Coffee pot with integrated grinder. Not single serve!

You can get decaf whole bean coffee. I get the Costco brand, but am currently testing decaf coffees from several boutique coffee places to see if they are worth the considerately higher price.

In regards to your plan, I am all for experimenting and saving money. As I mentioned before I found that getting a burr grinder did more to improve the taste of my coffee than anything else I had tried (using filtered water for example).

I'd love to know how they get the caffeine out of the bean without grinding and processing the remains?

You can get decaf whole bean coffee. I get the Costco brand, but am currently testing decaf coffees from several boutique coffee places to see if they are worth the considerately higher price.

In regards to your plan, I am all for experimenting and saving money. As I mentioned before I found that getting a burr grinder did more to improve the taste of my coffee than anything else I had tried (using filtered water for example).

None of the local retail establishments (Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Walmart) have whole bean decaf coffee in stock. I can order online for shipping, which is fine. Don't have a Costco within 60 miles. I can get wbdc online for 55 to 72 cents an ounce. Probably more if I went with higher end.

The above was just background to ask: What are you paying per ounce for the Costco brand? And for the boutique brands?

Not that it matters much compared to driving to the local Starbucks and paying $4 for one cup of coffee. Just askin'

I'd love to know how they get the caffeine out of the bean without grinding and processing the remains?

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20180917-how-do-you-decaffeinate-coffee

You might think that it would be easier to roast the coffee, grind it into the required powder (espresso, filter or instant) and then begin the decaffeination process. Not, so says Stemman.
“It takes place when the coffee is green, before roasting.

Supposedly, the best process is the Swiss Water method. Or perhaps a new one that uses carbon dioxide.

The fancy boutique coffee I just bought is Swiss Water process.

Last edited:
Update

1. Grinding whole beans in the morning made a big difference.
  2. Only making half a pot so the later cups are not burned made a big difference.
  3. $38 SharDor burr grinder made a big difference. My old normal grinder made a mess on the counter even though I tried to be careful. The burr grinder has settings for espresso, drip, percolate, etc. And it has settings for number of cups. I suspect that the burr grinder grinds more coffee than I used to use. DW likes weaker coffee. I like it stronger. Will negotiate before eventually capitulating.
  4. Now I am experimenting with different types of whole bean coffee. My Kicking Horse high end decaf whole beans are very good, as is the StarBucks whole bean full caf. Next I will try some Harris Teeter Whole Bean Decaf which are now in stock and on sale.

Back
Top Bottom