Cell phone interference from pacemaker

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
MIL has had cell phone issues (and dementia) for a while. She picks up the phone to dial out and claims to see "no connection" or something similar on the screen.

She's on her 3rd phone (flip phone) in the past 18 months. Whenever she can't figure out her phone, DW gets her a new one. She's had this problem on the past 2 phones. She also can't figure out where her missed calls come from, or how to use speed dial.

She recently had a pacemaker installed. DW read somewhere that pacemakers give interference to cell phones. Heart Dr. says that pacemaker is on the left side and shouldn't interfere with calls when phone is up to the right ear.

I'm not sure if the problems are old age/dementia related or technological because I can't really get a straight answer from MIL or DW.

Has anyone heard that pacemakers affect cell phone usage?

I'm not sure if the problems are old age/dementia related or technological because I can't really get a straight answer from MIL or DW.

Going through similar with mom the past couple weeks with her cable remote. I tried to tell her there's nothing wrong with the remote. I believe she's pressing the channel numbers too slowly, so the cable box changes after she's entered the first or first two numbers of the three digit channel. She tells me "Well, I'm doing the same as I always do, and it's not working the same, so the problem is with the remote". I relent, take it back to Xfinity, they exchange for a new one. I bring her the new one, open the sealed wrapper in front of her, set it up with the box/TV, she tries it out, same problem...but having seen me open the brand new one right in front of her, cannot say anything other than "I'll work with it some more". Will have to convince her to start using the guide and scrolling to the channel, or set up some favorites on the remote if it can do that.

I have a pacemaker, 5 years now. I also have had a cell phone the whole time. I cannot say I have ever had any phone issues caused by my pacemaker.

A pacemaker does communicate with an outside programming/receiver device, but it must be placed directly above the pacemaker on your chest. I doubt that would be a problem.

I also assume that like all other medical devices they are tested very thoroughly.

I think you have that backwards in that the cell phone held too close to the pacemaker cant actually interfere with the functionality of the pacemaker.

FYI don't let your MIL operate a gas powered chain saw either...same principle.

I think you have that backwards in that the cell phone held too close to the pacemaker cant actually interfere with the functionality of the pacemaker.

FYI don't let your MIL operate a gas powered chain saw either...same principle.

This. I have a dual Pacemaker/defibrillator. Was advised not to use the phone in my left hand or keep it in a breast-style pocket in case it rings. It can inadvertently turn it off or trigger the defibrillator.

If the pacemaker was interfering with the cell phone, it should work fine if it's not near her, although as ivinsfan said, I think it used to be the other way around years ago. Can you take it out her front door (with her inside) and try it there?

Does she use apps, or have a lot of contacts? I might try factory resetting it, as trying to find a setting that she might have tinkered with is probably not feasible, it would probably be easier to find a way to back up and restore her data and do a reset.

Either way, consider a Jitterbug or similar phone, or try out the Android or Apple parental controls, you can probably lock her out of all settings and prevent her from (accidentally?) installing apps, and that could eliminate most if not all user error.

Last edited:
I have had a pacemaker for 15 years; no cell phone issues at all. But I do not have cheap phones either.

Thanks everyone for the replies. After further review, I’m convinced the problem is 98% user error. No apps and no contacts on the flip phone. Trying to keep it as simple as possible.

The “Communication error” and MMS related issues are very infrequent and unexplained by her provider Consumer Cellular. These issues were present in her last phone and the new phone. I suspect that these issues are provider related and not related to the pacemaker. We’ll continue to monitor it, but most of MIL’s calls to DW are user related volume and missed call confusion.

More seriously, things like this are hard to troubleshoot w/o direct observation. Like others, I highly doubt any interference from the pacemaker is affecting the phone - that makes no sense (the other way around is possible, the phone affecting the pacemaker). Pacemakers put out very small currents, just enough to trigger a muscle that it has direct contact to.

Occam's razor points to user error. If she can't figure out speed dial (and some phones really don't make it so easy!), she's likely having user issues.

A couple examples, one day I notice my DM 'massaging' the on/off button of her phone, and poking at at it repeatedly. I ask what's up - she says it's so hard to turn it on/off, she says she has to press it a certain way. So I watch what she's doing and I notice and say "Mom, it's got a delay so it doesn't accidentally turn on/off. Just press and HOLD it for a second or two. BAM! Problem solved.

But if you don't observe it, it would be hard to put together. If your DW is there, but you can't be, maybe have DW video call you so you can see what she's doing?

My MIL said she couldn't make outgoing calls. My nephew grabs the phone from her, shows her it works, and she says, "Oh, OK". But I am insistent - I say you didn't prove that it works for your Grandma when she does it. Well, MIL thinks I'm insulting her, but I calmly point out that there are several different ways to initiate the call, maybe they way he did it works, but the way you try doesn't work - I want to see you do it.

So she does it, and don't you know, she presses the 'hang up' key, rather then the 'send' key. I think they (stupidly) switched these left-right-right-left from her previous phone.

You have to observe this stuff.

Good luck - ERD50

Back
Top Bottom