Baseball 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes sense, but yeah, tough to let the best playing in a generation, perhaps in the history of baseball, slip though your fingers.

I think the size of the trade is going to be enormous. You'd think it would have to be, right?

But, playing devils advocate, can the Angels afford to pay him what is going to be a 400 to 500 million dollar contract, if not more, next year when he's a free agent. They might be reading the tea leaves and be happy to dump the current contract and get what they can.

It's a crazy business.

I so hope the Rangers could acquire him. But I also wonder if whichever team does, will in the doing, destroy their future in the process.

It floors me that the Angels can't put a competitive team together around Ohtani and Trout. I realize Trout is having an off-year, but still...

It makes sense, but yeah, tough to let the best playing in a generation, perhaps in the history of baseball, slip though your fingers.

I think the size of the trade is going to be enormous. You'd think it would have to be, right?

But, playing devils advocate, can the Angels afford to pay him what is going to be a 400 to 500 million dollar contract, if not more, next year when he's a free agent. They might be reading the tea leaves and be happy to dump the current contract and get what they can.

It's a crazy business.

I totally see what you are saying from the business side of not able to afford.

But at the same time, a good way to empty the stadium is to trade him away.

Guess the Angels are in a bit of a catch 22.

One of the draws with Ohtani originally signing with the Angels is because the Angels aren't a top market team.

It floors me that the Angels can't put a competitive team together around Ohtani and Trout. I realize Trout is having an off-year, but still...

The Angels have not been able to draft and develop pitchers for at least a decade. They also can't sign good free agent pitchers or trade for them. (Ohtani excluded, of course.)

Trout is not having his usual excellent year, but I've noticed that pitcher's can run their fastball past him, something that was unthinkable up until this year.

LA is not a top market? It's the #2 media market in the USA.

I'd say of the LA teams, the Dodgers are top draw. Angels not, except for Ohtani now.

Similar to in NY, Yankees are top vs Mets.

In Chicago, Cubs are top draw, White Sox second.

I'm not talking standings, just fan bases.

First time ever that one division has all its teams having 50 wins in just 95 games. AL East.

DH, DS,DGS, and DSiL are having a guys weekend in August and heading to Seattle to watch the Mariners play some games. It will be fun times for them.
DH and DS went to games anytime we were nearby a stadium when we vacationed in the past. They have been to: (don't know all the names, so going with cities on some) Wrigley Field, Fenway, Dodger Stadium, SF stadium, ST Louis, and Seattle, that I can recall.

First time ever that one division has all its teams having 50 wins in just 95 games. AL East.

Just as it's very, very competitive in the AL East, the opposite is true in the woeful AL Central. The Twins are hanging onto first place and are 1 game above .500. There were times where they were in first place and were below .500.

Of the 15 teams in the American League, there are 9 teams outside the AL Central that would be in first place if they were in the Central:

* The entire AL East, 5 teams
* 3 of the 5 teams in the AL West, and after tonight it could be 4 of the 5 teams in AL West

The Twins' so-called superstar, Byron Buxton is batting .196 and strikes out in 36% of his at bats. In the last 7 games he is 1 for 31 with 15 strikeouts in 29 ABs. His OBP on the year is .285.

Carlos Correa is the other "superstar" on the Twins. He's batting .232, up from .217 on June 30th.

The MLB record for the most strikeouts by a team in a season is 1,596 strikeouts, set by the Cubs in 2021. The Twins are on a pace to strikeout 1,642 times this year. They brought in a rookie batting coach this year, a 34 year old guy that made it as far as having a cup of coffee in AA ball. I guess it's not working out...

The Twins have scored 406 runs so far in 2023. Outside of the AL Central only one team in the AL has scored less than 406 runs--the Oakland A's, and they are the worst team in baseball.

Last edited:
Check Fenway off the list. This is from last Sunday. Our Mets losts bigly but was still a great time. Fenway has a great vibe that I couldn't figure out until it hit me. There is something about the old stadiums where you walk out to the field from the enclosed inner concourse and the field kind of unfolds on you. It's magical, and you don't get that same experience with the open concourse field. Being at Fenway reminded me of my days at Shea. Great party atmosphere, and how they turn Jersey street into part of the stadium is a hoot.

Catching a game at Fenway is a must do experience. Now I can't wait for Wrigley next June.

Attachments

• 20230723_142241.jpg
    20230723_142241.jpg
    563.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230723_143229.jpg
    20230723_143229.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230723_143128.jpg
    20230723_143128.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230723_171040.jpg
    20230723_171040.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230723_173157.jpg
    20230723_173157.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230723_185933.jpg
    20230723_185933.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 31
More.

Attachments

• 20230723_144023.jpg
    20230723_144023.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230723_143959.jpg
    20230723_143959.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230723_143930.jpg
    20230723_143930.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230723_173816.jpg
    20230723_173816.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230723_174242.jpg
    20230723_174242.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230723_203246.jpg
    20230723_203246.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 20
Great pics from Boston, Kings!

So the Angels are keeping Ohtani, and he rewards them by pitching a one hit shutout in game 1 of a doubleheader, and hits 2 HRs in the second game for a sweep. Not too bad...

Phillies Michael Lorenzen just pitched a no hitter against Washington.
Nick Castellanos hit two home runs.
Wes Wilson hit a home run at his first Major League at bat, walked twice, stole two bases and scored each time reaching base.
A great game!

I was surfing around MLB.TV last night and saw what was probably the best throw from a catcher to second base to nail a would be baserunner that I've seen in quite a while.

Nico Hoerner of the Cubs was on first base when he attempted to steal second base. He got a great jump but White Sox catcher Yasmani Grandal would have none of it. His throw to second was perfectly placed right on the edge of second base and into the waiting glove of Zach Remillard. Hoerner was sliding head first into the base and his left hand reaching for the base could go nowhere except into the mitt of Remillard, which had just received the throw from Grandal a fraction of a second earlier.

Here's a pic. In this pic you can see the ball just entering Remillard's glove as Hoerner's hand helplessly moves toward caught stealing doom.

Yasmani-Hoerner-Caught-Stealing-081523.jpg

Cubs are toast after getting swept by the Braves. With 3 games left. They have to sweep the Brewers and Marlins lose 2 out of last 3 games. I don't see that happening.

Glad I that I didn't even listen to or watch one full game this year.

Their dive reminds me of 2004 with talk of magic numbers only to not make playoffs.

I’m on pins & needles with my Rangers. They lost a tough one last night. So badly want to see them beat out the arrogant Astros for the division. And I grew up an Astros fan. But I’ve decided Houston just can’t handle having a winner. They’re just not used to it and behave likewise.

Go Rangers!!

Btw, the new rules have been a success. I’ll be honest, I hated them at the start of the season. I still don’t like the shift being outlawed.

But the pitch clock really is good. I think Q’s Laptop said everyone would come to love it. I wasn’t so sure. But now I can affirm my opinion is favorable. Glad it’s there.

I totally lost track... I thought the Astros were toast but it's look like they may still make the playoffs. Maybe? But I'll still root for the Rangers through the post season.

fz0fjxrlphsog2jwsxbb.jpg

Last edited:
Cubs are toast after getting swept by the Braves. With 3 games left. They have to sweep the Brewers and Marlins lose 2 out of last 3 games. I don't see that happening.

Glad I that I didn't even listen to or watch one full game this year.

Their dive reminds me of 2004 with talk of magic numbers only to not make playoffs.

Aren't they only 1/2 game behind the Marlins? Same number of wins and I think Miami has the tie breaker. So the Cubs have to win one more game than the Marlins, who have 4 games left instead of 3. They would also have to stay ahead of StL, who is 1 behind so a total Marlins collapse doesn't guarantee the spot.

Am I missing something? Your scenario can't be the only one. Cubs have the toughest opponent left but the Brewers have the NL Central clinch and can't get a bye the first round, so I expect they are more focused on being ready for the playoffs rather than winning a meaningless series.

I totally lost track... I thought the Astros were toast but it's look like they may still make the playoffs. Maybe?

fz0fjxrlphsog2jwsxbb.jpg

Not sure where that chart came from. But it must be based on projections. The Astros are likely to make the playoffs as either a division winner or wildcard. But it’s not official yet. Same with the Rangers. And Seattle and Toronto. One of those 4 is out. The others are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom