Diners, Roadhouses, Joints and Dives

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Restaurant/diner/cafe/roadhouse/joint/dive in your area or your travels you would like to recommend

San Francisco = Reds Java House - Sitting out on the dock of the bay with a Double dog and a couple Buds :)

img_400638_0_bda6eb662f2d3a80ba9f52b48373e13e.jpg

Re: Restaurant Tips

ITM,
thanks, I live a couple of blocks away and will give it a try today, if it's open on Sundays.

Try Dave's on 3rd just south of Market. It's a bar that serves Chili Cheese Dogs that are delicious. Plus you can watch sports. It's a small dive but it's cool.

Lu Lu’s in New Hope, PA for Sunday breakfast. Arrive on your motorcycle. Food is ok, coffee bad, but the ambiance is worthwhile.

Attachments

• DCP_1544B.JPG
    DCP_1544B.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 184
  • DCP_1544B.JPG_thumb
    34 KB · Views: 0

Ted's Hot Dogs in the Buffalo, NY area. Yum.

I don't live there, but my family is from that area and I always make time to stop at Ted's.

Jack's Cosmic Dog in Mt Pleasant, South Carolina. Great dogs, and the best fries & vanilla malts this side of the 50s :-* Fab ambiance--playful 40s/50s diner.

ITM,
Just got back from Red's Java House. Man that was good. Double dog and single Bud. Sat sort of half on the dock and half in that little bar area at the rear. Watched some Giants action.

Dog was 2 Vienna Beef on kinda a seeded sandwich bun, mustard, oinions and pickle and with beer $5.50. Waitress threw in a little white paper cup of fries. Fries were good, had some skin left on em.

But what ambiance and character. What a dive. Great place.

OAP,
Aren't you supposed to being watching your heart or abs or something? ;)

LL

OAP - happy to hear you like Reds- loads of waterfront history - one of those SF places where all strata of society can hang out - too rare now a days - you can drop a line too - wish I was there - I'd set you up again ;)

ITM,
man, all strata is correct, I'm pretty street saavy and those were my kinda people in there. I sat with a couple of old bikers from Oxnard. They looked mellow in their old age but I bet they were he!! raisers in their day.

Waitress had a bandana and looked 19 going on 50. She looked like she had seen a lot of life in just 19 years.

Yeah, that place beats a quiche and brie joint any day.

The Maid-Rite Restaurant in Greenville, Ohio. They take loose-meat hamburger and steam it with mustard and onions. Think they now sell for $1.29 and taste great. They also have a drive-up and a 40+year tradition has been to stick your gum on the brick wall you drive by before you pick up your order. Back in the day, it was said they had to get putty knives and scrape the gum off every couple of months cause it got so thick.

There is nothing worse than a Waffle House.

I frequent the one closest to my house, on the way to work. Eggs and toast mostly, occasionally a waffle.

DW asks me why I go to that greasy, greasy spoon. The real reason is that the waitresses call me Baby.

Bohemian Hall, in Astoria, Queens, NY. The last old beer garden in NYC, takes up about 1/4 of a city block!!!. Was a Czech and Slovak social club (private) for many years, but in the 90s opened to the public. Just like being in Europe (aside from the occasional afro-cuban funk band gig). http://www.bohemianhall.com/

Haven't been to some of these places in years so I hope they're still there.

For ribs - Chaney's BBQ on Olive in St. Louis
All other BBQ - Kreuz's or Black's in Lockhart TX (The Barbecue Capital of the World)
Po-boys - Uglesich's on Baronne in New Orleans (Please, let it still be there)
Fried Catfish - Spahr's in Des Allemands LA (I know it's still there)
Most laid back - Blue Heaven in Key West (Bahama Village)
Dumplings, beer and kraut - Bohemian Cafe in Omaha
Tex-Mex - Emilia's in Brownsville or The Little Diner in Canutillo
Hot dogs and onion rings at 4 AM - The Varsity across from Ga Tech in Atlanta
Old style mafia Italian - Luna on Mulberry in Little Italy NYC

Bars:
The Roll 'N on San Felipe in Houston - Dive with a very eclectic crowd. Official Motto: "If you can't remember, it didn't happen." Built right next to the train tracks so the building shakes when one goes past, but that's when they have discounted "train shots"!

The Hogs and Heffers on Washington in NYC (Meat Packing District). Official Motto: "If you love this country, you'll love this bar."

We hit Ugglesich's about 3 years ago. Fabulous food, total dive. I'd love to hear it is still there.

OAP - since you are in The City right now and I've got SF on my mind - there's a Hong Kong style place - BM Mei Sing - how's that for a fun name :LOL: on 2nd street between Market & Mission that serves up good cheap pan fried noodle and rice dishes - order off the wall menu get a number and they'll bring it to you - lots of asians eat there, a good sign no? gets really crowded at lunch - used to have a sign - "Only one person to a seat" :D

Since you walks a bit think about stopping in for lunch at Tommy's Joint at Geary & Van Ness- comfort food and a huge International beer selection - a hofbra carved meats - buffalo, etc.

Cheers!

tommys-joynt-12.jpg

Did NOLA's Acme Oyster Bar survive Katrina?

Heinkel's in Annapolis Junction near Ft. Meade. (The building used to be the AJ train station.) Their deli sandwiches were the size of a small dinner plate.

Riordan's in Annapolis, although I've heard persistent rumors that they've gone yuppie. I'll have to do some due diligence.

Do any Annapolis/DC veterans know if the Weems Creek Tavern is still unindicted open? Eh, it's probably safe to check on them in person now too.

Ardfyllane's in Dunoon, Scotland. We ordered fresh trout and saw a guy carrying a fishing pole down to the loch, so I switched to mutton. I couldn't tell whether it was fresh or "aged".

The Fishwife at Asilomar and the Tinnery in Pacific Grove, CA. Will's Fargo out in Carmel Valley.

Thai Kitchen in Waipahu. La Mariana Sailing Club on Keehi Lagoon. Bravo's in Aiea. Kua `Aina in Haleiwa or their "downtown" satellite, although the latter lacks the same atmosphere. Wailana Coffee House in Waikiki. Buzz's Steakhouse in Waimalu.

I regret to inform loyal bikers patrons that the Sugar Bar in Waialua has closed its doors.

ITM,
BM Mei Sing is a great big place and it's funny to see the cooks all sitting outside on the side street having a smoke break.  About 15 cooks all squatted along the sidewalk.  I'll check it for lunch tomorrow, but it is always packed being in that area.  My Chinese friend said all the Chinese eat on the West side of Nob Hill.

And Tommy's has the very colorful outside with The Original Tommy's.  I pass by every day.  I'll give it try on Tuesday.  I think there is one of the Mel's Diner joints just across the street.  Tommy on West of Van Ness and Mel on East of Van Ness.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll post results on my blog.

EDIT: ITM do you remember an oyster joint up on Polk St just past California (sorta west Nob Hill). There is always a huge line.

Nords said:
Do any Annapolis/DC veterans know if the Weems Creek Tavern is still unindicted open? Eh, it's probably safe to check on them in person now too.

Never made it there (so many dives, so little time) but that reminds me that I forgot Stan's in D.C. It's a few blocks north of the White House near the Washington Post bldg. Went there to celebrate after an awards ceremony one night. The guy leading us was named, aptly enough, Stan, and on the way he warned me "Look, don't drink more than two drinks here." My smartass reply was "Okay, Dad." He laughed and we walked on.

Like most good dives, Stan's is small and we were cheek to jowl trying to order drinks at the bar. I ordered my usual Vodka and tonic and when it came I was given two large tumblers of clear liquid and ice. Confused, I asked the barmaid which was mine and she said "both". No, it wasn't happy hour - one glass was vodka and the other was tonic!

On the second round she brought me another water tumbler full of vodka and a small bottle of tonic (running low on glasses, don't ya know.) The third round brought just the vodka and neither she nor I even mentioned tonic.

The rest of the night and the wee hours of the next morning were hazy and we'll just leave it there. 0600 flight home and I just threw the gun in the checked baggage rather than take a chance of breathing on anyone while handing them my "LEO travelling armed" paperwork.

OAP - Swan Oyster Depot - the best seafood joint in Bay Area - way better than anything at Fishermans Wharf

Careful you don't find yourself in Mitchell Bros o'Farrell Theater - you may lose your joint and fall into the abyss

Edit: For North Beach's best bar crawl - Savoy Tivoli, Lost & Found Saloon, The Saloon, Tosca's, Specs, Vesuvio's - interspersed with food stops at The Nanking & Brandy Ho's

OK, let's get serious.  Most on here have travelled quite a bit.

Best overall (don't even try to top it) = Mama Dips, Chapel Hill, NC
Best Barbeque Ribs = Mr. Jims Beef, Los Angeles (you need no teef to eat his beef)
Best Hot Dog = Hot Diggity Dog, Chicago, IL
Best Burger = Fatburger, Orange Ave, Pasadena, CA
Best Chopped BBQ = Lexington BBQ, Lexington, NC (serve 3 tons per week)
Best Oysters = Pelican Landing, Cocoa Bch, FL
Best Shrimp = Bennet's Calabash Seafood, Calabash, SC
Best Chicken = Aunt Kizzie's Back Porch, Marina Del Rey, CA
Best Pizza = Pizza Show, Hawthorne Blvd, Los Angeles (2 Boston brothers)
Best Catfish = Catfish Place, St. Cloud Fl on Hiway 192
Best Calamari = Eastside Fish and Chips, Alice Spings, Aus (Thai cook)
Best Moreton Bay Bugs = Bugs Seafood Diner, Contarf, Aus
Best Pad Thai = Street vendors on Yarowat Rd, Bangkok
Best Pork Sandwich = Bayhorse Inn, Burn Bridge, Yorkshire, England
Best Onion Rings = Jerry's , Torrance Blvd, Los Angeles (served in brown paper bag)
Best Fish and Chips = Bizzy Lizzy's,  Skipton, N. Yorks, England
Best Marianted Chicken Feet = Kam Lok Rest., Nathan Rd. , Hong Kong
Best Italian Beef = Portillo's, Ontario St. Chicago, Il
Best Corned Beef = Ashkanaz Deli, Oak St. Chicago, IL
Best Reuben = Somewhere in NYC near 50th and ?
Best Spaghetti = little shop in corner at Trevi Fountain in Rome. Opposite church.
Best Balti = The Balti House, two blocks down Gray Chapel, from Kings Cross, Lon
Best Dim Sum = You's Dim Sum, Stockton St., San Francisco.
Best Vietnamese = Two block up from Ecole Militare, and Champs de Mars.  
Best Prime Rib = Bully's, La Jolla, CA (you will never find better, never!)
Best Big Cheeseburer = Green Flash, Pacific Beach, CA
Best Cheesesteak = Grunnions, Sepulveda, Los Angeles
Best Bouillabaisse = St. George Hotel, DC
Best Chili Crab = Phoenix Rest., London near Baker St museum of some detective
Best Tea = Betty's , Parliament St. Harrogate, England
Best Bratwurst = Viktulian Markt, Munich, Germany
Best Beer = Killian Red on draft at the Rat and Parrot
Best Reindeer = Gondolen, Stockholm
Best Grilled Cheese = Charbroiler Grill, Melbourne, FL
Best Chinese Buffet = China Inn, McPherson Church Rd., Fayetteville, NC
Best Breakfast = Bob's Diner, Polk St. San Francisco (old time waitress)
Best Deli = Moishe's Pippic, San Francisco

These are all places I've eaten and would recommend to anyone.

ITM,
exactly right now that you've jogged my memory. Swan. Man I love oysters but it looks like an hour wait. But just up California, there is another oyster bar and I see a good crowd there also.

Thanks for the insight into SF.

I got thru the tenderloin and the Mitchell Bros and those joints down on Market are tempting. But the crowd out on the street around those areas is interesting. Man I love SF. Lots of variety. Nothing like a city which has several tranny shops.

North Beach is on my expedition list. I've been down a few times but right now I'm mostly, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Tenderloin, Chinatown, Haight, Financial, and SOMA.

In my year here, I hope to know the city well.

Man, how could I have forgotten Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken on Front street in Memphis. It's got just enough tobasco to give it a good kick.

larry,
can you get my a 20 pc meal and ship via UPS, that chicken sounds like some good eating. Ummm , spicy chicken. Memphis style.

Back
Top Bottom