cabin air filters

Earl E Retyre

Full time employment: Posting here.
We had not changed our cabin air filters on our vehicles for years. It seems like the oil change places used to check it for you. So, I googled how to do it and in both my cars you access the cabin air filter through the glove compartment. So, it is really easy to do yourself (for about $20). One of the car's filters was pretty bad and the other was not too bad but still needed changing. Probably should have done it sooner.

Yes, it is an easy replacement for mild mechanical skills. Now save money by buying the cabin air filter(s) for cheap by mail order (amazon, ebay, etc) vs the dealer or local auto parts without a discount. The filters have a long shelf life, so order extra and keep a spare for the next time or two.

I do mine every year. Get the best price and swap them out.

Never even knew they existed. That's a change I can still do myself.

The oil change places always try to con you into having them install one, at a grossly inflated price. They got me just once. As it turns out, they forgot to put the filter in, just put the cover back on and put the glove box back in. I only noticed because when I saw the price I had to go check to see where the gold plating was on the filter!

Some people never change it for the life of the car. If you drive on dirt roads or in dusty conditions, this probably isn't a good idea. But for most people, you can go years before changing it.

these days there is washable too. Yes, it is more expensive but I just dont like to produce so many pulp product for disposal way. I was proud of installing it by myself, but soon after got the total loss accident ;(

I change mine as recommended by the manual that came with the car. It is easy and the filters are only $10-15.

The oil change places always try to con you into having them install one, at a grossly inflated price. They got me just once. As it turns out, they forgot to put the filter in, just put the cover back on and put the glove box back in. I only noticed because when I saw the price I had to go check to see where the gold plating was on the filter!

As I was reading this thread, I thought some cheaters would just claim to have changed it to "make" extra profit... I wonder how many customers they have forgotten to actually change ?

Some people never change it for the life of the car. If you drive on dirt roads or in dusty conditions, this probably isn't a good idea. But for most people, you can go years before changing it.

Older cars like DW's doesn't even have an air filter for the cabin. I like that my van does.

As I was reading this thread, I thought some cheaters would just claim to have changed it to "make" extra profit... I wonder how many customers they have forgotten to actually change ?

Or how many recommend swapping the filter regardless if it needs changing?

I’d recommend putting a new one in right before going for an oil change and see what they say.

I’d recommend putting a new one in right before going for an oil change and see what they say.

I don’t think they ever base it on an inspection given that it’s inside the car to access it. They usually say something like “based on mileage” it’s due to be changed.

Either way there’s just a few things left I do maintenance wise on my vehicle and this is one of them because it’s just too easy versus what they charge. The other few things are, wipers, engine air filter and top off the windshield washer fluid.

I don’t let them touch the washer fluid because I like bug removing fluid in the warmer months and I want to make sure I get a freeze proof version in there before winter. I’ve had them put cheap fluid in and it freeze up in the winter.

Last edited:
I would say for many cars changing the engine air filter is just as easy (or easier) and a LOT cheaper than letting the dealer do it.
I usually change both the cabin air filter and the engine air filter at the same time.... usually every 12 to 18 months. About $25-30 from Amazon as I recall.

I can honestly admit I have never changed a cabin air filter in any car I've ever owned. Not one car dealership ever asked me when I was trading in a car if the cabin air filter was replaced IAW the owner's manual.

Mike

I can honestly admit I have never changed a cabin air filter in any car I've ever owned. Not one car dealership ever asked me when I was trading in a car if the cabin air filter was replaced IAW the owner's manual.

Mike

You should look at your current one, especially if your car is more than a year old. Personally, I think once you see how dirty one gets, you’d want to change it. All your internal cabin air goes through it.

You should look at your current one, especially if your car is more than a year old. Personally, I think once you see how dirty one gets, you’d want to change it. All your internal cabin air goes through it.
I replace mine. Very easy. The worse part. I have had mice in there completely ripping it up and even trying to nest in it. Makes it messy:cool:

I don’t let them touch the washer fluid because I like bug removing fluid in the warmer months and I want to make sure I get a freeze proof version in there before winter. I’ve had them put cheap fluid in and it freeze up in the winter.

^^ Yes! They'll use the cheapest crap they can, and it'll freeze up in winter or just do nothing more than plain water in summer.

I haven't done the quickie oil change places in a while. One of the things I used to hate is when they had some gullible customer, often a woman, in the waiting room with me. They'd come out in the lab coat carrying a clipboard, with a serious look on their face. They'd try to up-sell the poor lady all kinds of things she didn't really understand. It was hard to keep quiet during this assault. I think more than once I didn't succeed.

Personally, if they come out and tell me I need a new cabin air filter or whatever, I'll just say "Thanks. I'll pick one up next time I'm at Walmart."

My ex-mechanic scammed me on this until I discovered I could do it myself. He charged $100+ for what was a 5 min job that required no complex skills or computer scanning. Was so annoyed after I found out, as we were loyal customers who gave him a lot of business over the years.

He claimed, which I do realize is how most mechanics price, that it was a flat labor rate to change AC cabin filter for any car, as some were harder to access vs others. Mine just happened to be one of the easier ones, so he made out like a bandit. I think he should have cut us a break, but whatever.

I now have 2 cars - one super easy to access and change; the other, a GM brand, extremely difficult to access, requiring dissembling a lot of stuff to get to it, according to youtube videos. So may get stuck paying the bucks to have that one professionally done. :rolleyes:

I don’t think they ever base it on an inspection given that it’s inside the car to access it. They usually say something like “based on mileage” it’s due to be changed.

While sitting in a dealership waiting room I've seen a tech come out of the back with a dirty filter in his hands. He showed it to the customer and recommended they change the filter. Cynical me wonders if they just have a dirty filter sitting around that they can show their customers so they upcharge them.

I always view it like when a dentist says I need a filling. If I go regularly, and it's the first time they've made the recommendation? Eh, I've probably got a few visits before I actually need to think about it.

I recently purchased a used Camry and changed some of the filters. Here is a pic of the cabin air filter along side the new replacement. Prior to changing the filter, the AC blew cold with no odors so I was a bit surprised. I assume the previous owner(s) primarily parked this vehicle outside.

Attachments

• 2EF23F13-2CBB-4D4C-A355-FF31B0347464.jpg
    2EF23F13-2CBB-4D4C-A355-FF31B0347464.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 33
I write the mileage and date on air and cabin filters with magic marker. So the tech and I both know if the filter needs to be changed.

While sitting in a dealership waiting room I've seen a tech come out of the back with a dirty filter in his hands. He showed it to the customer and recommended they change the filter. Cynical me wonders if they just have a dirty filter sitting around that they can show their customers so they upcharge them.

My mechanic takes a photo of some things that need changing (like filters) and it is part of the report I get after the car is serviced. He recommended I change the cabin filter soon. He was right. I did it myself for less than 1/2 the cost. Now I need to look at the air filter.

Back
Top Bottom