Best "value" in a luxury car

I have a Lincoln MKX, it's the best car I have ever owned. It's very comfortable on long road trips, the THX stereo is excellent, reasonable gas mileage (about 26mpg), and completely dependable. The only things I have done in 116,000 miles is change oil every 5,000 miles and flush the automatic trans at 70,000 miles.

The nearest import dealer is about 80 miles away with only Ford and GM dealers in town.

...I am over luxury cars, but I don't begrudge anyone, I had to have the experiences to get over it.

Emphasis added

Boy did that hit home. As one who did IMO something stupid upon retirement (bought yet another luxury car), I should have asked myself that very question: "have I had enough luxury car ownership experiences to get over it?" Had I done so, I might have a very smart looking, well-engineered, extremely economical Honda Civic at about half the price sitting the garage that gets driven at most once weekly instead of what I've got now.

I've personally always thought all luxury cars except Mercedes were ugly. And now, even though I consider MBZ cars to have beautiful lines, they all look like old man cars to me. I tell my boomer friends that C-class MBZ's are to Millennials what Lincolns were to boomers growing up--something their grandfathers drove.

I believe "have I had enough of ownership experiences of this thing to be over it" of any intended superfluous purchase is a very good question to ask. People change. Values too.

I suggest certified pre owned. As someone else posted, luxury cars depreciate fast and lots of people lease them. You can get a 1-3 year old car with very low miles (<15k if you look) for 25-50% less than new. Great warranties too.

I had a BMW once. Once. Loved driving it but it was a reliability nightmare. Will never have one past warranty again. A friend has a 2011 X5 and she's having the same experience.

I have a 2013 Acura TL that I got a great deal on, but I'm a bit disappointed. Really don't like the computer interface and it never knows what gear it wants to be in for city driving. Nice car that I will keep for years, but not as good as I hoped.

Check out the Mercedes C Class lineup. Prices are reasonable, reasonably fuel efficient and fun to drive. We have a 2012 model and have not regretted it. Maintenance costs have not been bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
+1

I've been driving Mercedes for most of my life. From "S", "E", "CLS" and so on.

Just got a 2015 "C". Wow! Likely the best car I've ever had. (except for maybe the 2003 E5)

Last week I was in a parking lot and a guy came up to me and said: "Mister, that is one bad-ass car you've got!".

I have a 2012 Toyota Rav4 which I love. Big enough to carry big things and 4 grandkids. The leather seats are comfortable and are heated. The seats heat faster than the heater. Good gas milage and easy to get in and out of. Previously I had Camry but it ot to be too hard to get out of. Never any mechanical problemes.....

Darn it if that hasn't become an issue for me. :mad:

Ron

My lux suv is the GMC Denali. Smoother ride than the Ford 150 and better gas mileage to boot. Preferred by me over the Caddy my wife used to have. She liked the Toyota Avalon much better

I suggest certified pre owned. As someone else posted, luxury cars depreciate fast and lots of people lease them. You can get a 1-3 year old car with very low miles (<15k if you look) for 25-50% less than new. Great warranties too.

Its rare that I quote myself, but ironic that we're about to buy another CPO luxury car today.

Provided the dealer isn't a schmuck, we're going to buy a 2014 Lincoln MKT.

We'll pay 30% below original MSRP for a car that was part of a corporate fleet for 9 months and has 9950 miles on it. Will actually have more warranty than if purchased new due to the CPO 6yr/100k powertrain.

I was originally looking for a 2013 with 25-30K miles but DW has gotten extremely specific about the options she wants...so in the interest of marital bliss we'll be spending a bit more than I originally planned! We've been shopping for 6 weeks and discovered that these cars move VERY quickly when they hit the lot. In a 100 miles search radius there are only 12 CPO MKTs in inventory but 10 aren't the right configuration. 2 of them with the options she wants hit inventory yesterday...1 of which was sold by mid-afternoon.

My Lincoln was purchased as a "program" car. It was originally used by Ford Motor Credit and had 6,000 miles on it when I got it. That saved me over $7,000.

My Lincoln was purchased as a "program" car. It was originally used by Ford Motor Credit and had 6,000 miles on it when I got it. That saved me over $7,000.
These are mostly management lease cars. The company leases them to members of Ford management at a discount and then resells them yearly. If a particular model is selling poorly, they offer that model at a larger discount to move inventory. A few of them are just pool vehicles, driven from building to building. Not so desirable.

+1

I've been driving Mercedes for most of my life. From "S", "E", "CLS" and so on.

Just got a 2015 "C". Wow! Likely the best car I've ever had. (except for maybe the 2003 E5)

Last week I was in a parking lot and a guy came up to me and said: "Mister, that is one bad-ass car you've got!".

This, there are so many "unfriendly" people in the world we have no desire to draw attention to ourselves. We drove Fords for 40 years until we purchased a new Nissan Altima with all the bells and whistles, three years ago. It's probably the favorite of any car we have ever had and the mileage is fantastic. It would be a fantastic car for a longish commute.

An S65, massaged by RENNtech is the best I've found to-date.

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2769-1.jpg
    IMG_2769-1.jpg
    896.6 KB · Views: 18
The current April issue of Consumer Reports is out and it is their auto issue. Lots of good data there.

People really don't mention Infiniti very much, but I am a huge fan of my G37. It's entry level luxury (think BMW 3 series) with Japanese quality. We've had it since new and now at 85K I can say it rides just as nice as when we bought it. Also, if you compare it's reliability against the same year Accord on True Delta (actual updated information on current owners and ancillary repair information) and Edmunds, it fairs better. And...it is a LOT OF FUN to drive!

Truth be told, if my current one was crushed by a tree today, I would have a 2014 model with 30,000 or less miles on it in the garage tomorrow.

My wife has a 2012 Highlander. Not luxurious at all IMHO, actually...I give it a resounding: Meh.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

People really don't mention Infiniti very much, but I am a huge fan of my G37. It's entry level luxury (think BMW 3 series) with Japanese quality. We've had it since new and now at 85K I can say it rides just as nice as when we bought it. Also, if you compare it's reliability against the same year Accord on True Delta (actual updated information on current owners and ancillary repair information) and Edmunds, it fairs better. And...it is a LOT OF FUN to drive!

Truth be told, if my current one was crushed by a tree today, I would have a 2014 model with 30,000 or less miles on it in the garage tomorrow.

I drive an 07 G35S six speed MT. 97,000 miles, one issue with the AC compressor that seems to be common with the model. That was in 2015, so 8 years of no issues at all. DIY oil and brakes and it is pretty cheap to own, but very nice. Came down to that and the Acura TL but ability to find the manual won out.

I also shopped 3-series BMWs, but they were smaller yet more expensive and I didn't think markedly nicer.

IMO, Acura and Infiniti represent a nice balance between luxury, performance, and financial responsibility.

Here are my entries: 96 SLS Cadillac, 98 Signature Town Car

img_1701956_0_7923b44c1b1c542e6e599dff8083f781.jpg
img_1701956_1_90b4b065d172d2cb66d4bebcaf1c769c.jpg

Cadillac 80K miles bought 2004 $5K
Lincoln 110K miles bought 2000 $18K

Figured total cost per year, including depreciation and repairs... avg. $1306 per car. Combined age of cars 38 years.

Both cars still look and drive like new.

Last edited:
I think the OP is looking for something from this century. :D

That said, both fine cars and they both are looking good.

Going on 2 years now, 27,000 miles, I love my Audi Q5. Everyone's taste in cars, and what defines luxury is different. But at least this car is a chick magnet (yes, I'm 63 and married). A little background is needed:
Back in 1996 I got a really snazzy looking Mustang, and joked I finally had my chick magnet car. Alas, it only drew the attention of....other guys. I ultimately replace it with another snazzy looking set of wheels, Infiniti G35 coupe. That, too, only attracted other guys.
I had the Audi all of 2 weeks, when in a nearby parking lot a chick was absolutely swooning over the car. If my wife wasn't with me, I know I could have gotten lucky with that 80 year old. :)

I drive an 07 G35S six speed MT. 97,000 miles, one issue with the AC compressor that seems to be common with the model. That was in 2015, so 8 years of no issues at all. DIY oil and brakes and it is pretty cheap to own, but very nice. Came down to that and the Acura TL but ability to find the manual won out.

I also shopped 3-series BMWs, but they were smaller yet more expensive and I didn't think markedly nicer.

IMO, Acura and Infiniti represent a nice balance between luxury, performance, and financial responsibility.
The 'cheap to own' surprised me initially. I thought that was a lie, but in fact is true. Even more amazing was that tires were cheaper to replace than they would have been on the V6 Accord. It's been a very cheap car to own and I'm quite happy with it, like you.

Having the convertible version would be nice, but I can't justify the big premium on cost...even for one a few years old.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

We did that with our last two Cadillacs. Felt good about the deals and the vehicles.

An S65, massaged by RENNtech is the best I've found to-date.

Now thats a name I haven't heard mentioned in a while, but I'd call it more of a mid-life crisis car (eg rocket sled).

Now thats a name I haven't heard mentioned in a while, but I'd call it more of a mid-life crisis car (eg rocket sled).

Haha! No that's the other one in the stable :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 21
I was looking for something "luxury"-ish...but then I remembered I have boats I have to pull around. So I bought a '15 Highlander. It feels luxurious to me! Maybe that's because it's replacing a 15 year old pick-up truck.
I like the ride, and the seat is comfy for me, something that has become a major issue as I age, along with the ease of getting in and out.

No experience with new luxury cars. Owned several Mercedes 220D 62, 450SEL 74, had the 74 for 22 years.
On my second Jaguar first was 88 XJ6, current is 95 XJ6.

The only car to ever put a grin on my face avery time I get in it is the current 95XJ6.

My other luxury car is a 99 GMC Suburban SLT, loaded, with 7.4 liter engine and a highly modified ECU. It is like like driving the living room armchair on steroids. Massive, fast, and given its 50/50 front to rear weight ratio handles great, with some very expensive tires on it. I'll keep it until it or I can't be repaired anymore.

A man has got to have his toys.

Have not settled on a replecement for the Jag when it dies, but it will likely be another Jaguar. Either a 97 XJR, or a later model but not new XKR.

BTW DW loves her 2014 Caddy CTS, she is 5'2" fits her perfect. I don't like it at all. Ergonomics of it sucks, and I am not tall, 5' 8". To me it is like driving a video game with all the chrome plated plastic geegaws.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom