Baseball 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have I missed a new thread on this topic? Here’s one just in case.

I think this is the one. Thanks for starting it.

I will say right now that the new rules--pitch clock, bigger bases, the banning of infield shifts--will lead to a new resurgence in the popularity of baseball.

With the bigger bases, I predict there will be at least 30 players with 25+ stolen bases. Last year there were 12 in all of MLB.

The pitch clock is soooo important. This rule change will be praised to high heaven starting in June (possibly earlier) by just about everyone interested in baseball.

Banning of infield shifts will mean the reclamation of some left-handed pull hitters batting average. There will be more hits, overall. Second baseman will have to be athletic and very good at fielding.

Bring on the season!

Last edited:
I look forward to baseball. It means spring and warmer temps soon. It was -11F yesterday morning and 6F this morning. A long way to go. Luckily the Twins are on the road the first week.

The rule changes will help. Baseball has not been able to solve the amazing spending differential for teams like the NFL. In the NFL, any team can compete. Some don't, but smaller market teams can do well. That doesn't happen much in baseball.

The TV landscape for baseball is also a complete mess. Local and regional deals. Bankruptcy from the Bally Sports regional networks.

I tend to listen through Gameday Audio on my phone. $29.99 for the full season. Up from $19.99 last year. Everything is 33% more or more.

Good to have baseball back for another season. Go Twins!

We attended the World Baseball Classic semi finals and finals. What a great atmosphere. It was like October baseball.

Not a fan of the clock. IMO it’s gonna put the hands of the umpire vs the players on the field.

We attended the World Baseball Classic semi finals and finals. What a great atmosphere. It was like October baseball.

Not a fan of the clock. IMO it’s gonna put the hands of the umpire vs the players on the field.

I predict you will be a convert to the clock in less than 2 months.

Research the reaction to the pitch clock in the minor leagues. It's been in use for two years now. Not many complaints at all.

The WBC didn't have a pitch clock but I noticed, at least in the games and parts of games I watched, they seemed to be playing as if there was a clock. Did you notice that the pace of the game was a bit quicker than usual?

I've been getting by (sort of) by using mlb.com's Free Game of the Day on my phone or TV app. I also get games either from broadcast or through Sling. You don't get everything but it keeps that summertime feel.

Red Sox/Orioles is the free game today (Opening Day) and the Sox are my AL team, having been a temporary Bostonian. But oh, no! I am right in the Oriole blackout area so no TV feed. BUT they ARE broadcasting the radio feed so all's right with the world. No baseball jones!

Opening day in STL is a day long event for the entire region. Official festivities started about 1/2 hour ago with the Clydesdales circling the field. Followed by the introduction of past all-stars and Hall of Famers and now the players are being introduced. Oh, BTW, they will also play a game:D. Weather is absolutely perfect, about 70F and sunny.

DW is glued to the TV.

Go Cards:dance:

ETA: And now Adam Wainwright, a star pitcher, is singing the National Anthem to start his last year in baseball.

Last edited:
I predict you will be a convert to the clock in less than 2 months.

Research the reaction to the pitch clock in the minor leagues. It's been in use for two years now. Not many complaints at all.

The WBC didn't have a pitch clock but I noticed, at least in the games and parts of games I watched, they seemed to be playing as if there was a clock. Did you notice that the pace of the game was a bit quicker than usual?

I will let you know if I am a convert or not in time. I have/had two college baseball players. Oldest was a relief pitcher and he brought up some good points about how the clock can impact the game in late innings. There is so much going on from a strategy POV in a close game it shifts the advantage to the batter. He talked me through the thought process of various scenarios pitchers have burned in their minds in those late innings.

I always like minor games because most players are hungry and are looking to move up. Most are still green enough that they make mistakes which lends to different outcomes. Having seen the WBC there is no way to convince me that many MLB players during routine seasonal games are just going through the motion collecting a check and playing for nothing.

As for time of the game. I didn't notice it was that much faster. What I did notice was the level of play was more focused rather than just going through the motions in mid innings. I am a huge baseball fan however I think 162 games are way to many. I would rather have more high action games than so many that are just going through routine.

Japan executed a 2 strike bunt vs Mexico(?) that was text book perfect. The US in the final games had everyone trying to go yard (even the little guys) that they didn't execute when they should have. Japan was by far the best team in the tournament.

Will the reduced length of games bring in more fans? I wouldn't hold my breath. You go to games now and people are on their phones or socializing not watching anyway. These fans go for 3 or 4 innings and leave anyway.

Remember that if you are a T-Mobile customer, the free MLB.TV subscription for this season was in this Tuesday's (3/28) T-Mobile Tuesday app.

Well I'll follow my usual tradition for the last ten years or so. I'll watch the first Astro game of the season, then the All Star game and then the world series... That's about it.

I will let you know if I am a convert or not in time. I have/had two college baseball players. Oldest was a relief pitcher and he brought up some good points about how the clock can impact the game in late innings. There is so much going on from a strategy POV in a close game it shifts the advantage to the batter. He talked me through the thought process of various scenarios pitchers have burned in their minds in those late innings.
Maybe they should bump the time a bit in the later innings if the score is close.

For the most part, teams will adjust or they will be negatively affected. Managers or players complaining that the clock cost them the game are really saying they didn't adjust well.

Maybe they should bump the time a bit in the later innings if the score is close.

For the most part, teams will adjust or they will be negatively affected. Managers or players complaining that the clock cost them the game are really saying they didn't adjust well.

Just like mound visit limitations. I would say inning 1-6 put them in place but suspend them in the latter innings. Of course the players union agreed so it is what it is for now.

No. It needs to be a uniformly applied rule.

Yes!

One problem with baseball is the players are not allowed to "play" the game using their instincts and talents. They are programmed by analytics and coached on the micro nuances of what the spreadsheet says they should do in a particular ball/strike count against a particular player in a particular situation. Let the players play the game without informational overload.

As you say, players will adjust or they won't.

Just like mound visit limitations. I would say inning 1-6 put them in place but suspend them in the latter innings. Of course the players union agreed so it is what it is for now.

Baseball has been around for over 150 years. Situations have been played out hundreds of times. Given the pre-game meetings, the scouting reports, the ability to read scouting reports in the dugout, etc.--shouldn't professional baseball players be smart enough to know what to do in a particular situation? Can't the manager brief the pitcher and catcher in between innings as to what he wants done with the next 3 batters, possibly 4 or 5 batters?

I remember the World Series a couple years ago. The Dodgers were the home team so the pitcher would bat. It was the bottom of the third inning and Clayton Kershaw was coming up to bat. Nobody on base. The Red Sox catcher went out to have a mound visit! To discuss what he wanted the pitcher to throw to Kershaw?! Really? You need to have a discussion on how to get the opposing pitcher out? (And yes, I know Kershaw is one of the better hitters for being a pitcher, but still.) <SMH>

Remember that if you are a T-Mobile customer, the free MLB.TV subscription for this season was in this Tuesday's (3/28) T-Mobile Tuesday app.

Thanks for the heads up! I am all signed up and happy I can watch the Twins through the app this year. Super grateful for you sharing this info!

Well I'll follow my usual tradition for the last ten years or so. I'll watch the first Astro game of the season, then the All Star game and then the world series... That's about it.

What? No Vegas bets this year! ;)

Opening day in STL is a day long event for the entire region. Official festivities started about 1/2 hour ago with the Clydesdales circling the field. Followed by the introduction of past all-stars and Hall of Famers and now the players are being introduced. Oh, BTW, they will also play a game:D. Weather is absolutely perfect, about 70F and sunny.

DW is glued to the TV.

Go Cards:dance:

ETA: And now Adam Wainwright, a star pitcher, is singing the National Anthem to start his last year in baseball.

It was a great game even if the Cards lost by 1 run. I have Arenado and 2 Toronto players on my fantasy team so a good day for my team. I also had Donovan sitting on the bench:facepalm:

What? No Vegas bets this year! ;)
Nope, I don't need Vegas sports books anymore... I just need to cross the border into Louisiana. :) But I didn't bet on any opening day games. Looks like a good thing too.

Last edited:
Gotta love (note the sarcasm) the new pitch clock rule. :popcorn:

Bellinger and the Cubs opened a three-game series in Los Angeles on Friday. In his first at-bat at Dodger Stadium since leaving the team, Bellinger was given a long ovation from the Dodgers fans.

The nice moment, however, came to an abrupt end when home plate umpire Jim Wolf called time out and pointed at his wrist, giving Bellinger a pitch clock violation for not getting set in the batter’s box quickly enough.

https://thecomeback.com/mlb/dodgers-cubs-cody-bellinger-pitch-clock.html

Last edited:
Watching Astros Garcia last night against the Rangers, I think the pitch clock rule is definately affecting his game. He is the guy who "rocks the baby" before his normal windup. With the pitch clock that is now gone and he is just not the same pitcher.

Just like a free-throw in basketball most players develop a sequence to get in rhythm and do it the same way every time. With that taken away it has to be a big difference in his game and in the case of Garcia his ERA is definately affected.

Personally I think it is a dumb decision (pitch clock) that is basically meaningless.

If I was a manager and had pitchers that could do a quick pitch, I'd ask them to borderline quick pitch now that the rules favor a hurry up. Back in the old days, some pitchers would borderline balk every pick off move. I'd think teams can try and use the new rules to their favor.

Watching Astros Garcia last night against the Rangers, I think the pitch clock rule is definately affecting his game. He is the guy who "rocks the baby" before his normal windup. With the pitch clock that is now gone and he is just not the same pitcher.

Just like a free-throw in basketball most players develop a sequence to get in rhythm and do it the same way every time. With that taken away it has to be a big difference in his game and in the case of Garcia his ERA is definately affected.

Personally I think it is a dumb decision (pitch clock) that is basically meaningless.

The rule is that the pitcher must begin his motion before the pitch count reaches zero. So long as Garcia starts his "rock the baby" motion before zero, he will not get an infraction.

This should not be an issue for him whatsoever. Maybe his ERA is up because he's not pitching very well at this point in the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom