Buying a car from out of state

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When DH and I started having car issues several weeks ago, I started searching for options I liked online. For the first time, I found a car that is the make/model I’d like, and is a certified pre-owned vehicle with a warranty. The price is not a deal, but is comparable to other options which either have higher mileage, are a different color, etc.

The issue is that the car is in FL. I’d have to buy it sight unseen and have it shipped to CA. Then it would have to pass CA emission inspection here before I could register it.

Has anyone else done this? If so, did it work out well? Any specific recommendation on a transportation service?

I did this years ago, for a car that was exactly what I wanted. It turned out great for me. However, I was lucky- it's not without risks. I probably would have a local independent mechanic check it over first, assuming you can find someone to do that. Are you sure it hasn't been in an accident? Flooded? Rust? These things might not show up on Carfax. Even though it's "certified pre-owned" with a warranty, you could still end up with lots of hassles.

If it has less than 7500 miles you have a problem registering it here!

Does this depend on the state? My car died in Des Moines where I was visiting DS and family. I bought a replacement up there and drive it home to MO. No issues at all registering it at home although I did, of course, get nailed with MO sales tax.:(

just wondering...who will be honoring the warranty where you live?
When the car is certified pre-owned I think it means the car company and their dealerships handle the warranty service is that not true?

If I was a California resident that has extra stringent emissions testing regulations, I would not go outside of the state to import a vehicle from a state that doesn't have such stringent regulations. New York might be another state that's tight on emissions.

I had to deal with California once on a title issue, and they were trying to charge me 9.25% sales taxes even though I never stepped foot in the state. I had to get the State Board of Apportions to order the DMV to issue the title. It was all in the law--which is on the internet.

Dealing with that state is just not worth the hassle over any issue. Try to find a CA spec. vehicle and have it emissions tested prior to the funds exchanging hands.

Last edited:
When the car is certified pre-owned I think it means the car company and their dealerships handle the warranty service is that not true?

That is how Certified pre-owned originated but now I the term is sometimes used more broadly so It’s important to understand the exact terms of the program. It could simply be a 3rd party extended warranty.

The warranty would be serviced by our local dealer. Both Auto Check and CarFax reports are very clean. The car only has 12K miles on it and has always been registered in FL.

If I were in a position to fly there myself and have the car checked out, I think I’d do it because the low mileage, interior and exterior colors, and options are exactly what I’m looking for. However, with my recent shoulder surgery, I can’t do this. The dealership selling the car requires me to contract with a third party shipping company. If the car were to arrive damaged, it would likely be a huge hassle to get either the dealer or the shipping company to take responsibility. That, plus the unknown extra cost to make it comply with CA emissions standards, put this idea in the “too hard” box for me.

Thanks for your input!

We did that a long time ago with a new Acura. Fortunately Honda/Acura apply the same emission standards to all their vehicles in North America. We had to take the vehicle to a referee smog station where it passed. The rules may have changed since then. Smog tests for cars built after 2000 are much less stringent today that before. We had to take both our cars for smog tests this year and in both cases they didn't even monitor the exhaust emissions. All they do now is visual inspections for leaks, check the gas cap, and monitor the car's OBD for fault codes. The test technician stated that the rules have changed for cars manufactured after 2000. I would check with the DMV for the registration process for out of state cars.

Check on shipping. It might take you 6 months+ to get a shipper lined up and it will be expensive.

I do not think I'd do this right now with car prices, shipping and California emissions all in the mix.

Does this depend on the state? My car died in Des Moines where I was visiting DS and family. I bought a replacement up there and drive it home to MO. No issues at all registering it at home although I did, of course, get nailed with MO sales tax.:(

Yes, it depends on the state. The 7500 mile thing is a specific requirement to prevent CA residents from trying to bypass the state emission standards by purchasing their new cars elsewhere. It doesn't apply if the car was originally built to meet CA standards.

I didn't have the car shipped, but I drove down to the Illinois border once to buy a pickup new from a dealership and drove it back. Had my dad ride with, let him drive the truck the first leg and he picked up a speeding ticket about 30 minutes after we purchased the truck together. Solved the infamous "who will get the first ticket" question right away.

That was a great deal and worth driving down there. We waited about 4hrs while they tried to sell us all sorts of odd ball stuff. Knowing we had driven so far and were kinda "stuck" gave them a chance to hone seemingly ever salesman's skills while we waited.

Back
Top Bottom