Quiet Vehicles

The CT6 is full size. Weighs around 4000LB same as my 2014 CTS did. Handles like a smaller car with rear wheels steered as well. 2020 was last year made in US. Now they are only made and sold in China.

The CT6 is full size. Weighs around 4000LB same as my 2014 CTS did. Handles like a smaller car with rear wheels steered as well. 2020 was last year made in US. Now they are only made and sold in China.

Got it. Yeah, I was looking at the XT5 and I thought you were referring to the XT6 - from their SUV line up. Hopefully the SUV's are as quiet as the sedans. At least reasonably close.

I looked into this a little last year as my 4Runner is pretty loud on the highway and I was considering an alternative. The Kia Telluride kept coming up as one of the quietest mid-sized suv's on the market and one of the most highly rated overall. I haven't test driven one though so I have no first-hand knowledge.

For something in the same size range as the Equinox, I would recommend a Volvo XC60. Extremely quiet IMHO, but about as far from GM as you can get. :LOL:
My wife and I had a Volvo 850 in about 2000. Have never quite gotten Volvos out of my system.

Jerry ... my quick read says Equinox is produced in Canada, Mexico, and China.

Jerry ... my quick read says Equinox is produced in Canada, Mexico, and China.

I think mine was made in Canada. Not sure what that has to do with quietness, but I assume you’re commenting on my statement about being a GM family. That’s because my father in law (rip) worked at GM and we always got (still get) the GM employee discount. Plus, out of respect for FIL, I’d have never bought anything other than a GM product. Thankfully, I genuinely like GM products. I loved my Grand National. I really like the many LaCrosses I’ve leased. I like my GMC Denali pick up a lot. I understand they’re not the highest ranked in many categories, but I like them, I’ve got them at a good price and I’ve not experienced much in terms of reliability issues. It does not have to do with “Made in America”. I’m not positive, but I think there are Toyotas and Hondas that are more American than many of the “American” auto maker’s products.

At this point in my life, I’d consider buying a non-GM car, but I will check them out in the process. If the Buick Envision (same size as the Equinox) was actually made like a Buick (no matter where it was assembled), I’d probably go straight to that. One of the best SUV’s I ever owned was the Buick Rainier. Solid, comfortable, smooth and very quiet. However, the Envision, from what my friend told me, was not up to the Buick standard I’d come to know.

Got it. Yeah, I was looking at the XT5 and I thought you were referring to the XT6 - from their SUV line up. Hopefully the SUV's are as quiet as the sedans. At least reasonably close.

My '21 XT5 is fairly quiet. Can't say if it is as quiet as the sedans as I didn't test drive any of those.

Update

I probably should have posted this in the Blow That Dough (BTD) thread, but I thought I'd update this thread. Today I did BTD and bought a Cadillac XT5. We pick it up tomorrow. We took it for a test drive and it was very nice. At least as nice as the Buicks I've driven in the past. I'm excited to pick it up and take a road trip. Unfortunately, me and DW are officially getting old. I can't just take off because me and DW have doctors appointments coming up. Oh well, as soon as we can blow this joint, we're gonna put some miles on it. I see a road trip in our future - a quiet one. :D

ETA

I'll post an actual picture of it once I get it home but this is what it looks like.

33319-albums249-picture2761.jpg

Last edited:
I think the XT5 comes with either 4 or 6 cyl. I would expect the 6 might be quieter, esp when accelerating.

I think the XT5 comes with either 4 or 6 cyl. I would expect the 6 might be quieter, esp when accelerating.

Not sure if the 6 cyl is quieter but I did get one with the 6 cyl. Probably has more to do with being an old timer. I would have got the 8 cyl if available. Right or wrong, I just think the car manufacturers expect too much out of the small engines. The way me and DW drive, that 6 cyl won’t ever have to work too hard.

We had a 4cyl Equinox which was a great car but I wanted a V6. When they redesigned it in 2017 the 6cyl engine option went away.

Not sure if the 6 cyl is quieter but I did get one with the 6 cyl. Probably has more to do with being an old timer. I would have got the 8 cyl if available. Right or wrong, I just think the car manufacturers expect too much out of the small engines. The way me and DW drive, that 6 cyl won’t ever have to work too hard.
GM 10 Speed tranny is really good. CT6 has it, I do not not notice it shifting. And keeps engine torque/RPM in the optimum range when mashing the pedal.

A better picture of the actual vehicle.

33319-albums249-picture2762.jpg

Wow, looks great! I am sure that you are going to have some great road trips in it.

I have told my DH that the next time I buy a car, that I want one that is quieter.

Back
Top Bottom