Basic cheap cell phone service

My wife is trying to help her 94 YO aunt. She inadvertently let her cell plan expire. She lives in a small town and has a landline for her med alert pendant but wants a cell phone for backup. Her old plan was a pay/go on ATT but was told they no longer support that plan or her old flip phone.
Any suggestions on which service has cheapest simple plan for a cell phone that is only used occasionally for voice only?

See if you can find a Tracfone flip phone that works on Verizon. In the store, you can tell because the USA map on the front of the box will be red.

Or look into Page Plus; they use Verizon's network.

I have and do use other service, but to me, if I had to have only one phone, it would be Verizon.

Given that the aunt is 94, I'd guess that she might have difficulty with the miniscule size of today's flip phones, their screens and buttons. Let me make a suggestion - the Jitterbug Flip. The phone isn't cheap ($99 list, cheaper on Amazon) but a basic 200 minutes plan is $14.99/mo. It operates on the Verizon network.

I recently reviewed one of these for Amazon Vine and was very impressed with the ease of use of the phone, especially for the vision or mobility impaired. The phone, screen and buttons are large and there are no complex menus. Of particular interest is the dedicated "5Star" button which, if you don't pay for the 5Star service (connects you to a dedicated operator who has info on you and can locate you) calls 911.

Pure Talk Cellular. Affiliated with AT&T. $10 a month for the first phone and another $5 for a second phone. Me and DW have 'em and never run out of minutes.

Two cell phones for $15 a month!! We have had them now for almost 4 years.

Back
Top Bottom