Bad Spellers

unclemick2 said:
Having been brainwashed by years of public school and the University of Washington - long  ago and far away - I actually used good spelling and proper grammer once apon a time.

Years of aerospace slang, practice and hard work can overcome a handicap like this - you don't have to live that way.

Webtv with a sticky keyboard was a great help. Avoid spell checker. Try some Cajun flipping of noun and verb positions for effect. Pick up a tad of internet slang. Practice some 9th ward New Orleans 'talk rite's.'

Stick with it - proper spelling and 'Good English' - can be eridicated in our time.

Unclemick: O.K., you can talk and spell like most folks. (heh, heh, heh). ;)

Please don't make it a habit though.

Your short-hand style forces me to think once in a while. (A good thing).

ben said:
I am not a native English speaker and often see myself type a word I know must be wrong - but as long as the message gets through I do not really care.....  :D

I'm not a native English speaker, either.  I spell OK but I have trouble pronouncing words and putting emphasis on the proper syllables, so I like writing better than speaking.  I prefer sending e-mails at work rather than calling, but some people don't read/comprehend as well as others, so I end up talking to them anyway.

I can understand sentences even with mis-spellings.  I have more problems with postings that do not have paragraph breaks, so I often don't read them all the way through.

I would never have guessed Ben and flipstress weren't native English speakers if they hadn't said so. They spell and communicate better than most of us.

The board does have a spellcheck feature, but the server doesn't have the pspell module installed to support it so it doesn't work.

OK Al, I downloaded the iespell thing, now how do I use it? I find it in add/remove programs but can't find it elsewhere. Could my pop up blocker be killing it? Not only can I not spell I'm computer challenged.......Shredder

BigMoneyJim said:
... They spell and communicate better than most of us.

I had years and years of English classes in school, from kindergarten onwards.  The US introduced public education to the Philippines, and English was the medium of instruction. 

There was a brief spell of nationalism (in the 60's?), so some government body had to invent words for "airplane", "chair", etc.  Their usage didn't catch on much because they were quite strange and funny-sounding.  (Spoken, everyday Filipino is nothing like the formal, written communications.  There are lots of Spanish words used in everyday language because Spain was there for over 300 years.)

Now, if I only had a brain something useful, clever, or profound to say, I could put these spelling and grammar skills to good use.  :)

flipstress said:
Now, if I only had a brain something useful, clever, or profound to say, I could put these spelling and grammar skills to good use.  :)

Hey Flipstress, you have plenty to say. Your warmth and good sense come through clearly. You are one of the people whose posts I always read. So please keep them coming.

Ha

Hi Shredder,

Try clicking the right mouse button ...... ieSpell should be there
if you downloaded ok.

Cheers,

Charlie

It's there now, must of needed to restart my computer, as it was not there yesterday. thanks shredder

Back
Top Bottom