Do you cook? What’d you cook today?

Today I made a veggie bean soup for lunch with melted Swiss cheese and avocado on top. Dinner was steamed shrimp and assorted veggies over rice. We were hiking in the afternoon and got home late. We had the rice already made so I put shrimp in a steamer stack pan and asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes and yellow peppers stacked on top and it steamed while we had a beer on the patio.

We went out for Mexican food last night.

Last edited:
12# of beef brisket, off the smoker. We just picked up our side of beef on Saturday, and had found the brisket in the back of the freezer hiding. I made 4 3# slabs, tweaking each with different marinades/rubs then smoking of some hickory and apple from spring's pruning. The crew and I actually could not tell any differences between the 4, but were all scrumptious.

OK........I've attached two photos of recent bibimbap dishes we prepared. Both of them have an assortment of veggies from our garden........usually carrots, onion, kale or chard, red bell pepper, fresh sprouts, and mushrooms (we use oyster mushrooms that we pick wild). And if we have other veggies available (cucumbers, etc), we add those too, along with garlic and ginger. The meat in one of the photos is pork, I believe, and the other one is ribeye. And we add a farm egg to top it off. The egg is raw at first, but the stone bowls are hot, so when you mix up the ingredients at the table, the egg drops down onto the hot bowl and cooks quickly. Oh, and at the bottom of the bowl is sushi rice, which gets a little crispy when you heat the bowls up on top of the stove. If you like, you can add bibimbap sauce, which is made with gochugang (you can buy gochugang, but we usually make our own). Everyone in our family loves bibimbap.........great stuff!

Looks wonderful- will have to try this soon!

I’d been wanting to eat some red beans and rice for some reason and it’s something that I have to cook if I want to eat it, saw some nice smoked pork necks today so I knew what I had to do. Came home and threw everything in the crockpot and it’s just barely finishing up now but I had to try it. Not exactly what my craving wanted but I think another hour or so and it’ll be pretty good

auptk.jpg

Today I cooked crab macaroni & cheese .My So fell in love with lobster mac & cheese which I have made several times but now he is into crab mac & cheese .Pretty Tasty !

Yesterday I cooked a shrimp and corn soup and another andouille and corn soup. Not your regular soups since they start with a roux. Always better the next day!

Today
Breakfast: Soft scrambled eggs w fried potatoes, onions, peppers on tortilla chips with Frontera salsa, coffee
Dinner: One Pot Thai Soup & Naan, Chocolate Angel Food cake for dessert (we're not eating together tonight, so soup she can nuke when she gets home)

Friday
Breakfast: Steel cut oats w peaches & strawberries, coffee
Dinner: Chilaquiles, Guac & Chips, Margaritas

I make breakfast and dinner Mon thru Fri because she's still working while I'm retired, but she can cook too.

Last edited:
Won’t be cooking for a while now, got enough beans for a few days and getting away for the weekend

Breakfast: a nice omelette with 2 eggs, spinach, mushrooms, onions, bacon and cheese.

For later in the week my lower-sugar/higher-fiber version of chocolate chip cookies. Yummy.

Tonight it is a chicken stew made with chicken, sweet potatoes, carrots, a bit of dried fruit and various spices.

When I eat out it is because making my own meal is not practical, or I am eating something that is not practical for me to make at home.

Oh, we ought to re-energize the recipe topic.

Last edited:
We do mostly grilled meat,fish and salads. Soups and some pasta in the colder weather.

We eat out for Thai, Vietnamese, etc. Things that we never eat at home.

tonight is baked beans--currently cooking in the crock pot, after soaking during the night.

Like seeing the Big Green Eggs mentioned a couple of times already. Have some chicken spiedies marinading in the fridge for tonight or tomorrow nights dinner.

Like seeing the Big Green Eggs mentioned a couple of times already. Have some chicken spiedies marinading in the fridge for tonight or tomorrow nights dinner.

Spiedies? You’re speaking my hometown language!

Tonight will be a new twist on an old family meal. A one dish delight. Chicken baked on a bed on stove top stuffing with canned corn on top. Tonight I'm adding a little mole sauce to the chicken.

A friend grows Fava Beans, and gave us some. I boiled them up and marinated them in olive oil, balsalmic vinegar, a little red onion and garlic salt and pepper. Yummo! Great as a side, on salad, or just eat out of the jar with a spoon.

OK........I've attached two photos of recent bibimbap dishes we prepared. Both of them have an assortment of veggies from our garden........usually carrots, onion, kale or chard, red bell pepper, fresh sprouts, and mushrooms (we use oyster mushrooms that we pick wild). And if we have other veggies available (cucumbers, etc), we add those too, along with garlic and ginger. The meat in one of the photos is pork, I believe, and the other one is ribeye. And we add a farm egg to top it off. The egg is raw at first, but the stone bowls are hot, so when you mix up the ingredients at the table, the egg drops down onto the hot bowl and cooks quickly. Oh, and at the bottom of the bowl is sushi rice, which gets a little crispy when you heat the bowls up on top of the stove. If you like, you can add bibimbap sauce, which is made with gochugang (you can buy gochugang, but we usually make our own). Everyone in our family loves bibimbap.........great stuff!
So if you are a mushroom hunter, do you ever find and harvest boletus? We occasionally get dishes with them in Europe and the flavor is incredible! Saw fresh whole boletus in the markets there. Only see dried (porcini) in the US.

Last edited:
For lunch, grilled cheese with cheddar, mayo, and home sprouted mung beans. The mung sprouts held up to the heat. I was a little hesitant to try sprouting them, because web instruction all say home mung sprouts are much more spindly than store bought. That seems to be true, but they still are more substantial than most sprouts and held up to heat and taste much much better than store bought. It will be hard not to have this for dinner too!

Veggies with a sour cream dip with some Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. Then some grilled filet ends seasoned with some coffee dust, sauteed veggie blend with herb olive oil, washed down with some 2014 Petite Syrah.

Shrimp and Grits. With some mixed veggies on the side.

heh heh heh - :cool:

DH did all the grilling while he was alive. I like to think I'm not bound by gender stereotypes (I was, after all, the Chief Investment Officer in the marriage), but I never touched the grill except to turn or baste what was cooking on occasion. We had an easy-to-use propane grill but I was always worried something would blow up. After DH died I didn't touch it for almost 6 months, then had a friend walk me through it step-by-step (and reassure me that an explosion was EXTREMELY unlikely). It still took me months to venture out and use it. That was until last week. Wow. It's really not that hard!

I don't eat a lot of meat but I LOVE vegetables and stuck a few on skewers and added a simple marinade of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Fantastic. I think I've used the grill 5 out of the last 7 days. Bonus: it keeps the heat from cooking out of the kitchen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom