Copy Paste YouTube Video Help

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Can someone instruct me on how to copy a video and paste so it appears in post with picture and click to start. I don't want it to appear in post as a link to click but the video to appear.

Thanks

We have a feature that will convert links to videos into embedded videos in the post. To embed a video in a post simply copy and paste the URL to the video from YouTube, Google Video, Yahoo Video or PhotoBucket. The rest will be done automatically.

You will normally want to use the link tool:

Attachments

• link.png
    link.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 13
If I copy it from Safari (web browser) rather than the YouTube app, I get the youtube.com version of the link that shows as embedded and plays in-line. The youtube.be version will not show as embedded.

If I copy it from Safari (web browser) rather than the YouTube app, I get the youtube.com version of the link that shows as embedded and plays in-line. The youtube.be version will not show as embedded.

OK, I want to test this. Sometimes (especially if I'm quoting someone), I don't want the video to show (it takes up too much space, or I want to post a large number of links), I just want to publish the link.

So here's one, a copy straight from the address bar:

And you are saying I can just change the url to from youtube.com to youtube.be?

https://www.youtube.be/watch?v=hSmnNrIqh5E

OK, that seems to work - it seems to redirect to the youtube.com anyhow, but I guess that doesn't matter.

-ERD50

I never did figure out how to do it.

So I quote another post here that has a YouTube video, then copy text and replace their YouTube file name with mine, edit the rest of the post text as needed and then post.

Can someone instruct me on how to copy a video and paste so it appears in post with picture and click to start. I don't want it to appear in post as a link to click but the video to appear.

Thanks

Copy the URL of the youtube video and simply drop the copied link into a post. Nothing else is needed.

We have a little plugin that renders the video in the post.

Note this will not work if the YT video is set with no share permissions but most are sharable.

And you are saying I can just change the url to from youtube.com to youtube.be?

https://www.youtube.be/watch?v=hSmnNrIqh5E

OK, that seems to work - it seems to redirect to the youtube.com anyhow, but I guess that doesn't matter.

-ERD50
No, I did not say that. I didn’t say you could simply edit the link.

I said if I copy the link from Safari I usually get a link to youtube.com, and that can be embedded.

Okay!!!! Thanks, with all that excellent help how can I go wrong. Right!! Lol Thanks again I do appreciate your time I will see what happens.

Okay!!!! Thanks, with all that excellent help how can I go wrong. Right!! Lol Thanks again I do appreciate your time I will see what happens.

I hope it's a good video, like "Granddaughter/Granddad Dance Party at the Street House"

Here is the step-by-step method:

1. Open a browser page to a YouTube video.
  2. Copy the URL from the address bar. It should look like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/something
  3. Go to the forum thread you want to use and create a new post.
  4. Click the link icon and paste the URL you just copied.
  5. Post it.

Here you go.

No, I did not say that. I didn’t say you could simply edit the link.

I said if I copy the link from Safari I usually get a link to youtube.com, and that can be embedded.
OK, but at least on my system, they always embed (shows the youtube thumbnail, just click to play). I copy/paste from the browser address bar, it's always a "youtube-dot-com" format link.

What I was looking for (and found) was a way to not have it embed, so it doesn't take up so much space in the post, I just want a link. So taking the "youtube-dot-com" link and editing it to "youtube-dot-be" worked for me.

I guess I'm confused when people are trying to get it to embed, and it doesn't? As our mods/admins have pointed out, it just does it automatically. For me, the trick was how to get it to not do it!

For those with problems, what is it you actually get? What are the steps you are taking?

-ERD50

Here you go.

LOL!!! I wasn't smart enough to make it work. Thanks Jerry1

I was going to post it in the washer and dryer thread. I never seen one of those in really life, but I did have one in the old ranch house property I bought. I overhauled that .5 HP gas engine, and it runs like a champion.

Thanks Sir. Lol

Last edited:
Here is the step-by-step method:

1. Open a browser page to a YouTube video.
  2. Copy the URL from the address bar. It should look like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/something
  3. Go to the forum thread you want to use and create a new post.
  4. Click the link icon and paste the URL you just copied.
  5. Post it.

And what happens if you copy and paste the URL from the YouTube "Share" button?

I tried this in a post recently and all I got was the link address with no preview.

^^^ When I copy from the address bar, I get the embedded picture-link like post #11 above. If you paste the YouTube "share" from the clipboard, you just get the link. IME

OK, but at least on my system, they always embed (shows the youtube thumbnail, just click to play). I copy/paste from the browser address bar, it's always a "youtube-dot-com" format link.

What I was looking for (and found) was a way to not have it embed, so it doesn't take up so much space in the post, I just want a link. So taking the "youtube-dot-com" link and editing it to "youtube-dot-be" worked for me.

I guess I'm confused when people are trying to get it to embed, and it doesn't? As our mods/admins have pointed out, it just does it automatically. For me, the trick was how to get it to not do it!

For those with problems, what is it you actually get? What are the steps you are taking?

-ERD50

And what happens if you copy and paste the URL from the YouTube "Share" button?

I tried this in a post recently and all I got was the link address with no preview.

From the YouTube app I always get the youtube.be link with a share, so I have to be careful to get a link that opens up in the browser and copy that if I want it to embed.

Often if I paste the link from the YouTube app into a new browser window it converts it.

Last edited:
There seems to be some confusion about URLs.

Youtube.com is the main one, and is globally registered. A number of years ago Google launched the shortened one, youtu.be (which is actually a Belgian country code domain). It was created to protect their main domain.

They will both take you to the same page.

They don’t both embed. youtu.be never has for me.

But you’re right, it’s youtu.be I’m getting from the YouTube app.

Last edited:
^^^ When I copy from the address bar, I get the embedded picture-link like post #11 above. If you paste the YouTube "share" from the clipboard, you just get the link. IME

Good to know. Thanks for confirming.

So I see this happening and not sure why..when I view post on my phone the little embedded picture shows up and I hit the play button and it takes me to Youtube and starts the video.
When I view same on my computer I am just seeing the links..:facepalm:
example:
I would share some YouTube videos with them. Can be much more interesting for some. The Money Guys are pretty entertaining. This video shows how important starting early can be.
https://youtu.be/nVl5i4heLi8
Here is the longer more detailed version of one of there videos.
https://youtu.be/qfMu8h_kz6g

I'll try again.
Our forum software will embed the video if you paste a youtube.com link.
The youtu.be links will just show as links.

But clicking either one will take you to the same video.

Clear enough?

So I see this happening and not sure why..when I view post on my phone the little embedded picture shows up and I hit the play button and it takes me to Youtube and starts the video.
example:

I would share some YouTube videos with them. Can be much more interesting for some. The Money Guys are pretty entertaining. This video shows how important starting early can be.
https://youtu.be/nVl5i4heLi8
https://youtu.be/qfMu8h_kz6g

Yep that is my issue to. I post it from computer and link just shows up.

Thanks everyone I will get it figured out.

example:
Neither of those videos appear as embedded because they are using the youtu.be link, not the youtube.com link.

Neither of those videos appear as embedded because they are using the youtu.be link, not the youtube.com link.
Oh I see now when posting from a phone using the share option in YouTube it pulls in as a YouTube.be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom