Coffee pot with integrated grinder. Not single serve!

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anybody got one of those integrated grinder coffee pots? If so, tell me about your experience. What I am talking about is one where you put water and whole beans in, then just push the button. Poof! Great coffee.

No Keurig folks, please.

We had a De'Longhi Magnifica for a few years. 5 to be precise, then it started to play up, there was no reliable source of parts, especially those that break and it required regular cleaning, which was a bit of a chore. For >~$500 you would think there would be a good source of parts. I ended up buying broken ones on eBay and trying to salvage them. The Best Coffee while it lasted though.

In the end I tossed it and got a separate grinder (Burr) and a regular single cup coffee machine.

I used to have one of those from Cuisinart, worked just fine.

Currently have a Barrista Expresso maker, has the same thing (grinder part of the unit) - also works just fine. Had it for about 10 years and the pump gave out, but I happily bought a new one for slightly less than I had paid originally.

Get a really good burr grinder, and then you can do pour overs or aeropress. If you want a good coffee maker, look for an SCA checkbox.

It depends if you are looking for a machine to make American coffee by the pot, or espresso by the cup?

We like espresso by the cup. We are on our second one of this model:

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-ESAM3300-Magnifica-Super-Automatic-Espresso/dp/B000N2YKQ0/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1QR0BN556WZTX&keywords=delonghi+magnifica+3300&qid=1688387903&sprefix=%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-2

The first one lasted 10+ years and then it developed a small leak that was more annoying than messy. We looked at having it repaired but then found one at Walmart.com for around $500 so we just replaced it. The second one is going strong after 8+ years. Expensive but if you compare it to a trip to Starbucks every day it's a bargain.

These machines are called super automatic style. Press a button and it grinds beans for one cup, compresses the ground coffee, makes a cup and then pushes the little puck of used grounds into a waste container. No paper filters or plastic cups.

We run a descale liquid through about every 2 months, no other maintenance is necessary, just fill the water & beans containers.

I think this specific model is being discontinued but other similar ones are available. If this one breaks or stops working we will buy another super automatic machine, probably a DeLonghi again.

BrianB

It depends if you are looking for a machine to make American coffee by the pot, or espresso by the cup?

We like espresso by the cup. We are on our second one of this model:

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-ESAM3300-Magnifica-Super-Automatic-Espresso/dp/B000N2YKQ0/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1QR0BN556WZTX&keywords=delonghi+magnifica+3300&qid=1688387903&sprefix=%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-2

The first one lasted 10+ years and then it developed a small leak that was more annoying than messy. We looked at having it repaired but then found one at Walmart.com for around $500 so we just replaced it. The second one is going strong after 8+ years. Expensive but if you compare it to a trip to Starbucks every day it's a bargain.

These machines are called super automatic style. Press a button and it grinds beans for one cup, compresses the ground coffee, makes a cup and then pushes the little puck of used grounds into a waste container. No paper filters or plastic cups.

We run a descale liquid through about every 2 months, no other maintenance is necessary, just fill the water & beans containers.

I think this specific model is being discontinued but other similar ones are available. If this one breaks or stops working we will buy another super automatic machine, probably a DeLonghi again.

BrianB

Thanks.

Will check out your suggestion, but I am really looking for a no labor in the morning solution for a whole pot of great coffee. Was exploring the concept that coffee degrades pretty quickly once the beans are ground.

Trying to make Cafe Americano.

I have a pretty good DeLonghi Espresso machine for when I feel the need.

I haven't used a coffee maker with a grinder but I have been using an expresso maker with a grinder for over 10 years and counting. Brand: Breville. This expresso maker has the grinding chamber on the side of the brewing mechanism. I purposefully chose this "semi-automatic" design because there is no mechanical movement and the water+vapors are away from the grinding mechanism. Mechanical things break. Water/vapor mixed with fine ground coffee creates gunk=jam=failure over time. YMMV.

PS: The only non-automatic part is me tamping the ground coffee, loading the coffee into brewing slot and pressing "brew" button. I take less than a minute and I am OK to trade that time for the longevity. BTW most automatic expresso makers are short lived (3-8 years based on the reviews I read) for their exuberant price so I oped for a cheaper semi-automatic at the time. And it turns out, my reasoning was correct.

Last edited:
I’ve had a Jura Capresso for about a dozen years. It was a retirement gift to myself. It makes a great cup of coffee. Every cup is freshly made. Every few months I clean it ,and I replace the filter about twice a year.

It’s an expensive device. I found mine at Costco. It was a discontinued model at about 40% off. But, I can use the cheapest beans from Costco and it still makes a great cup of coffee. Compared to the K cup machines, over the long run, I think it’s cheaper. And it makes far better coffee.

True Confession Time: in the morning I like to linger over a few cups. I use my Mr. Coffee Jr. for that.

Wife bought one for me. It was a PITA daily chore cleaning it. I think it was Cuisenart. Much better to have a separate grinder IMO.

I can't help on a coffee pot with grinder.
But the best pot of coffee I make is from an old fashioned percolator, nice and strong!
We have a separate burr grinder.
Depending on what I am in the mood for, we have a Keurig cappacino maker, a French Press, and a percolator.

Good luck in your search, I would be interested in what you settle on.

I’m on my second Cuisinart. . DW bought me one several years ago, got the gold basket filter and stainless steel carafe. I bought 2nd one and will stick with these understanding things change. They have 10 and 12 cup models. I have to rinse the bean cup after each use and then I set aside sink to dry out. It also has water filter if that makes a difference to you.

Get a really good burr grinder, and then you can do pour overs or aeropress. If you want a good coffee maker, look for an SCA checkbox.
+1
Doc told me to go to 1 cup, so I broke out the AeroPress. Better taste & fresh everytime with a burr grinder. Even DW is on board.

Nice thing is you can get an espresso strength or add hot water to have a legit americano.

Will come in handy next week for the camping trip too.

Last edited:
+1
Doc told me to go to 1 cup, so I broke out the AeroPress. Better taste & fresh everytime with a burr grinder. Even DW is on board.

Nice thing is you can get an espresso strength or add hot water to have a legit americano.

Getting a burr grinder was the single best thing I did to improve the quality of my cup of coffee. My Jura also has a burr grinder built into it.

Getting a burr grinder was the single best thing I did to improve the quality of my cup of coffee. My Jura also has a burr grinder built into it.

Ditto

DW needs her coffee scalding, but I get up an hour before. Going to the single cup gives her exactly what she wants. Side plus is we use half the daily grind vs a pot from the Bunn drip pot.

I am looking seriously at this one.

https://tchibo.us/products/the-tchibo

Refurb with full warranty is $299.

Well, I put my money where my mouth was and purchased this one new from Amazon as it was $75 off. It arrives Saturday.

I will design an Auto-Fill for the water reservoir as I have done with all my coffee makers since the late 90's. Will keep you all updated. For us the inconvenience of having to keep filling the water reservoir is the biggest flaw in today's consumer grade machines. I am surprised that no vendors include this feature. It is so easy to implement and only costs about ~$25. I have designed systems for a lot of coffee makers. I simply design a bracket on my 3D printer for any given reservoir and install a cheap potable water float valve (Plastic). I feed it from a Tee in the refrigerator's ice makers' water supply via an in-line carbon filter. One just needs to make sure the reservoir is wide enough to accept the valve assembly which is about 35mm. That is my chief criterion when evaluating a new machine.

Last edited:
And what does a burr grinder do for you that my Krups ($20) doesn't? Not opposed, just seeking enlightenment.

They are better, and more consistent. Also, personal preference, we too have had both. The Burr lasted a lot longer. I also use a Burr for Salt and Pepper grinding.

And what does a burr grinder do for you that my Krups ($20) doesn't? Not opposed, just seeking enlightenment.
More even grinds, resulting in a more uniform size and flavor. Upgrading from a blade grinder was the cheapest improvement of the many thousands I've spent on coffee hardware.

Last edited:
^^^^
This...we got a Krups burr grinder 12 cup. $30 on ebay or $60 on Amazon...

Last edited:
I am very happy with the Tchibo coffee maker I purchased, I installed my custom designed AutoFill water reservoir system, and it works a treat. It does not have a built in milk frother, but that is OK, as we like plain coffee, not the trendy variants.

Attachments

• 20230709_120656[1].jpg
    20230709_120656[1].jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
OP here. Before I spend the big bucks, I thought I would try some simple things. First I cleaned my coffee pot, changed the internal filter and used the premium (Starbucks, Peets) ground coffees. Still need too much creamer to make it taste good.

Next I purchased Food Lion brand whole beans. Basically, the cheapest whole beans I could find. Ground in the morning, using my ancient, cheap Krups (not the burr grinder you suggested) before I start the pot. That cheap, poorly ground coffee was as good as the expensive ground coffee.

My plan is to use up the cheap whole beans, then move on to more expensive whole beans. Part of this is getting used to less coffee as I did not see whole bean decaf coffee. They appears to exist. Maybe that is another experiment - whole bean decaf.

If this does not give me the coffee of my dreams, my next move is to buy a burr grinder that a number of you have described.

After all of this, I may consider the all-in-one grind and brew coffee machines. They appear quite pricey and DW can still point to the De'Longhi espresso machine in the closet that I use once every three years.

Sound like a plan?

OP here. Before I spend the big bucks, I thought I would try some simple things. First I cleaned my coffee pot, changed the internal filter and used the premium (Starbucks, Peets) ground coffees. Still need too much creamer to make it taste good.

Next I purchased Food Lion brand whole beans. Basically, the cheapest whole beans I could find. Ground in the morning, using my ancient, cheap Krups (not the burr grinder you suggested) before I start the pot. That cheap, poorly ground coffee was as good as the expensive ground coffee.

My plan is to use up the cheap whole beans, then move on to more expensive whole beans. Part of this is getting used to less coffee as I did not see whole bean decaf coffee. They appears to exist. Maybe that is another experiment - whole bean decaf.

If this does not give me the coffee of my dreams, my next move is to buy a burr grinder that a number of you have described.

After all of this, I may consider the all-in-one grind and brew coffee machines. They appear quite pricey and DW can still point to the De'Longhi espresso machine in the closet that I use once every three years.

Sound like a plan?
Yes.

Peets has some good, chocolaty decaffeinated coffee. You can get it in your grocery store, but it's better to order from them and get fresh roasted coffee. Also, black and white roasters have a nice bright sugarcane decaf that is very good.

I was shocked after using my blade grinder for years. Buying preground showed me how poorly the blade grinder worked. Best wishes.

You can get decaf whole bean coffee. I get the Costco brand, but am currently testing decaf coffees from several boutique coffee places to see if they are worth the considerately higher price.

In regards to your plan, I am all for experimenting and saving money. As I mentioned before I found that getting a burr grinder did more to improve the taste of my coffee than anything else I had tried (using filtered water for example).

Back
Top Bottom