Compressors and nailers

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone have some good knowledge of compressors and nailers? I'm thinking of getting one, but dont know a lot about them. From what i've seen, some framing nailers need a lot more SCFM at a particular pressure level to operate, and some of the smaller, cheaper ones dont have enough oomph.

Something I'll probably use 8-10 times a year, but use it a lot during those times. Fence building and repairs, putting in baseboard or crown moulding. That sort of thing.

Would want good portability and ease of taking it to a second or third story, so not too interested in something that weighs 50lbs and has to be wheeled around. Would likely never attach more than one gun to it.

I've seen that costco has a campbell hausfeld set with a stapler, brad nailer and framing nailer for about $199 and they arent moving, so I'd figure to see them clearanced in a month or two for less than that. I'm familiar with CH stuff, and its generally decent but nothing special. Getting the set for what i'd pay for just the dewalt or porter cable framing gun would be cool.

So anyone with experience with a good small compressor for medium duty occasional work, preferably oilless because I tend to keep putting off minor maintenance. Unless someone wants to try and talk me out of that.

Any experience with the CH nail guns?

Yep, got healthcare now and i'm getting brave... ;)

Can't help you with information about a nailer, but I've had a campbell hausfeld compressor for over 10 years. Used if for everything from painting to inflating, to stapling. I've lent it out to lots of people to do more of the same. It's 100 psi max. I think it's marginal for stapling, but the compressor seems rugged.

Hopefully, you'll get a reply from someone with more experience than me.

I saw that set, but it doesnt have a framing nailer, which is what I'd probably use the most. Good size chunk of change to add that in. I was hoping for a $100ish compressor that'd do the job, plus that costco 3 nailer set on clearance for around $150.

If I hadnt just burned almost 3k on a non-beneficial cobra payment (with more to come!!!) and my wife wasnt teetering on quitting her job, i'd feel a little freer with the cash.l

I saw that set, but it doesnt have a framing nailer, which is what I'd probably use the most. Good size chunk of change to add that in. I was hoping for a $100ish compressor that'd do the job, plus that costco 3 nailer set on clearance for around $150.

If I hadnt just burned almost 3k on a non-beneficial cobra payment (with more to come!!!) and my wife wasnt teetering on quitting her job, i'd feel a little freer with the cash.l

Ok, unless you are going to be building a number of houses, just get a decent used Senco or Porter Cable framing nailer to go w/ the Amazon set. Costco's will probably work ok, and great warrantee, but the Senco or PC will get you street cred.

My brothers use Bostitch stuff... framing, finishing, etc. They seem to like them a lot, and I thought they worked well. Dunno how they compare price-wise.

Of course you should do what you want, and have no desire to talk you into anything, but when I purchase tools I try to look at the lifetime cost of owning it....I'd much rather spend more and have them perform well than save a few bucks and be disappointed or need to replace them down the road.

I always have an easy time justifying expensive tool purchases...I compare the cost of buying the tools with the cost of hiring someone that has the tools to do what I want done.

Buying the tools is almost always cheaper. :>)

Oh yea, this is the framing nailer I added to the set:

Amazon.com: Porter-Cable FR350A Round Head 2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Framing Nailer: Home Improvement

And you might want one of these:

51G85T876RL._AA280_.jpg

Last edited:
Bostich and campbell hausfeld are cheaper. Dewalt and Porter Cable are quite a bit more expensive. Some craftsman stuff is priced in the middle.

I've used a CH airless paint sprayer and like it a lot. But I've seen some of their compressors have pretty weak SCFM ratings at pressure levels the framing nailers need.

Any comments on the oil free vs oiled compressors? All i've heard is that the oil free ones are loud, which I could care less about.

Avoid the oil free compressors like the plague. The ones I have been around are loud as hell...

DH used Porter Cable. You can sometimes find them discounted on the web.

When it comes to tools avoid cheap... there is nothing worse than a misfire. You spend a lot of time adjusting the thing and risk a serious accident as worst. Also, the availability of consumables (nails) that work well with your equipment and a service center should be considered.

I went with Bostitch framer and finish nailer ... lay alot of pine flooring (1100 sq ft at the lake) so it gets used alot. No problem yet ... just keep it oiled.

Went with the 25 gallon Craftsman compressor ... FIL wanted to do some sand blasting with it. Its on wheels but forget about moving this beast up stairs just carry an extra hose, lower it from the window, and let the beast run outside. Allows me to hear the radio.

Haven't hammered a nail ever since I picked up the finish nailer; big difference on the finished product. Also like have another hand.

I just bought a Bostitch three-gun and compressor kit. It has been great so far. They are on sale at Lowe's still I believe, for $284.00. It does not come with a framing gun, however. Actually, I just found a link for you. The compressor is pretty loud, but that doesn't bother me. I'm not working in a library.
3-Tool Compresor Combo Kit

I own a Porter Cable compressor, and the finish nailer that came with it. No issues.

Also, bought the C-H set at Costco, but haven't used any of them yet. This fall, will use the big cahuna to replace my ailing fence.

As far as SCFM, this is an issue with paint guns, and maybe impact wrenches, but the amount of air used to fire a nail gun seems insignificant, unless you're nailing like a bunny... :p

Anyone have some good knowledge of compressors and nailers? I'm thinking of getting one, but dont know a lot about them. From what i've seen, some framing nailers need a lot more SCFM at a particular pressure level to operate, and some of the smaller, cheaper ones dont have enough oomph.
I read the thread's subject line, saw who wrote it, and thought "No good can come of this." You've paid the COBRA premium, right?

But I bet it'd open a lot of safes, and you could always use it to charge up an air car!

I don't use 'em or own 'em. But in general the tools that have given me the best service have been the ones that cost more, required less fiddling & adjusting, and didn't attempt to avoid the use of lubricants. And if you're not happy with it you could always sell it on Craigslist.

If you're looking for another great discount toolstore then consider a pawnshop. They're filled with contractor inventory...

Indeed, the cobra premiums been paid.

My wife came to the same initial conclusion.

By the way, speaking of the safe...which if you'll recall became a problem when we didnt know what happened to the key...a few days ago, Gabe comes up to me jingling the set of 'keys' I made for him a year and a half ago so he'd have his own set...from a handful of random keys from the "box o keys"...including the safe key.

ARGH!

I think I'll have to defer this purchase for a bit. Coughing up $500 for some tools I dont have a dire and immediate need for just isnt in the budget this month. I was hoping for a decent compressor, finish nailer and a stapler for under $300 but I havent found a decent inexpensive all in one set that includes the framing nailer AND a decent compressor. They all want to load you up with the smaller guns.

I wrote that friggin check thinking "here goes my new laptop, and a compressor/nailer kit, and about 8 other fun things I wanted to have..."

CFB,

This is what you NEED:
Compressor 33 gallon 6HP peak will run almost air tools. If you really must get those rusty lug nuts off the beater, you'll need to spend real money.
Compressor kit (all the junk you need sooner or later like air wrench, inflator kit, high pressure air gun, quick connectors, etc.).

18 gauge finishing nailer/stapler
16 gauge nailer

The installation - An upright compressor won't take up a lot of floorspace. Put it in a corner somewhere then run black iron pipe (with a tap or 2)to a convenient spot, attach good rubber hose there. The compressor will have multiple ports so you can even have another hose near the compressor (think octopus).

When I buy a new tool like this I get everything at once - can't help it. For example 1 box of each size nail/staple for both guns.

I'll probably end up with some cans of computer keyboard compressed air, some duct tape, a straw, a nail, and a band-aid.

Whats amazing isnt so much that he managed to shoot himself six times in the head, but that he survived.

Nice restraint by the way...i expected to see this posted within 15 minutes.

I cant hammer a nail straight for beans. Neither can most of the contractors I've seen. Which is why I think the nail gun was invented!

After building a piece of framing to mount my house fan in, spending a couple of hours renailing fence boards, and with several fence rebuilds ahead of me and some further framing work at the old house...i could use a little automation help.

Besides shouldnt YOU be the guy pushing me to get a pneumatic device capable of shooting shards of metal at high velocity?

oops almost forgot the "jitterbug" sander and the palm nailer (not what you're thinking).

Back
Top Bottom