Congress outlaws loud commercials

Taxonomists do not define words. they classify things

That's EXACTLY what I told my friend the other day. He said that a taxonomist was someone who stuffed dead animals, and that he'd known one who mounted a beaver. I stopped him right there and told him that a taxonomist was someone who classified things--usually using words very precisely, since there's no point in putting things into bins if you don't define the bins well. Using words.

That's EXACTLY what I told my friend the other day. He said that a taxonomist was someone who stuffed dead animals, and that he'd known one who mounted a beaver. I stopped him right there and told him that a taxonomist was someone who classified things--usually using words very precisely, since there's no point in putting things into bins if you don't define the bins well. Using words.

Defining and classifying are not the same thing. You have made the common mistake of assuming that bins are the only system of classification i.e. something goes into one bin or another. Binning is routine in biological classification since tree branching is the way of nature. but it is not the norm in human created items. Most taxonomic classifications are properly matrices, and routinely have a teleological component. I.e. is a baseball bat a "weapon" ? All the false claims of precision in language do not help answer the question, since a definitonm that changes with the context is not a definition of the object.

Taxonomists are especially interested in cases where words are manipulated for political ends. E.g. a "fetus" is a biomedical word, a "person" is a legal word. an "unborn person" certainly is a synthentic piece of political cant. Now language is flexible and changes so it may become a proper word. But flexibility and change in language means precision in language is an illusion.

The proper question is WHY do you need to call a baseball bat a weapon or not? What is the context? This is not a matter of definition, but classification . Routinely we find that we have to create complex multi attribute classification systems called matrices. A baseball bat is a weapon in some cases and not others. The reason for matrix classification is that word descriptions of complex items or situations are necessarily imprecise.

Reification is the error of confusing the word and or its definition and the underlying assertion of reality. It was described most effectively in the area of IQ testing.

Is there a topic here?

Oh, yeah, loud commercials.

I was watching something after midnight in a fit of insomnia and the commercials were so loud that even when I turned the sound all the way down I could hear them.

. . . But flexibility and change in language means precision in language is an illusion.

From the master:

"The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning."
- Mark Twain, 1888

Who cares?

Are you bringing more popcorn or a talking pig?

I knew it had something to do with lots and lots of words that looked like they were being spoken very loudly but I didn't want to get popcorn butter on the mute button....

To heck with the law; what is the punishment if found guilty?

Maybe several hours strapped in a chair, listening to [-]ambulance chasing[/-] personal injury lawyer commercials...

Please, turn up the commercials! I need to drown out the noise! :facepalm:

Who cares?

Are you bringing more popcorn or a talking pig?

eatingpopcorn.gif

Has anyone produced a convincing taxonomy of all small rowable watercraft? Yes, kayaks feature prominently, but making a precise distinction between a kayak and a canoe with a tonneau cover --- where to begin?

It is about time some challenged those @$$h0les. There are some that really raise the volume to an irritating level.

I think it is a shame that we get assaulted by this tactic.

I suppose if some sound systems had an option to mute commercials by -10 db I would not care but they do not... at least mine does not.

I agree our govt has more pressing issues. But sometimes they have to step in to deal with entities that over step!

I think it is similar to the phone solicitation problem a few years back.

Every bill should have an expected cost associated with it. What is it going to cost to put this bill into effect and enforce it. We are going to pay for it. Is this how you want government to spend your money? Is this the most pressing need the country has? This is feel good legislation just before the election, pure and simple.

Having said that, I have no allusions that the cost the government would put on a bill would be any where close to accurate. Simple solution, if cost comes in x% more than predicted, the bill has to be re-passed.

Every bill should have an expected cost associated with it. What is it going to cost to put this bill into effect and enforce it. We are going to pay for it. Is this how you want government to spend your money? Is this the most pressing need the country has? This is feel good legislation just before the election, pure and simple.

Having said that, I have no allusions that the cost the government would put on a bill would be any where close to accurate. Simple solution, if cost comes in x% more than predicted, the bill has to be re-passed.

Campaign contributors love this kind of legislation. that is why we have private "speed cameras" Big costs to drivers small profits to government big profits to industry, handy campaign contribution to politicians.

Remember the air to air Tanker debacle? Costs were manipulated all over the place to satisfy campaign contributors.

You can't just do "government cost" you have to do "full social cost"

Which I assure you is not easy. Get ready for more screaming about DEATH PANELS

Let's look on the bright side. Sure, this is a minor, trivial issue in which no one has a life-or-death stake. That's precisely the kind of issue I want legislators working on--full time, if possible. It's when they try their hand at important stuff (health care, "helping" businesses, etc) that real damage gets done.

So, let's call for more Congressional work to properly proclaim National Bacon Day.

I say people who criticize President Obama for the hours he now dedicates to golf each week are definitely missing the big picture.

I'm curious about something (regarding the actual topic) - are we talking about over-the-air, public-air-wave broadcast commercials, or does this include cable TV commercials also?

-ERD50

Let's look on the bright side. Sure, this is a minor, trivial issue in which no one has a life-or-death stake. That's precisely the kind of issue I want legislators working on--full time, if possible. It's when they try their hand at important stuff (health care, "helping" businesses, etc) that real damage gets done.

So, let's call for more Congressional work to properly proclaim National Bacon Day.

I say people who criticize President Obama for the hours he now dedicates to golf each week are definitely missing the big picture.

How many plusses am I allowed to give in a single post? +
d245777abca64ece2d5d7ca0d19fddb6.png

I'm curious about something (regarding the actual topic) - are we talking about over-the-air, public-air-wave broadcast commercials, or does this include cable TV commercials also?

-ERD50

The Senate unanimously passed a bill late Wednesday to require television stations and cable companies to keep commercials at the same volume as the programs they interrupt.

My emphasis

Back
Top Bottom