if you saying the assumption is that she can't do it herself, that's not really an assumption, is it? In this case?

Simple explanation, not sexist at all. I'm simply more experienced at DIY than my DD. I grew up on a farm, and I did a ton of sweat equity on my houses. She understands that, and acknowledges my experience. She's actually pretty good at fixing things and troubleshooting things herself. When she calls for help, she usually has done some research before hand.

Other DD is also very good, and has done good repairs. Out of our three kids, my son is probably the least capable in that area. No assumptions, just the way it is in our family.

-ERD50

They are heavy.
However, they are great for sticking in the van to take to the rental, no tying a ladder on the roof racks (that I don't have), only to see it fly off on the highway.

I had 2 so I gave the smaller one to DD.

Adjustable stilts that are used when spackling/painting. They are light weight, adjust to various heights, easy to store. Your daughter can rent you out to entertain at parties to recoup the price to purchase.

Adjustable stilts that are used when spackling/painting. They are light weight, adjust to various heights, easy to store. Your daughter can rent you out to entertain at parties to recoup the price to purchase.

Ha ha.

Yet another reason I believe there is a hell, and everyone in that hell is sanding drywall ceilings, on stilts, with no mask and no goggles.

I've got one of those. They are great, but not that easy to move around compared to the telescoping ones. I've got a number of ladders, and the Werner one is my favorite. But I still think that for what ERD is looking for the telescoping one would be best. It can be stored under a bed or in the closet where the attic access is (which is what I do). But for general use, that Werner Multiposition ladder kicks ass.

I've got one of those. They are great, but not that easy to move around compared to the telescoping ones. I've got a number of ladders, and the Werner one is my favorite. But I still think that for what ERD is looking for the telescoping one would be best. It can be stored under a bed or in the closet where the attic access is (which is what I do). But for general use, that Werner Multiposition ladder kicks ass.

Ditto, plus OP would need to measure the width of the attic opening to be sure the multi-position ladder fits inside , as some widen quite a bit at the ends.

Back
Top Bottom