Ceviche recipe?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have gone on the net looking for a shrimp ceviche recipe that is great. I have tried maybe 3 recipes so far that looked good, but turned out to be only so-so. Does anyone out there have a recipe for ceviche that is tried and true and Excellent?

I use a fairly basic recipe for ceviche, but I don't use shrimp in it.
When I'm doing shrimp, I pickle them in a mixture of quality oil, vinegar, big slices of red onion, and lots of spice. I think my original recipe came from Charleston Receipts.

For ceviche, I usually use crabmeat (pick it for shells first), and mix it in a glass bowl with fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice, lots of finely diced onion, and some white pepper. Let it sit until the crab "cooks", usually a couple of hours. Great on crackers.

Blondie from Alabama by way of 35 years in New Orleans says:

Marinate 4-5 hrs or to taste in K-Mart generic Zesty Italian - serve on Ritz and chase with Beer.

Happy Mardis Gras - 76 degrees and partly cloudy on the St Charles parade route. Ain't cell phones wonderful!

32 Degrees here with ice pellets north of Kansas City with 5 to 7 inches of snow predicted for tonight.

heh heh heh - we always marinated in the shell - crab claws or shrimp - they lasted longer that way.

If you are in the Kansas City, MO., area, it is so pretty there. Rolling green hills and the city with the most statues in America it seems. Nice, nice area. Spent 2 weeks there at Mo. Auction school once. Really.
I guess ceviche hasn't made its way up north yet. Still kinda Mexican, I think, as a dish.

If you are in the Kansas City, MO., area, it is so pretty there. Rolling green hills and the city with the most statues in America it seems. Nice, nice area. Spent 2 weeks there at Mo. Auction school once. Really.
I guess ceviche hasn't made its way up north yet. Still kinda Mexican, I think, as a dish.

The good old boy version I ate in New Orleans - lime juice, red dot Louisiana Hot Sauce with Red Snapper fillets in a ziplock bag. Then sear/quick fry each side in peanut oil. Serve with salad on the side or 'dressed' on a Po-Boy. Even though the lime juice did it's job - he seared it anyway - :confused:for surface appearance??

heh heh heh - :cool: He was a Doc - maybe to make sure it was done?

Back
Top Bottom