Bikers... why CHiPs style?

tuixiu

Full time employment: Posting here.
I've got no problem with people riding bikes, and it's generally no issues with traffic as they're pretty generous with bike lines around here.

One thing I don't get, why do some like to ride side-by-side? I know they have a right to the road but when it's just one bike wide traffic can safely flow by them, when it's two you can't get by them without changing lanes.

Are they chatting or is it some statement of their equal right to the road?

Any bikers on the forum can offer insight?

Cyclists ride two-across for social reasons - much easier to hold a conversation. The vast majority do it out of ignorance of the danger. Fortunately the vast majority of cars accomodate these people, and wait to pass until they can do so safely.

I do most of my cycling alone. When I do ride with someone, we ride in file unless on a bike trail, a road so wide that the shoulder accomodates 2, or a road so empty there are no problems.

Right, it really bugs me when I see cyclists doing it when there isn't room. Besides being dangerous, it ticks off drivers so they are going to be mad at the next cyclist they see.

But, yes, it's a lot of fun. Something about chatting while on your two stable platforms while the scenery flows by. DW and I do it every chance we get, but only in the situations that CyclingInvestor mentioned. I have to admit that occasionally we're side-by-side on a deserted road, and don't notice a car coming up behind us. So sometimes we're guilty.

Yes, it's a lot of fun to do.

But it really bugs me when I see cyclists doing it when there isn't room. Besides being dangerous, it ticks off drivers so they are going to be mad at the next cyclist they see.

Cycle Oregon pedaled into Monmouth this weekend - supposedly thousands of bikes. Had direction signs and intersection flaggers to keep them all on track. I had the misfortune to need to go to Dallas, against the flow of bikes, and I now have a serious antipathy towards yellow lycra and aerodynamic helmets. Six miles of clots of three and four abreast, single fat !@#!! riding a foot from the center line, cars backed up behind the bicycles doing 20mph. About had a headon with a car that just couldn't take it and passed - only to find the his lane ahead filled with scattered bikes. Have a separated bike path on hwy. 99, but no, run them down the scenic and less fumy country road. Snarl. Do 55 or don't impede the flow of traffic. Or close the road. Almost enough to make me want to use the horn, which I avoid because I don't want to scare a biker and have them swerve or fall down in front of me.

Back
Top Bottom