Costco or Sam's Club or Keep Both?

We have had both. Costco stores tend to be cleaner. Price difference is a toss up. Yes, Sam's has $1.50 hot dogs and comes with a drink. Sam's drink was larger than Costco's.

But Sam's Scan and Go is a deciding point. We scan items as we place them in the cart, and go to the door.

We have had both. Costco stores tend to be cleaner. Price difference is a toss up. Yes, Sam's has $1.50 hot dogs and comes with a drink. Sam's drink was larger than Costco's.

But Sam's Scan and Go is a deciding point. We scan items as we place them in the cart, and go to the door.

Two things.... hot dog is now $1.32.... but the drink has shrunk... still big but not as big as it was...

Also great there is the berry sundae.. forget the price but cheap...

I still have both, although Sam's is a bit closer for us. Prices are generally VERY close, and often both have same items on sale simultaneously at same price. I keep both for the free tire balance/rotations (2x/yr pays for membership). Tires for one car were literally $200 cheaper at Sam's and the minivan's tires were $125 cheaper at Costco (SAME EXACT tires for each vehicle both places).

Check out is typically a hot mess at local Costco. Few registers open, long lines, and sale items are often NOT recognized at register (more wasted time at "Customer Service"). Local Sam's does not have quite the foods selection, but checkout is a breeze. Will likely drop Costco when I trade the minivan.

Costco is more upscale than Sam's and targets the more affluent shoppers. Quality of merchandise might be a tad better; produce is a bit better than Sam's. Most people choose based on distance to location. We have been with Costco for over 35 years but still belong to Sam's.

Question for the Costco members: Did you get the Executive membership or the Gold Star?

I'm currently a Sam's Club member. It's closer to my house. I was a member at Costco years ago.

Question for the Costco members: Did you get the Executive membership or the Gold Star?

I'm currently a Sam's Club member. It's closer to my house. I was a member at Costco years ago.

Started out with basic. Once it became clear that our purchasing volume would be high enough we upgraded to the executive membership. The 2% rebate consistently pays for the whole membership then some.

Started out with basic. Once it became clear that our purchasing volume would be high enough we upgraded to the executive membership. The 2% rebate consistently pays for the whole membership then some.
That's something to consider. Thanks for the info.

I have memberships at both. I like Kirkland brands. They seem to be high quality. No one sells pure organic maple syrup cheaper. Same for their "Energy Shot" drink which I use daily before my workout and buy there in bulk. I also like their packaged cold cuts and the great prices in their imported cheese aisle. I got my last Dell laptop there at a steal. What I don't like is they don't have signs on their aisles. I'm sure it's because they want you to browse the whole store. And yea, the gas is like 10 cents/gal cheaper than most any other station around if you have the time to wait in the lines.

I go to Sam's less often. It's further away. But many times when I only need one or two items and don't feel like going to the store for just a small purchase, I like that they will deliver any non-perishable item for free, usually the next day. I went to BJ's once and was unimpressed.

Last edited:
We have Costco but DW not fond of Walmart so no Sam's Club.

+1
I also got the Costco Citi-Visa card and get rebates from both Costco and Visa that more than pays for the Executive Membership and gives me a couple of hundred dollars to spend.
One year in the distant past I didn't buy enough to pay for the Executive Membership but Costco still gave me enough to make up the difference. I don't see how you could lose if they still offer this. It makes it a free card either way.

Cheers!

We have both only because there is not a Costco near our cabin but they will build one within the next year. We prefer Costco and go there regularly when back in Louisiana. Our Rx's are typically cheaper at Costco than at the preferred pharmacy. Sometimes cheaper buying without using insurance at Costco. Rx's save enough each 90 days to pay for the membership .
We'll probably drop Samsclub when it expires.

Try both..see what is the best fit.

I've been a Sam's Club member for about a year. Joined Costco recently.

Only normal I guess to compare the two. Is there really much difference between the two? I guess depends?

Kinda like Coke vs Pepsi. Some folks will say Coke and Pepsi are pretty much interchangeable. But that may be a good way to start an argument.

From what I've seen, seems to me like there are more Costco stores around. But Sam's Club is cheaper especially if you order online instead of going in store. Plus, for Sam's Club I have the premium membership which gives free shipping. I don't see such option for Costco.

We joined Costco & 11 mos later asked for refund...they agreed. We just hadn't used it.

We have had Sam's but it isn't convenient & we really only went for a few items.

Tried Costco again...not even sure why. Now we go so often it was beneficial to up our membership to get the "rebate" check at the end of the year. We buy all our gas there (clearly more convenient!) & love their clothes for leisure & travel. Plus we have a large number of items we buy there now.

One nice thing about buying gas at Costco is you always get your printed receipt at the pump!

We get a printed receipt at the pump everywhere. Is that not the norm where you are?

No. I would say 90% of the time locally or on a road trip the pump fails to print a receipt and directs you to an inside cashier. This is not usually a problem with grocery store pumps.

I suspect the convenience store gas stations have an incentive to make people come inside.

No. I would say 90% of the time locally or on a road trip the pump fails to print a receipt and directs you to an inside cashier. This is not usually a problem with grocery store pumps.

I suspect the convenience store gas stations have an incentive to make people come inside.

When no receipts, I just jot down the total on a piece of paper or put in the amount on my phone to refer back later.

When no receipts, I just jot down the total on a piece of paper or put in the amount on my phone to refer back later.

We got in the habit of photographing the pump readout with our phones. Not going inside unless I have to show someone else the receipt.

I’m also never going back to one particularly convenient gas station. Last 2 times I stopped by the only available pump couldn’t read my credit card. Ridiculous!

If you buy a lot at Costco, the money back on Executive membership can possibly pay for the annual membership cost. If you buy a lot of things like tires, appliances, hearing aids, wine, USDA Prime beef, TV's, you might benefit from Exec.

Rental cars and other travel booked through Costco also apply to the Exec rebate.

If you buy a lot at Costco, the money back on Executive membership can possibly pay for the annual membership cost. If you buy a lot of things like tires, appliances, hearing aids, wine, USDA Prime beef, TV's, you might benefit from Exec.
I appreciate all these positive comments. It looks like getting the Executive membership is the way to go. I had a Costco membership back in the 90's. I bought a couple sets of tires there and had a great experience. I'm leaning towards getting another membership soon. Thanks again.

One nice thing about buying gas at Costco is you always get your printed receipt at the pump!

So, like, why does that matter?
I always pay with CC or similar and avoid getting a printed receipt...

Last edited:
So, like, why does that matter?
I always pay with CC or similar and avoid getting a printed receipt...

We always keep receipts and reconcile credit card statements. Sometimes the receipts are electronic.

I guess it’s a long standing pet peeve of mine. Less of an issue these days, I rarely buy gas as I have an EV. But I do occasionally rent a car.

Bias Response

I'm a GM for Costco and have worked for this incredible Company 34 years. If you want chips, green beans and the basics, we are about the same. With most other things it isn't even close. We are the second largest seller of cars in America because people trust us for pricing. Our travel has incredible deals and you will not find a cheaper rental car anywhere. Our fresh food (Meat, bakery & Deli are actually fresh. We don't sell discounted and green meat, pumpkin pie is made fresh and we sell the most in the world. Our pizza in the food court weighs twice as much as any competitor for $9.95. The Kirkland brand is top notch and does over 88 billion in sales. That alone is one of the largest companies in the world. Our top tier gas was rated the highest quality in America, Sam's was rated the worst. I could go on for days, but I'm sure people get the point. The last thing is a topped out cashier at Costco makes about 70k a year and the benefit package is worth another 30-40k. Sam's managers don't even make that. Hope this helps some.

I'm a GM for Costco and have worked for this incredible Company 34 years. If you want chips, green beans and the basics, we are about the same. With most other things it isn't even close. We are the second largest seller of cars in America because people trust us for pricing. Our travel has incredible deals and you will not find a cheaper rental car anywhere. Our fresh food (Meat, bakery & Deli are actually fresh. We don't sell discounted and green meat, pumpkin pie is made fresh and we sell the most in the world. Our pizza in the food court weighs twice as much as any competitor for $9.95. The Kirkland brand is top notch and does over 88 billion in sales. That alone is one of the largest companies in the world. Our top tier gas was rated the highest quality in America, Sam's was rated the worst. I could go on for days, but I'm sure people get the point. The last thing is a topped out cashier at Costco makes about 70k a year and the benefit package is worth another 30-40k. Sam's managers don't even make that. Hope this helps some.

Is it still a fixed markup?

And y'all need to bring back supreme pizzas, not just cheese or pepperoni!

Back
Top Bottom