Daytona 500

NameTaken2

Recycles dryer sheets
Decided to watch the Daytona 500 today, after not watching NASCAR for many years.
The 3 race stages and "overtime" were new to me.
Assumed the 2 lap OT rule allows racing to the checkers -surprised not the case for 2nd OT lap cautions (NASCAR determines car placement when the yellow flag drops, and declares a winner).
Very disappointed in that.
The camera work has come a long way, and the broadcast team was good.
Stage 1 was mostly boring follow the leader "racing".
Stage 2 got more interesting, with good discussion of racing strategy.
Then came Stage 3 and OT, where strategy other than "WIN" went out the window and chaos ensued with the race becoming a ridiculous multi-accident Demo Derby.

I'd prefer racing/rules that allow strategy and talent to normally trump luck to win the Daytona 500. The cars at 190MPH are too unstable -the lightest fender tap results in spin-outs and huge multi-car crashes taking out much of the field. You don't see that in Formula 1, for example.
Also prefer an overtime that requires racing to the checkers. Assume the reason for the "2nd lap declared winner rule" is that crashes by drivers desperate to win Daytona and restarts would continue until only 2 cars left.
The race was sold out -NASCAR still has its fans which is great.
As long as "that's racing" the NASCAR way, don't think I'll spend another long Sunday afternoon watching any time soon!

The big problem is that they have plates limiting their HP.... so a group of cars can run MUCH faster than a single car... so they bunch up all the time...

This leads to pushing which leads to crashes...

As for OT, if the yellow comes on the first lap they do it again and again... once the white flag is flown the next flag wins the race, either yellow or checkered....

I do watch but after I record it so I can fast forward through a LOT of the race... I am not as impressed with the format they have now...

Back
Top Bottom