Coffee Prep Tricks

I put the cup under the spout of the Jura Ena Micro 1 and push the button. It grinds the beans, loads the chamber, and pumps the coffee into the cup. Then chucks the puck of grounds into a waste bin.

I'd be in trouble if I bought one of those... :eek:

Did you put this in the "blow that dough" thread :flowers:

My only suggestion is to use filtered or spring water. I think the coffee tastes better that way.
Yes, prepare your water too! It makes a difference.

The single biggeswt improvement I made to my coffee was getting a burr grinder. IMO, gettting a burr grinder is more important that getting a fancy coffee maker.

For my daily cups I use a Mr. Coffee Jr. It makes two very fine cups of coffee. I don't need any tricks. Just fill the water, add the filter and coffee and turn it on.

I also have had a Jura espresso machine for 10 years. At the push of a button, It grinds the been and produces a shot or a somewhat bigger cup if I like. Great coffee and every cup is freshly made. But, it requires more maintenance than the MC Jr. machine so I use it mainly when I want an espresso of just a very quick cup.

Thehe Jura is Expensive to purchase, but, compared to K-cups, the consumables are very cheap. One $15 bag of beans from Costco makes about 5x more coffee than a $40 package of k-cups. And it tastes much better.

K-cups are from the >:D, IMHO. But, to each his own.
I agree with your points and reasoning.

We've been using up a 5lb bag of beans that was a gift. Lifting that up has been some real labor. It's Colombe Corsica Blend. Fill up half the hopper on the Bellemain Burr Coffee Grinder. This gets us through a couple of days.

I think smaller bags of beans are fresher to use.

Haven't been to Costco in a long time. I used to enjoy getting their beans.

I'd be in trouble if I bought one of those... :eek:

Did you put this in the "blow that dough" thread :flowers:
I try to purchase devices that are under $50. When they break or become difficult to use, I shed no tears.

We only buy coffee makers that I can convert the reservoir in my "No Fill" / "Auto Fill" system. That and as long as we can grind our own beans is the criteria. I refuse to have a maker that requires one to fill the water reservoir manually after 4 or 5 cups, that is for w$@K%ng stiffs :). I am surprised no one has developed a consumer maker that has "Auto Fill" integrated. It is very simple to do.

So far I have converted our last 4 coffee makers, we only replace them when they die of old age.

We only buy coffee makers that I can convert the reservoir in my "No Fill" / "Auto Fill" system. That and as long as we can grind our own beans is the criteria. I refuse to have a maker that requires one to fill the water reservoir manually after 4 or 5 cups, that is for w$@K%ng stiffs :). I am surprised no one has developed a consumer maker that has "Auto Fill" integrated. It is very simple to do.

So far I have converted our last 4 coffee makers, we only replace them when they die of old age.

I’ve got a coffee maker that does not have a reservoir. It is plumbed directly to my reverse osmosis water system. All I have to do is add the coffee, which I do nightly before I go to bed. Then, just a touch of a button in the morning and I’m good to go. I love the convenience of not having to manually add water.

I’ve got a coffee maker that does not have a reservoir. It is plumbed directly to my reverse osmosis water system. All I have to do is add the coffee, which I do nightly before I go to bed. Then, just a touch of a button in the morning and I’m good to go. I love the convenience of not having to manually add water.

Who makes it? Model Number?

I've been using a Jura machine for a couple of years and it has made a huge difference in my enjoyment of my coffee. I typically drink 3-4 big mugs of it every morning. They're "blow that dough" machines, but well worth it IMHO.

I've been using a Jura machine for a couple of years and it has made a huge difference in my enjoyment of my coffee. I typically drink 3-4 big mugs of it every morning. They're "blow that dough" machines, but well worth it IMHO.

We had a DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM3300 All in One till it died and I could not buy the parts to fix it. As you say they make a GREAT cup, but I found ours a bear to clean. It did not need cleaning often but when it did it I had to take it half apart to do it.

What is the Jura like to clean and are there any "O" rings that need replacing?

What is the Jura like to clean and are there any "O" rings that need replacing?

The Jura really almost cleans itself.
At intervals, depending on how much it's used, it tells you it wants to be cleaned. So you start the cleaning cycle and drop in a cleaning tablet. It goes through the routine and you're done.

Also at intervals, it tells you it wants to be descaled (this varies by the hardness of your water). So you start the descaling cycle and drop in descaling tablets. It goes through the routine and you're done.

Nothing to replace, but due to the machine's cost I only use their OEM cleaning and descaling tablets.

Who makes it? Model Number?

Brew Express BEC-110BS. I bought it on Amazon several years ago. It wasn’t too expensive at the time. You can still get one on Amazon, but the price is now way more than I paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a Braun espresso machine, which was too much trouble. Then we had an old Keurig, but the computer chip in it started acting weird and I had to do a complicated reset a couple of times a week. When I retired I realized how much I like coffee and how little it affects me as far as sleep goes. So we bought a Ninja coffee maker that has a start timer. I love setting up the coffee maker after dinner and waking up to the coffee already made. DH puts so much junk in his coffee (cream and sweetener) that he just does instant a couple of times a day. I put a little cream in once every couple of days but mostly drink it black. And always use filtered water. The water filter in the fridge is just fine for my purposes.

I wouldn't mind trying a coffee press, but I am lazy and impatient.

This summer I've taken a liking to iced coffee with a generous splash of whole milk. I got some mini ice cube trays to make coffee ice cubes, and keep a supply in a ziplock bag in the freezer, with a big jar of coffee in the fridge. I also freeze home-made chocolate syrup in a large ice cube tray for times when an iced mocha sounds good. A couple thawed cubes flavors a pint of mocha.

I think I first learned of the Aeropress on this forum. I have loved it for years. A few months ago I bought a Nespresso mini, and buy Peets espresso pods at Costco. Love my morning Americanos. Truly a high point of my day. (well, considering it's 2020, I'm thankful for that.)

Clever Coffee Dripper and hot water heater pot. It’s a pour over method that lets you steep as long as you want. Inexpensive and great coffee!

I have a cheap Hamilton Beach drip maker that bested some much more expensive machines in Consumer Reports testing especially regarding brewing performance. I also got an OXO burr grinder a year ago and have been very pleased with how it grinds the beans. It uses a stainless steel grounds receptacle which if you leave it for 30 seconds or so after the grinding is done, there is no problem with static electricity. I'm experimenting with different beans and have found a medium dark roast Sumatra Mandheling quite to my liking.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Chemex. My parents had a Chemex and I followed suit, so I guess I have been drinking Chemex for about 65 years.

I worked out all the numbers but have forgotten them. Sorry. Hot water comes from an instant hot water faucet at the sink, probably about 210deg. I burr grind a standard amount of beans at a fineness that gave me the right measured dwell time in the filter. I know the grind time for this so I don't have to measure anything. I put the coffee in the filter, then pour enough hot water to soak it. By the time I pour my orange juice, it is time to dribble a little water down the sides of the filter to form a compact "plug" at the bottom. I let this drain to firm the plug, then pour a "pitcher full" of water. That's it. The pitcher is actually from a Chinese online tea shop and holds exactly the amount of water I need. That's it. One large mug.

I've been using an Aeropress for over 10 years, very simple and makes great coffee. Began roasting my own beans about 3 years ago, started with a Whirley popcorn popper then upgraded to a Behmor, roast about a weeks worth of beans each time.

French press.

I have thought about this. A couple years ago I had a french press coffee (at a brew pub of all places) It was very good. I've been thinking about doing the french press thing. I watched a video the other night.

How much for the accoutrements? Let's say budget class to see if I like it ...or can do it

French press is cheap. If you want to grind beans, add that. But all you really need is ground coffee and boiling water. Measure coffee, pour in water, stir and steep, then press.

French press is easy, simple, good and cheap. The only downside is the soggy plug of coffee grounds to dispose of.

A simple French press coffee maker is $20-25. A simple bean grinder (rotary blade, not burr) is another $25 or so. I would suggest getting the French press first and use already ground coffee. See if you like it. If you do, buy the grinder and grind your own beans.

P.S. - We compost our grounds. They're good for the garden.

Thanks. I'll try out the budget lines first. I quick looked at some that were $150. that set me back a bit. I can ask Santa for the big dollar set

If it's just you, small is an option. We got a liter size one and drained that easy.

Back
Top Bottom