Best Flash Drive or Alternatives?

bright eyed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi,
I've been using a 4gb flash drive (s*ny micr*vault) for the past 6 months or so.

It was great because I move between my desktop and laptop and travel a lot so I can just plug in and work wherever I am.

However, it was not that sturdy, got bent and tweaked and now just died...:rant:

The stick design is sensible since it has to slide in between all those other usb devices, but also part of the problem on a laptop where it got bent if it was set down incorrectly. And the plastic casing was just weak anyway.

I did back it up a couple of weeks ago, but still have a minor gap in my files which does slow me down.

What should I do? Get a new one - any brand/style rec's or are they all the same?

Or is there a better way to keep track of my files?

:duh:

Why not just insert the flash drive for a moment at the beginning or end of your laptop session, to download or upload the necessary files? If you don't leave it inserted in the laptop for the whole session, it won't get bent while in use.

Normally I keep my flashdrive in the change purse portion of my wallet. I have had it for several years, and haven't had any problems despite dropping on the floor of the lunchroom at work several times while fishing for change. I am the opposite of "careful" with it. Frank keeps his on his keyring.

Edited to add: Yeah, and get the one CFB recommended. That looks really rugged! :)

You could also get a short USB ext cable like this:

Startech Fully Rated USB 2.0 Extension Cable - 1 x Type A USB - 1 x Type A USB - 6'' - Gray - USBEXTAA6IN - Buy.com
202191824.jpg

You can get longer ones, but a 6" one would be easy to carry and would serve the purpose to lessen the strain on the port and/or the drive.

NOTE: Technically, USB extension cables do not meet USB spec. They purposely avoided them because it allows you to make a loop on yourself (like a regular pile of ext power cords, where you end up with one plugged into itself and no power at the end). But that is seldom a problem in real life, esp with a 6" cord, so no worries.

-ERD50

The Corsair 8 GB one I purchased through Amazon about a month ago came with a 18" USB Cable and had an encryption program on the drive. The drive is USA 2.0 and fast enough to be used with Vista's Ready Boost. They are rubber enclosed and rugged. This is a part of the same site CFB posted above: http://www.corsair.com/products/flash.aspx

I've been using SanDisk "Cruzer Micro" 4GB USB flash drives for about a year or so, and they work out really nice.....and they're tough enough to put up with my constant neglect. They also have 2GB, 8GB, and 16GB units.

(BTW, the USB connector slides in and out to protect it when not in the use.)

Attachments

• SanDisk Cruzer Micro 4GB USB Flash Drive.gif
    SanDisk Cruzer Micro 4GB USB Flash Drive.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 125
A heartfelt thanks!

I'll make sure to consult y'all next time I spend more than $25 on any electronic device! The original device was 50% (maybe more) at tarjay so I just picked it up without looking into it (which I hardly ever do!).

Anyhoo - picked up the 16 GB Survivor! hee hee I saw some sites where they boiled it, froze it, and ran it over a car so it should survive little ol' me and my trips up north to the chilly bay area!

And should hold everything I need..and more! Will let you know if it gives me any trouble.

Also, in case anyone's curious amazon is having a huge sale on these plus a $25 rebate so it will be about $50 all said and done.

Oh so you're a big spender? I didnt know!

So...you lookin' for a boyfriend to buy stuff for? :)

Oh so you're a big spender? I didnt know!

So...you lookin' for a boyfriend to buy stuff for? :)

Yes, as long as you're willing to cook one of your fancy brunches (w/ lots of bacon of course)...that's worth a $50 flash drive! :D

I've been using SanDisk "Cruzer Micro" 4GB USB flash drives for about a year or so, and they work out really nice.....and they're tough enough to put up with my constant neglect. They also have 2GB, 8GB, and 16GB units.
(BTW, the USB connector slides in and out to protect it when not in the use.)
The 8 GB version is $29.99 at Costco this week.

Or so I just happened to notice while I was walking by the display...

Back
Top Bottom