Costco Annual TurboTax Discounts

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Starts tomorrow 12/26 in store and online. I wait for this and buy every year, I think the discounts came a little later years past but not sure?

Attachments

• 0BCD3A9B-F480-420D-9276-85468903CD1D.jpeg
    0BCD3A9B-F480-420D-9276-85468903CD1D.jpeg
    747.2 KB · Views: 111
Midpack, I was looking at TT a few days ago at Amazon, Costco, et al and the promotion that you refer to is no different from the price currently available online and available a week ago.... they all say $10 off.

I'll check tomorrow and see if it is really an additional $10, in which case I would jump on the total $20 discount if that is what it is.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 90
Thanks. I usually get it at Costco too. Although the ad says sale starts tomorrow, I noticed the sale price is live now thru 1/24/21. Looks like you can order online and they give you a downloadable copy.

Amazon usually has the same pricing. I started ordering the downloadable version from Amazon a few years ago. This is easier for me, since I don’t have a DVD drive anymore.

One year Amazon had a lower price on Deluxe if you ordered the disc. I always wondered what caused that. Oversupply?

I prefer the disc version because we are a “bilingual” household (Windows and Mac), so I like the flexibility of being able to install on either platform (or both, and double checking that the math comes out the same on both).

Midpack, I was looking at TT a few days ago at Amazon, Costco, et al and the promotion that you refer to is no different from the price currently available online and available a week ago.... they all say $10 off.

I'll check tomorrow and see if it is really an additional $10, in which case I would jump on the total $20 discount if that is what it is.
I looked a week or two back and TT Premier CD (what I use) was still $69.99 at Costco, lists at $89.99, though hopefully no one pays $89.99. As you say, I see you can buy TTP from Costco for $54.99 today (arguably $35 off), earlier than the flyer said. Here’s what I get right now at Amazon (still $69.99?) and Costco. I was posting only to alert Costco members who may look for this annual discount like I do FYI.

Attachments

• DF493188-BF1F-4D36-B3D2-E1F8E207AEC2.jpg
    DF493188-BF1F-4D36-B3D2-E1F8E207AEC2.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 43
  • B61D92B9-5D98-4967-9D0E-FE4BEA4242A9.jpeg
    B61D92B9-5D98-4967-9D0E-FE4BEA4242A9.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I wonder if any of the folks that don't worry about Roth conversions and IRMAA cliffs and such spend any time trying to save $10 on a copy of TT?

I got it this year, earliest ever. But was not very usable. Some sections said, "still in progress, check back later".

So, ended up using my spreadsheet and taxcaster for YETP. Oh well.

Well Amazon did lower the price. The digital download of TurboTax Deluxe with state s the same price as Costco at $39.99, but also includes a bonus $10 Amazon gift card. The sale is listed as today only.

Well Amazon did lower the price. The digital download of TurboTax Deluxe with state s the same price as Costco at $39.99, but also includes a bonus $10 Amazon gift card. The sale is listed as today only.

I suspect in the New Year Amazon will price match Costco on Deluxe. We always ended up getting TT from Amazon when Fidelity didn’t provide Premier for free.

I wonder if any of the folks that don't worry about Roth conversions and IRMAA cliffs and such spend any time trying to save $10 on a copy of TT?
It’s just a strong habit. We always kept an eye out for the best price. We usually didn’t try to buy it earlier than Feb - by then the deals were clear and Amazon would be cheapest or match the cheapest.

Not to indicate we don’t pay attention to IRMAAs nor review Roth conversion options.

But that $10 is definitely a drop in the bucket these days. Heck BofA just gave me $10 for downloading their app (already had it - so just updated it) and depositing a check through it (which I had done before).

Last edited:
I got it this year, earliest ever. But was not very usable. Some sections said, "still in progress, check back later".

So, ended up using my spreadsheet and taxcaster for YETP. Oh well.
I noticed that last year, and it was even later than this year (now) IIRC. It kept warning me not to file and some forms weren’t available at all until quite a bit later.

And Amazon has come down another $15.09 today, now matching Costco. See higher price yesterday post #11 above. This is the lowest price for TTP annually IME.

Attachments

• 7883B6F1-53A4-46AD-8A21-B2EFB1A8A540.jpeg
    7883B6F1-53A4-46AD-8A21-B2EFB1A8A540.jpeg
    434.1 KB · Views: 29

This year I finally gave up on waiting for the end of Dec prices and bought for an extra $10 on Amazon. Had the disk shipped. Although as mentioned I didn't get much of a jump, got the still waiting on IRS for forms noted above. This morning I was doing some work and tried again. Found that the 12/23 update had the forms to enter my 1099-R from DFAS. Again, not sure I got much of a jump on things. I knew these numbers already :facepalm:
Enough of the Christmas joy and all, time to start taxes

I'm curious about Deluxe vs Premier. We have used Premier for years because of DW's weird income stream as a quasi retired partner. She had self employment income including income from 10 states to report and had to file a return in California as well as DC. It was never clear whether we really needed Premier but went with it since that is what the TT site said.

This year circumstances have changed. DW has officially become a retired partner so this year her income stream remained the same but will be reported as retirement income on a 1099. Thus we are assuming no multistate BS and self employment taxes. But looking at the TT site description of products, they distinguish Premier as supporting automatic download of investment income. I like that feature but assumed it was available in Deluxe as well.

For those of you using Basic or Deluxe, can you import your brokerage data from Vanguard, et all? Any gotchas with moving down a level?

Thanks for the heads up. Actually, when you go to the Amazon site, there are a few options. One is just the program and another is with the $10 gift card. So, you have to be a bit careful. You can also get the disk. So, that’s what I did. Very happy with that. Got TT Deluxe w/State on a disk for $29 plus a gift card for $10. Total at check out was $39 plus tax.

Note: I was going to do the download thing this year, but since the disk was available for the same price and I’m in no hurry, I just went ahead and got the disk. They send a physical gift card so I wouldn’t have saved them a trip either.

Off topic, but I’m going to try to better this year about grouping my purchases so it don’t cause as many trips to my house and don’t have to deal with so many Amazon boxes.

+1 Thanks for the heads up. I don't think Deluxe download with state will get much better than $29.99, so I bought it.

+1 Thanks for the heads up. I don't think Deluxe download with state will get much better than $29.99, so I bought it.

That exactly how I see it. No need to wait any longer.

Off topic, but I’m going to try to better this year about grouping my purchases so it don’t cause as many trips to my house and don’t have to deal with so many Amazon boxes.
I tried doing that, with limited success. I'd specify to receive multiple orders on my Amazon day, and sometimes got one of the orders a day early. Or I'd place an order for 2 product in the same order with regular Prime shipping, and they didn't come on the same day. Both shipped UPS so it wasn't that they shipped one SmartPost and not the other.

I suppose most of the time it worked and I didn't note it, but I think there were more than these two instances.

Back
Top Bottom