Best way to store table leaves?

tinlizzy

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm on vacation this week and I'm cleaning the carpets.

It's so nice having extra space in the dining room that I've decided to remove the leaves from the table before I put it back.

How do I store them so they won't warp or is it not a concern?

We slide them under a bed in a carpeted room. Flat so no warp, carpet minimize scratching, under the bed, so no one is likely to bang or drop them.
Nwsteve

Thanks nwsteve - that sounds good to me. I was thinking the attic or the basement but one is hot and the other is humid. Under the bed is perfect.

Ours are in the coat closet along with the set of table pads. The dining room table is a drop leaf with 2 extra leaves. The extra leaves get tucked away, the drop leaves dropped and the table pushed to the side of the room, leaving a lot of space.

We slide them under a bed in a carpeted room. Flat so no warp, carpet minimize scratching, under the bed, so no one is likely to bang or drop them.
Nwsteve

+1

Sue - I really like the look of the extra space! Now that I have an empty nest I'm not as interested in a traditional looking living or dining room. I wouldn't even mind a contemporary looking L shaped sectional and a large coffee table for dining.

Another question - the gear on the mechanism that moves the table apart could use something. Would just a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil be okay?

Stand vertically or lay horizontally, don't let anyone stack stuff on them. No excess humity, excess heat etc. On the hardware, I'm assuming where the leaves detach a SMALL amout of 3-1 should be ok.

MRG

...Would just a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil be okay?

3 in 1 oil has a nasty, permeating odor, IMO. I would not use it anywhere around where I'm going to eat.

I'd use a little wipe of furniture lemon oil, or plain mineral oil. Should be all it needs. Or maybe swipe it with an old candle to deposit some wax on it?

-ERD50

It has 2 round gears with teeth in the middle and they grab a bar with teeth attached to each end. The 3 in 1 is at work so I'll try the mineral oil - I know I have some, somewhere.

We have four for our 100+ year old oak table. They slide into a simple wooden case, which we have kept upright in a closet near the table for the past 35 years. I imagine they are past the point of warping, but maybe not.

With our old table I put up a couple brackets a bit higher than head level along the wall of in a walk-in closet/pantry that we have and I stored them horizontally on edge and the leaned slightly against the wall of the closet.

In our new table there is a gap between the top of the pedestal and the bottom of the table surface that we slide them into. Neat.

Exception to the floor, under a bed thing...if you're on a slab, I'd not do that. Too much moisture!

I second, third and fourth the under the bed on a carpeted floor not on a slab idea. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom