bought a new toy....and the wife already wants to kill me

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I ended up buying an xbox 360 to play mainly sports games and multiplayer online games. I cant believe how fun/easy it is to play someone across the country and speak to them while you play....very cool!

but she doesnt think so. shes already making me sleep on the couch after 3 hrs of playing...on my FIRST night. "I see where this is going" she said. then i had a few choice words for her which led to the couch. the wiii thread on this forum was part to blame. the current football season coupled with upcoming basketball is as well...

i havent played a video game in 5 yrs....but im picking up quick and had a blast playing boxing, football, and call of duty 3 (WwII battle game) so far.

glad i got it !!!! she'll learn to love it. she isnt buying the 'hand eye coordination tool' line i gave her about our 3 yr old son....although he logged a few minutes of pacman today

she isnt buying the 'hand eye coordination tool' line i gave her about our 3 yr old son....although he logged a few minutes of pacman today

It's true though. Somebody did a study that showed that the best young surgeons are good gamers. Tell her your kid will likely become some robotically enhanced surgeon making $500,000 a year and that he will buy her a fancy new house.

Ha

Video games are fun, even for some of us grown-ups and even for some women such as me.

My suggestions? Don't give up your video games. Just make a point of being especially attentive and devote more time to her than to the game. Take her out to eat more than usual, talk to her while looking in her eyes, be romantic, and so on. Do some of the "honey-do's" that she needs help with. Help her with the dishes without being asked, and so on.

My guess is that she probably doesn't mind so much that you are playing video games, as that she feels the time for that is going to be subtracted from time doing all of the things I listed. She is probably worried that you are going to block her and everything else from your mind while you play video games.

Does your wife like music? Rock Band II is a very fun game which you can both play.
I have had a lot of friends that are not much into video games go nuts over Rock Band.

Sounds like the old ball and chain is giving you a rough time. Maybe talk with her about what she would consider an appropriate amount of time for you to play your xbox. I can't recall if your wife works outside the house or not. In my experience, a stay at home wife will view all of your time away from work as time that you should spend with her and the family. You may only have, say, 40 hours per week for relaxation and recreation time after work and on the weekends, whereas she will have much more free time (or at least time where she can relax during the day while you are at work). That 40 hours of your free time needs to be allocated between your personal interests (reading a book, watching fball, playing the 360, etc) and spending time with your wife and kid(s). However she may view all 40 hours of your free time as time that you should spend with her.

She may not realize that even though only a portion of her free time is being spent with you, that all of your free time is being spent with her, and you are left with no free time to pursue personal interests.

I ended up buying an xbox 360 to play mainly sports games and multiplayer online games. I cant believe how fun/easy it is to play someone across the country and speak to them while you play....very cool!
Sounds like fun.

but she doesnt think so. shes already making me sleep on the couch after 3 hrs of playing...on my FIRST night. "I see where this is going" she said. then i had a few choice words for her which led to the couch. the wiii thread on this forum was part to blame. the current football season coupled with upcoming basketball is as well.
If your wife feels that you're not paying enough attention to her, you both have a problem that needs to be addressed.

I don't know what the solution is, but it's unlikely that you'll find it by employing "a few choice words". Tread carefully. Want2retire has given you some good advice.

glad i got it !!!! she'll learn to love it.
Well, perhaps. Or maybe she won't.

It would be imprudent to assume that she will eventually admit the error of her original opinion and that everything will work out without any effort or compromise on your part.

she isnt buying the 'hand eye coordination tool' line i gave her about our 3 yr old son....although he logged a few minutes of pacman today
If I were you, I wouldn't be encouraging my son to play with the xbox. Your wife has already made her position known re your playing, and you should focus on that issue. Involving your son at this point will likely just add fuel to the fire.

If any of you Wii people have Mario Kart and you see a spiny turtle named McLovin', that would be my DH. He has numerous degrees, is a great dad and husband, but if he falls below 8000 points he is NOT fit to live with. Do me a huge favor and do not pass him or shot a blue shell at him when he is in first place. Really. Don't.

Back
Top Bottom