Best guitar solos

One of my favorite Santana songs, with some excellent guitar work by Carlos and a 15yo Neil Schon, later of Journey, for which I'll forgive him... :LOL:

Santana ~ Jungle Strut - YouTube

Ahhhhh, nice. Santana is among my favs.

A fairly talented cover band played at our community fireworks show on the 3rd. They played a few songs by Journey, so I'm not as forgiving as you are right now :cool:

Years ago, DS gave me a Santana CD for Christmas. It had some weird cover art, and some reference to 're-mix 2000' :confused: I was very wary, but when I played it, it had some interesting stuff. Some cuts from before Santana was a full band. It was pretty cool to hear some of the songs take shape. But the 'remix' versions were as bad as you might imagine.

Ahh, here it is:

Amazon.com: Tropical Spirits 1-2: Music

I'm a (limited) keyboard player, so Gregg Rollie's playing always just knocked me out. I'm still looking for those notes on my keyboard :facepalm: He played stuff that would just sound 'wrong' if I played it - I was often amazed at the approach he would take to some of the solos, just very different from a standard rock/blues or even jazz approach.

I understand that after Santana, he went back to the restaurant business with his dad. Hard to fathom. Ooops, this is a guitar thread!

I've gotten distracted, but there were some references to the 'inspirations' for some of the modern guitar players and I really meant to look for some great Buddy Guy clips. He is often named as the player that everyone learned from. I saw him a few years back at his club, and he just blew the place down. Crazy, crazy, crazy wild playing and incredible insane bends, and then he'd take it down so soft and smooth, turning it on a dime. Man that guy can bend a string and make you feel it! Those look like really heavy strings, too. Got tickets for him at Ravinia this year, that will be different from having him walk through the crowd during a solo at Legends, but I bet it'll still be great.

-ERD50

Ahhhhh, nice. Santana is among my favs.

A fairly talented cover band played at our community fireworks show on the 3rd. They played a few songs by Journey, so I'm not as forgiving as you are right now :cool:

I'm a (limited) keyboard player, so Gregg Rollie's playing always just knocked me out. I'm still looking for those notes on my keyboard :facepalm: He played stuff that would just sound 'wrong' if I played it - I was often amazed at the approach he would take to some of the solos, just very different from a standard rock/blues or even jazz approach.

I understand that after Santana, he went back to the restaurant business with his dad. Hard to fathom. Ooops, this is a guitar thread!

-ERD50

Gregg Rolie was also in Journey...

+1 on Buddy Guy

Gregg Rolie was also in Journey...

+1 on Buddy Guy

Yeah, Rolie was a founding member of both Santana and Journey (their lead vocalist before he quit and Steve Perry took over and they began to have all those massive hits). I loved his voice and keyboard-playing. I heard he hated the road, and that's why he quit. But I see he'll be on tour as part of Ringo's All-Starr Band later this year.

Yeah, Rolie was a founding member of both Santana and Journey (their lead vocalist before he quit and Steve Perry took over and they began to have all those massive hits). I loved his voice and keyboard-playing. I heard he hated the road, and that's why he quit. But I see he'll be on tour as part of Ringo's All-Starr Band later this year.

Though he shared lead with Perry on some tunes, for instance "Feelin' That Way/Anytime".

Always dug Hammond B-3 players, among them Booker T, Rolie, Greg Allman, Richard Wright, Goldy McJohn...

Glad I never had to lug one around though.

Je$u$ Chr!st---went through all five pages of this thread, and Johnny Winter and Joe Bonamassa don't even get mentioned--Pht-t-t-t-t-t-t-

Payin-the-Toll said:
Je$u$ Chr!st---went through all five pages of this thread, and Johnny Winter and Joe Bonamassa don't even get mentioned--Pht-t-t-t-t-t-t-

Saw Joe Bonamassa last year. Amazing talent. He has a cult following. Sat next to a couple that flew into Florida from Italy to see him that have seen him dozens of times.

B.B. King, Sonny Landreth and many others. I just saw Frampton's guitar circus in concert. Sonny Landreth and B.B. King were the warm up bands. Frampton played with B.B. Guest guitarist with Frampton included Rick Nielson (Cheap Trick) and Larry Carlton. The three of them played "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" for the encore. Great Concert!!!

Did I miss it or did nobody mention Carlos Santana?

Back
Top Bottom