Buying an IPad..........

Has anyone bought a stylus? A niece in the UK has one and loves it, but she is the only one I know that uses one.

I bought a stylus a year ago when I first bought my iPad. Initially I thought I would need it to tap on small links. With practice, the precision of my finger movements has improved and now I hardly ever use the stylus.

I bought a stylus a year ago when I first bought my iPad. Initially I thought I would need it to tap on small links. With practice, the precision of my finger movements has improved and now I hardly ever use the stylus.
Thanks. This is how I'm leaning as well. My niece got the stylus at the same time as the iPad but I have now had my iPad several weeks and become much more proficient with my fingers than I expected.

I’ve had an iPad for around six months and agree with the posters who are suggesting you don’t really need anything to enjoy the device. None the less, you might want to visit Amazon. Put in iPad accessories (make sure you specify in the “search” box "computers." When the items come up click on the upper right hand option to bring up the accessories rated highest by consumers. Lots of interesting stuff out there, already tested by a bazillion people!

Enjoy,

Rich

Sorry I did not mean to sound snarky in my reply above. In my experience, the protective screens are made from plastic and scratch easily and collect dirt which isn't an issue with glass.

No worry, you did not come across as snarky at all. I appreciate the input, so if and when I buy an ipad for myself, I'll avoid the protective film, unless Apple moves away from the glass screen.

A large part of my job is visiting multiple retail locations of a popular technology company, and inspecting the fixtures and displays. On display are many Apple and various brands of android tablets. I have noticed that the iPad screens are by far the most easily scratched. Once you wipe them down with a cleaning cloth to remove all the smudges and fingerprints, the Samsung android tablet screens usually look flawless. The iPad screens always have many small, and sometimes some large scratches.

I would highly recommend the film screen protectors, especially if you plan to resell the iPad in a couple years and upgrade to a newer version. I prefer an android tablet, and use a Samsung without a screen protector, but my wife has had two iPads and has had a screen protector on at all times. It does not affect the experience in any way, once it's on.

Really? Scratches in glass? Those iPads must be owned by people wearing huge rings or something. My fingertips just can't seem to scratch glass (and the cover is over the screen when I am not using it).

I don't see ANY scratches whatsoever in my iPad, after a year. Maybe that is due to my aging vision. However I do see all the smudges and fingermarks, which require cleaning it off quite a bit.

Really? Scratches in glass? Those iPads must be owned by people wearing huge rings or something. My fingertips just can't seem to scratch glass (and the cover is over the screen when I am not using it).

I don't see ANY scratches whatsoever in my iPad, after a year. Maybe that is due to my aging vision. However I do see all the smudges and fingermarks, which require cleaning it off quite a bit.

+1

The iPad screen is not just glass, but Gorilla Glass which is very hard and particularly scratch resistant.

I should use a stylus on this non-iPhone as the screen keyboard is so small--I just texted DH that I licked the car. I'm sure I could scratch an iPad screen by tossing it in a tote bag and having keys or a pen work its way under the cover somehow.

..and what did your DH think about you licking the car? :smile:

I don't see ANY scratches whatsoever in my iPad, after a year.

I've had my iPad since March, 2011, and it gets used every single day. It has also been on at least a dozen road trips, just tossed in my briefcase. Sometimes I use it for hours at a time. Not even the slightest scratch or nick in the glass after nearly two years.

I know some land surveyors that use iPads out in the field, and they get dirty, but the screens haven't been scratched.

The accessories I use the most on my Ipad are Apple's folding cover.
I splurged and got the leather one. I did have the synthetic which got stained and wouldn't come clean.

The second one is a padded bag for it. I put the Ipad in the bag and it protects it in my cycling bad when I ride the bicycle to work.

Amazon.com: STM Jacket for iPad (dp-2139-3, Black/Teal): Electronics

The third is a cheap plastic case for the back, the glass on the front doesn't get scratched but the aluminum will.
This is the one I use.
Amazon.com: Smart Cover Partner Snap On Slim-Fit Case for Apple iPad 2 - Crystal Clear: Electronics

This is typical of what I see. I will continue to use screen protectors on my iPads.

imag0402q.jpg

imag0403w.jpg

imag0404u.jpg

Wow, my iPad is 20 months old, used every day - not a single scratch. Just a billion fingerprints...

Sometimes mine gets little marks like that on it too, but in my case they wash off with a little water and a soft cloth. Not even one scratch yet.

That is an ipad on display in a retail location. It has been on display only a few months, in one of my slowest stores. I would estimate that my personal tablet gets significantly more use on a daily basis than this ipad does. The pictures were taken after I cleaned the screen. Those are scratches, not smudges.

Yes, they are glass, and yes, they can be scratched.

That is an ipad on display in a retail location. It has been on display only a few months, in one of my slowest stores. I would estimate that my personal tablet gets significantly more use on a daily basis than this ipad does. The pictures were taken after I cleaned the screen. Those are scratches, not smudges.

Yes, they are glass, and yes, they can be scratched.
With all due respect, a demo floor model is probably not representative of what an individual user can expect. Unfortunately, lots of people abuse floor models of almost everything. No proof, but I'd be willling to bet the occasional "customer" tries to scratch the screen just to see what happens...

Back
Top Bottom