Bacon and Kale are dead

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
According to Zagat survey.

8) 81 percent of diners in the U.S. have sent a dish back to the kitchen; 81 percent have also eavesdropped on the table next to them.

9) Surprise, surprise, diners in Portland are still gung-ho about the farm-to-table trend: 88 percent say that they love it.

10) Most diners still love or don't mind Brussels sprouts. Only 18 percent of people on average nationwide are "over it."

11) The majority of people are done with bacon however, especially Minneapolis where 50 percent of diners are completely over it. Only 28 percent nationwide still love bacon on everything.

12) People are equally tired of kale. Just 27 percent of diners across the national love the leafy green. However, some are still obsessed with it enough to name their child after it.

Bacon... a fad?

Oh... and one more item from the article. Do you believe this?
4) Americans eat nearly 50 percent of their lunches and dinners at restaurants — dine-in or take-out. New Yorkers eat those meals out the most (56 percent) while those in Portland eat those meals out the least (38 percent).

Last edited:
I'm in the minority. I hate most vegetables but like kale chips. I eat bacon and eggs about 4-5 times a week and occasionally indulge in a bacon, peanut butter, and toast sandwich. I don't bother cooking bacon wrapped meat or scallops but will snarf them up at a restaurant.

Good thing I saw this thread - it reminded me to take the bacon out of the freezer for Saturday/Sunday breakfasts!:LOL:

Bacon dead, eh? Those that love GMO, gluten free tofu squares can wish all they want!!!

When I see "farm to table", I just assume the bill is going to be 50% higher than if I gone to Chili's for dinner.

Is there an "artificial" bacon? The reason I ask is that I went to lunch at a nearby Dairy Queen because I wanted a turtle blizzard. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger. The bacon may have been some sort of raw bacon; it definitely didn't look like cooked bacon; it mostly looked like a cutout of a drawing of a piece of bacon hence the question about artificial. No, I didn't eat it.

Last edited:
There's some garbage they sell that looks like kinda cooked bacon, needs no refrigeration. I have no idea what it's actually made of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Is there an "artificial" bacon? The reason I ask is that I went to lunch at a nearby Dairy Queen because I wanted a turtle blizzard. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger. The bacon may have been some sort of raw bacon; it definitely didn't look like cooked bacon; it mostly looked like a cutout of a drawing of a piece of bacon hence the question about artificial. No, I didn't eat it.

I'm going to assume that there is. I think a large variety of "Bac-O-Bits" aren't necessarily the real deal. I still remember day when I found out that Funions didn't have any onions in them!!! :facepalm:

Maybe there should be a new version of a 'club sandwich' with Kale instead of poultry
'toasted bread, Kale, bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo' ore else kale instead of lettuce

My favorite quick breakfast is two slices of bacon with lots of cream cheese on a bagel. Yummm!!! Been on a diet too long...I still eat bacon, but bagels are not in my plan any more :(

Kale being over (bacon over? Puhleeze) reminded me of a Portlandia episode where the Produce Council is meeting about different vegetable and the hapless guy assigned to the celery account whose market is overwhelmed by kale, beets and brussels sprouts. To improve his sales he reaches out to---bacon!

Last edited:
Well, 1/2 right anyway. Kale has pretty much always been dead to me.

I made soup with leftovers last night including some stir fried kale. I liked it. DH regularly buys turkey bacon from Trader Joe's.

Could probably find it on the web somewhere, but my son told me (as we enjoyed a baconified breakfast) that bacon was the meat that most commonly pushed vegetarians off their regimen! Long live bacon!

Nothing like Kale sautéed in a bit of left over from breakfast bacon fat with the left over strips shredded on top.

Nothing like Kale sautéed in a bit of left over from breakfast bacon fat with the left over strips shredded on top.

Yes, this. I make this frequently with my eggs and it is SO good!

Last edited by a moderator:
People are equally tired of kale. Just 27 percent of diners across the national love the leafy green. However, some are still obsessed with it enough to name their child after it.

If we ever have a daughter, we will name her Kale. :dance:

The thread title sounds like a line out of a Spillane novel.
I watched Zelda Harrington slide her long-legged body into the leather chair next to the mansion's fireplace. She crossed her legs at the ankles for effect, and picked up her drink. It was gin. You just knew she was going to be a gin drinker.

"I'm sorry, Detective, but I don't know how I can help you. I sent two of our people to the dock to pick up our merchandise an hour ago, and they won't be back for at least a couple more hours. You're welcome to wait if you'd like. Can I fix you a drink?"

"Look, Mrs. Harrington, I don't expect you to solve this case. Just tell me what you know and I'll take it from there. And I'll take a raincheck on the drink...while I'm on duty."

"It's simple, Detective. I received a telegram saying the Harmony Queen will be arriving tonight. I sent Bacon and Kale down there to pick up our shipment."

"Well, here's something you don't know, Mrs. Harrington. Bacon and Kale are dead."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom