Best guitar solos

Here's the 50 Greatest Guitar Solos according to GuitarWorld, arguably one of several expert sources
Interesting list, brings back some fond memories. The source also adds "Rock and Roll" to the title, as noted by the absence of Flamenco, Jazz and Classical guitar references. Not a criticism, just a clarification. :)

I would have [-]expected[/-] hoped to see Alvin Lee and Iron Butterfly, and the other version of "Little Wing" (Stevie Ray) alongside the original.

Interesting list, brings back some fond memories. The source also adds "Rock and Roll" to the title, as noted by the absence of Flamenco, Jazz and Classical guitar references. Not a criticism, just a clarification. :)

I would have [-]expected[/-] hoped to see Alvin Lee and Iron Butterfly, and the other version of "Little Wing" (Stevie Ray) alongside the original.

The very young Erik Brann of Iron Butterfly certainly had a unique sound. And Steely Dan had many nice, melodic guitar solos in their records by various players--including Skunk Baxter (who gets no respect in that Top 50 list), with perhaps his best-known solo being "Rikki Don't Lose That Number."
RIKKI DON'T LOSE THAT NUMBER (1974) by Steely Dan - YouTube

Iron Butterfly - Ball [Full Album] - YouTube

I could argue with many on that list. I'd pick several Satriani songs over SWTA, for example.

There was a pretty good version of Little Wing on Derek and the Dominoes' "Layla and Assorted Love Songs".

Here's the 50 Greatest Guitar Solos according to GuitarWorld, arguably one of several expert sources

The source also adds "Rock and Roll" to the title, as noted by the absence of Flamenco, Jazz and Classical guitar references. Not a criticism, just a clarification. :)

Interesting, but not surprising I guess, that the experts writing for GuitarWorld think great rock and roll guitar solos were invented in 1967.

Wait a minute...didn't Johnny B. Goode came out a few years before 1997...? ;)

Another old one for the list (1955):
bo diddley - YouTube

Not flashy or virtuoso, yet always a favorite of mine:

Pretty much anything By Tommy Emmanuel
Tommy Emmanuel - Guitar Boogie - YouTube

I saw Tommy a couple of years ago in a nice intimate setting, probably less than 100 people, if that. The guy has some serious chops and seemed like a really decent person. Hung around after the show to talk to the crowd and sign autographs. If you ever get a chance to see him, well worth the ticket price.

Last edited:
Since Mark Knopfler's been mentioned a bunch, here's the guy he got most of his licks from:

Richard Thompson - 1952 Vincent Black Lightning - YouTube

One of the best acoustic guitarists (and singer songwriters) on the planet, and as an electric guitarist he's far superior to Page, Clapton or Beck (all of whom I love, but RT is in his own league).

Was never a motorcycle fan, (figure I'd've killed myself early), but those old Vincents were 'evil' machines.

Carlos Santana - Samba Pa Ti - Abraxas (1970)
I prefer the album version. It's on youtube along with many solo versions.

When you distill all those influences down, and have the opportunity to create music with like minded musicians, and get 'your' moment to really go for it, and it all comes together, and you know you just made magic...

Priceless

Nice avatar, Jonny M.

Still waiting for HL3...

No sh*t, that is sad. Half Life 2 is one of the greatest games of all time.

I have enough aesthetic sensibility to appreciate Knopfler, but my bottom line is simple rock guitar, free from the pretentions of the 70s/80s.

So, in the interests of voluntary simplicity... Pick it up at 1:25.

watch

Last edited:
IN the interests of voluntary simplicity... Pick it up at 1:25.

I have enough aesthetic sensibility to appreciate Knopfler, but my bottom line is simple rock guitar, free from the pretentions of the 70s.

Certainly plenty of pretentious wanking took place in the 70s, but IMHO Knopfler's playing is pretty understated, and not, as Frank Zappa once called it, a lot of "pentatonic gnat notes"...

To be clear, I'm a Big fan of Knopfler and Dire Straits. I don't consider him pretentious. And despite my using the derisive word "Pretetious," I really enjoy the grandiose stuff (e.g., Steve Howe of Yes, see Revealing Science of God, for instance) but also the reaction to that excess, which is the stripped-down, minimalistic, straightforward tunes, such as the above...

He was in a jam
Then a giant clam

Last edited:
Carlos Santana - Samba Pa Ti - Abraxas (1970)
I prefer the album version. It's on youtube along with many solo versions.

Thank you! I have loved Carlos's guitar-playing since Day 1 (circa 1970). His solos are so melodic and his rhythm strumming gorgeous.

I can't choose my favorite Carlos guitar solo. There are too many. Including Soul Sacrifice at Woodstock. Santana - Soul Sacrifice 1969 "Woodstock" Live Video Sound HQ - YouTube

Loved all the Santana albums up to Borboletta. Santana - Borboletta - YouTube
Including the previous Welcome record.
Santana - Welcome - YouTube

Anyone else remember sitting around together with pals, listening to Santana's first LP, enjoying that fresh sound, while closely checking out the album cover to find what we thought were hidden images--starting with the heads and faces above the lion's head, and the legs below, to peering more closely to see what else had been drawn "between the lines"? (Some may have been "under the influence" of whatever, at the time.)

We sat around with our guitars trying to figure out how to play it. My little group of friends started in 1964. Making music is a lifelong pursuit. In ER I have all the time I need, and nearly enough gear...

Back
Top Bottom