Costco Annual TurboTax Discounts

I'm curious about Deluxe vs Premier. We have used Premier for years because of DW's weird income stream as a quasi retired partner. She had self employment income including income from 10 states to report and had to file a return in California as well as DC. It was never clear whether we really needed Premier but went with it since that is what the TT site said.

This year circumstances have changed. DW has officially become a retired partner so this year her income stream remained the same but will be reported as retirement income on a 1099. Thus we are assuming no multistate BS and self employment taxes. But looking at the TT site description of products, they distinguish Premier as supporting automatic download of investment income. I like that feature but assumed it was available in Deluxe as well.

For those of you using Basic or Deluxe, can you import your brokerage data from Vanguard, et all? Any gotchas with moving down a level?

I have a rental property and the descriptions said premier had support for rentals so bought it one year, but found the deluxe has all you need for reporting them properly. Never had a problem.

However, if you purchase deluxe and find you need premier you can always upgrade from the TT app. I get a popup asking me to every year.

I wonder if any of the folks that don't worry about Roth conversions and IRMAA cliffs and such spend any time trying to save $10 on a copy of TT?

It is an annual rite. But you raise an interesting point. Maybe we need a forum just for "deals" we find that could expand to maybe more fruitful areas, such as appliances,.electronics, etc?

I'm curious about Deluxe vs Premier. We have used Premier for years because of DW's weird income stream as a quasi retired partner. She had self employment income including income from 10 states to report and had to file a return in California as well as DC. It was never clear whether we really needed Premier but went with it since that is what the TT site said.

This year circumstances have changed. DW has officially become a retired partner so this year her income stream remained the same but will be reported as retirement income on a 1099. Thus we are assuming no multistate BS and self employment taxes. But looking at the TT site description of products, they distinguish Premier as supporting automatic download of investment income. I like that feature but assumed it was available in Deluxe as well.

For those of you using Basic or Deluxe, can you import your brokerage data from Vanguard, et all? Any gotchas with moving down a level?
Deluxe supports full download of investment tax data from brokerages and supports a full schedule D. We downloaded Fidelity and Schwab info last year, and investment income forms were complete.

Intuit has a bad habit of downplaying the cheaper Deluxe version in their advertising.

Thanks for the timing heads-up! Just purchased the downloadable TT Premiere from Costco.

Deluxe supports full download of investment tax data from brokerages and supports a full schedule D. We downloaded Fidelity and Schwab info last year, and investment income forms were complete.

Intuit has a bad habit of downplaying the cheaper Deluxe version in their advertising.

+1 I bought Premier for years and tried Deluxe a few years ago and it totally meets my needs... including a couple Schedule Es.

Are you sure? I’ve been using Premier for a few years because the Intuit site states Deluxe does not handle Form D. See graphic below.

[Edit: Just read a TT blog entry that says Deluxe (and Basic!) have Form D but you have to fill it out manually. Premier includes Form D in the step-by-step instructions. I’d be OK handling Form D manually.]

Attachments

• BA04871F-E35D-4CCE-B722-96092A908171.jpg
    BA04871F-E35D-4CCE-B722-96092A908171.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Are you sure? I’ve been using Premier for a few years because the Intuit site states Deluxe does not handle Form D.

[Edit: Just read a TT blog entry that says Deluxe and Basic have Form D but you have to fill it out manually. Premier includes Form D in the step-by-step instructions. I’d be OK handling Form D manually]
Yes. Absolutely sure Deluxe handles full downloading of all info from brokerages into Schedule D.

The last two years we used TT Deluxe and it fully supported Schedule D. We downloaded complete 1099 information from both Fidelity and Schwab. Sometimes our Schedule D is long going on to additional pages. Deluxe handled all of it.

There may be restrictions on the online version of TT Deluxe, but not in the download or CD version. Whoever says you have to do it Schedule D manually in the CD version is incorrect. We have never had to enter stuff manually into Schedule D.

Thanks Audrey. I will try to remember to check in later to confirm that Deluxe continues to perform. I already have Premiere installed for 2020 but if DW’s firm actually reports as I expect we will switch next year as long as Deluxe can handle investment income. It’s irritating that TT obfuscates what the versions do.

Yes. Absolutely sure Deluxe handles full downloading of all info from brokerages into Schedule D.

The last two years we used TT Deluxe and it fully supported Schedule D. We downloaded complete 1099 information from both Fidelity and Schwab. Sometimes our Schedule D is long going on to additional pages. Deluxe handled all of it.

There may be restrictions on the online version of TT Deluxe, but not in the download or CD version. Whoever says you have to do it Schedule D manually in the CD version is incorrect. We have never had to enter stuff manually into Schedule D.
I guess I've been duped for a couple years :mad:. Instead of buying a Premier CD, I guess I'll buy a Deluxe download - as I'm told I can pay the difference and upgrade if necessary. Thanks.

Thanks for the Amazon gift card tip. They do make it a little harder to find.

I ordered a downloadable copy of Premier for $55 + the $10 gift card. That’s a good deal and I doubt it’ll get cheaper.

I ordered Premier to deal with ESPP shares. In the past, I tried TT competitors, but they didn’t handle ESPP nearly as well. TT makes it easy and is a bargain for the time it saves me.

I guess I've been duped for a couple years :mad:. Instead of buying a Premier CD, I guess I'll buy a Deluxe download - as I'm told I can pay the difference and upgrade if necessary. Thanks.

I did upgrade from Deluxe to Premier one year when I found I needed it. It was easy to do and no more expensive than the usual difference in their prices.

Agreed audreyh1. I'm sitting here looking at Sched D that I did with the 2019 CD Deluxe version. Downloaded the info direct from Schwab and in my case, had no additional manual entries to do. I sure hope they haven't changed anything in that regard. Although, as others have mentioned, you can upgrade to Premier on the fly if necessary.

I can't think of why their matrix shows Deluxe not handling Sched D.

Edit: I think I see the difference now. In Deluxe if you have to enter data manually you use the "forms" method and enter it directly. In Premier, they also provide the Q and A, so-called "Interview" process. In my case, all my Sched D data was in the Schwab download, so nothing to enter onto the form manually.

There is a terminology issue that tends to cloud over things. To me, "manual entry" means anything that isn't downloaded and auto-populated. Manual entries may be done one of two ways: directly into the form and through the so-called "Interview" process. I think Premier includes the Interview process for Sched D and Deluxe only the direct entry into the form process.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Actually, when you go to the Amazon site, there are a few options. One is just the program and another is with the $10 gift card. So, you have to be a bit careful.

Thanks for pointing that out. I get Home and Business, and when I went to Amazon I had to maneuver a bit to get the free $10 gift card. I always order the download since it's been awhile since any of my laptops came with an optical reader. I usually wait until much later, but as a wise man (pb4uski) said, it's probably not going to get any cheaper.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing that out. I get Home and Business, and when I went to Amazon I had to maneuver a bit to get the free $10 gift card. I always order the download since it's been awhile since any of my laptops came with an optical reader. I usually wait until much later, but as a wise man (pb4uski) said, it's probably not going to get any cheaper.
I got the $10 gift card too, thanks to the chatter here. Though I thought it was very odd Amazon insisted on sending me the card via snail mail when I bought a TTD download? I hope I didn’t agree to some fine print I didn’t see...

I was looking at this thread with interest (I, too, for some reason get pissed at paying an extra $10-20 for tax software. I don’t know why!), and lo & behold, when I opened up my Fidelity account, there in plain sight “Sign up for TurboTax Premium for free”, and indeed $70 discount applied to free Fed & State filing. First time ever!

What about K-1s, can you use deluxe?

Can you use deluxe if you have stock sales and MLPs that issue K-1s?

Costco sale on Turbo Tax

I missed the Costco sale last year and the price did go up after the sale ended.

From their marketing, it appears that download of 1099s is only available on premier and above. Can anyone verify this? I'm comfortable using deluxe, but need the 1099 download to make life much easier

Yes, I downgraded to Deluxe a number of years ago and have Schedule D... no problem. TT 2016 that I have on my current laptop is Deluxe.

From their marketing, it appears that download of 1099s is only available on premier and above. Can anyone verify this? I'm comfortable using deluxe, but need the 1099 download to make life much easier
Full downloading according to post #28 & #32 among others. And when I used Deluxe years ago it did downloads. All levels, even the Basic package does downloads according to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download

Last edited:

I download 1099s using Deluxe. No problem.

I do recall a few years ago when there marketing on this apparently began to reflect what you were saying. I remember thinking that was nasty of them to change it, but I bought Deluxe anyway, knowing I could upgrade in process if I needed to.

I have never needed to and I've always bought Deluxe

Back
Top Bottom