By the looks Grey Hair is now in fashion

DangerMouse

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Not sure if anyone read this article, but it appears that finally the world of fashion seems to be accepting that hair really does go grey, even if you are a supermodel. What was interesting to me about this story, was my initial reaction was she looked a bit creepy with that long grey hair, however it now has me thinking about letting my hair go grey. It's been six weeks since I had it coloured and I know have that telling skunk stripe down the middle, but I was looking at the photo and thinking how much healthier her hair looks than mine does.

So has anyone been brave enough to just let it go and keep it long?

45-year-old model Kristen McMenamy reveals her true grey hair colour | Mail Online

I think she looks creepy because I can't see her eyebrows.

I'm letting my hair down (so to speak) by growing it long again. My skin tone is olive, so I don't think I'd look too good with grey hair, so for now I'll let my locks grow and color it every once in a while.

DW and her sister are letting their hair go grey. SIL is older and it looks great on her. DW is part grey now and again it looks just fine. (but I'd still be crazy about her whatever the color of her hair).

And I just started to color mine within the last year.(low-lights).:blush: I look too washed out without any color. I also think the model with the long hair also looks too washed out. I don't wear make up so I'm all ashen looking without any hair color. I love the silver in my hair when it peeks thru especially in large clumps, kinda like silver highlights but I really need some dark in there too.

The first time I had it low-lighted, the silver was completely covered and it was just too dark. This last time, she did little lighter shade and I don't think the cap had quite a many holes so you can really see the grey (silver:rolleyes:). It looks natural tho.

I like long hair but I think hers is too long on her. The color is striking; I just think she'd look better if she cut it a little shorter.

I normally put highlights in my hair once or twice a year, to try to camouflage or blend with the grey hair. I haven't done that in about 6 months, and I'm trying to wait it out to see how it looks. Not sure how this will end up.

Not a good look for her - or for me either. Here are a couple ladies who look fab with grey hair:

Emmylou Harris
Meryl Streep

Attachments

• emmylou.jpg
    emmylou.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
  • meryl.jpg
    meryl.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
Love that grey on Emmylou Harris. Only problem is they are both fully made up. I wonder what they look like when they roll out of bed in the morning, how does the grey go with their skin tones.

My problem is I am very pasty in the skin tones, so without colour in my hair I look too washed out. However, I could reverse my colour process. Let my hair grow out and have a spray tan done once a week.

Your natural skin tone looks good with grey. Plus your hair has a nice wave in it. Interesting how your hair looks much like your avatar!

Love that grey on Emmylou Harris. Only problem is they are both fully made up. I wonder what they look like when they roll out of bed in the morning, how does the grey go with their skin tones.

My problem is I am very pasty in the skin tones, so without colour in my hair I look too washed out. However, I could reverse my colour process. Let my hair grow out and have a spray tan done once a week.

Another lady who looks good in grey but doesn't wear much make up. I had the honor of meeting her years ago and she was very natural and beautiful in person.

Attachments

• barbara.jpg
    barbara.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 2
Hey I'm fashionable. Per DW - beautiful silver hair.

Here's another one of Emmylou with her friends (a blond and black haired beauties - yes, you could say she is a favorite of mine)...

Attachments

• emmylou-harris.jpg
    emmylou-harris.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 180
Ok...here I am with grey hair.....:LOL:

Attachments

• Copy (2) of Copy of wine2.jpg
    Copy (2) of Copy of wine2.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,046
When I was considering going from blonde to grey, I told a woman in an airport how pretty I thought her grey hair was. She told me she thought the key to good, not old looking, grey hair was a great cut. I stopped coloring mine (and had a really easy transition, from faded blonde to a not-very-different grey) and have kept it in a contemporary-looking chin-length bob. I like it and get lots of compliments. And I LOVE not needing to worry about that last week before time to color again!

Sorry, but that model looks creepy! (and it's not the hair color)

I let mine go a long while back. I have grey to white bangs, and grey streaks in otherwise blonde to dark brown hair. It's a mess!

But occasionally I get compliments on how "cool" my hair looks.

Audrey

My DW was born with blonde hair that was almost white. It got darker as she got older, and by the time she was in high school she was coloring it back to her original color. Her natural color (a gold brown looking thing last time I saw it) just doesn't look good. She constantly fights with her colorist to get the right tone, a blonde with a very white look or tone.

So she came home a few days ago from getting her hair done and she looked just like that picture of Kristen McMenemy. She has similar skin tone, same color eyes, built about the same, etc. And the effect was the same - she looked washed out. She saw the look on my face and quickly explained it was something that would wash out with the first shampooing.

If she ever wants to go gray I'm lobbying for the Emmylou coloring scheme.

Sorry, but that model looks creepy! (and it's not the hair color)
Am I the only one here who thinks Ms McMenamy would look better ten pounds heavier? She is so bony! to me she doesn't look very healthy in that photo.
I let mine go a long while back. I have grey to white bangs, and grey streaks in otherwise blonde to dark brown hair. It's a mess!

But occasionally I get compliments on how "cool" my hair looks.

Audrey
My mom got a gray streak over the top while the rest of her hair was still dark. By the time she was in her 70's, her hair had turned completely silver and it's just beautiful. I always tell her I hope mine turns a pretty color like hers. But even if it doesn't, I'm not going to dye it. I don't know how hair color would affect the texture or if it would change how it responds to being heat-straightened. My guess (based on how it reacted to being permed) is that I wouldn't like the results. Besides, I never want to go back to paying someone else to do my hair. Why, adding the cost of a regular hairdresser appointment to my budget might mean I'd have to put off my ER date! ;)

Same model, different lighting conditions. She's still a little freaky looking, but from looking at other things she has done in past, this look is very conservative for her. Anyway, I like the hair color as it appears in this lighting.

kristenvogue11-500x706.jpg

She is a little on the thin side, but she's a model and that's just what they look like. And I like skinny women, so I'm prejudiced toward the look.

I notice that the striking gray hair that many like is almost uniformly a light silver color. It doesn't have the dark hair mixed in that makes hair look gray.

A few months ago I quit coloring my hair mostly to see how it looks. I cut it very short when I did and my just growing it out. In about another month I will cut off all the color. I note that so far I can see that while I have a few silver patches the middle and back are all that dark gray look. I suspect I will be going back to coloring once I satisfy my curiousity.

I'd be delighted with whatever color it is before it all falls out...

Back
Top Bottom