Credit/debit card skimmers

It does make one wonder.

It should be standard procedure to check ATMs outside a bank or credit union at least a couple of times a day, and certainly first thing in the morning. But I suspect many branches haven't caught on to the new reality yet.

My last trip to Europe, a couple of ATMs printed receipts which said processed by chip when I used my Schwab debit card.

And these were old-looking ATMs too.

There was some kind of motorized mechanism, which pulled the card in and pushed it out when done.

There were no signs or logos indicating that it read EMV cards but I guess chipped debit/ATM cards would likely be more common in Europe than in the US.

My main credit union debit card also has a chip but not sure the credit union itself has chip reading ATMs. But I'm more likely to use third-party ATMs anyways.

I think Chase and Citi are deploying chip ATMs.

I hope they support Apple Pay too at some point.

Surely you can understand why? Anyone could call them and say that they didnt get the gas that was pumped using their credit card. Your card was scanned and gas did get pumped. I believe you, as you have no reason to make this up, but it would sound pretty suspicious in general.

I do understand that. However, wouldn't a check of our profile to see if we are the kind of people who dispute charges show that we aren't? We've had one dispute in the past 15 years with the company in dispute admitting they charged our card incorrectly and, again, we have always paid our bill in full, never late. The guy at the CC company even said that and still. . .

I am still quite confused about debit vs. credit, when to sign, when to use my debit card PIN, etc. Sad to say I just never bothered to investigate and learn the differences/advantages.

Is there a website that explains the differences and advantages?

The local gas stations require me to use my zip code to authenticate purchases....is my zip code included in the magnetic strip data?

I just received a Visa prepaid debit card (product rebate) and I when I called to activate the card, I had to select a PIN (so obviously not part of the info recorded on the card?). Is the PIN included in the magnetic strip on my debit card?

It seems like there are many ways to cut down on fraud but the industry doesn't really care as long as the losses are low enough to spread the cost around to all users without it being noticeable. When BofA started putting photos on their cards, I thought surely this will spread to all cards but it doesn't seem to be popular at all.

I think that zip code authorization and debit card PINs are transmitted to the bank, and are not stored on the magnetic strip.

CHIP & PIN cards have the PIN encoded in the chip I believe and in places like the UK you can go to certain ATMs to change the CHIP to one of your choice. The initial PIN is generated by computer and not recoverable or able to be reset via a phone call.

I'm thinking cupidity is the greatest way to get your card info compromised.
I1DNUQG.jpg

I'm thinking cupidity is the greatest way to get your card info compromised.
I1DNUQG.jpg

I thought it was spelled "stupidity."

I have to admit, ever since HFWR posted this thread I've been jiggling every POS where I use my card. No suspicious looseness yet.

I thought it was spelled "stupidity."....

Thanks - just checked and I totally misused the word cupidity. Credulity would have been a better choice - stupidity on my part!

I thought it was spelled "stupidity."....

Thanks - just checked and I totally misused the word cupidity. Credulity would have been a better choice - stupidity on my part!

Back
Top Bottom