Quiet Vehicles

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I took a trip in my Equinox this week. It’s a good vehicle. 2017 with the Premier package, 6cyl, AWD, and frankly, a nice vehicle for getting around town. But on a trip, it’s not that great. Mainly because of the road noise. I used to drive Buicks and was alway impressed at how smooth and quiet they were. Unfortunately, the Equinox size Buick is made in China and a ex-coworker leased one and said it was in no way up to typical Buick standards. He traded it in early. So that’s not an option and Buick doesn’t make the LaCrosse that I drove for years any longer.

So, what are some really quiet cars/SUV’s that I should look at? I’m looking for something that I’d call mid-sized, similar to my Equinox, that would be a great ride to take on trips. It’s just me and DW so no need for a large SUV and I already have a GMC Denali pick-up if I need to haul something. I’d like something smooth and quiet that can haul a few suitcases and seat four people comfortably in case we take someone out for dinner at our destination.

We are a GM family so getting another brand will be a bit of a challenge but I’m ready to look elsewhere. However, Cadillac could be considered. Buick just doesn’t have the vehicles I desire any longer.

I've had 3 Jeep Grand Cherokees - they were fairly quiet and good on trips. Not the best gas mileage when I had them, but I'm sure they've improved some.

I have an extremely quiet car. Not only does it not have a gasoline engine but it is heavily sound-proofed to cut out external noise. And it even has active noise cancellation. On a rough road surface I’ll hear some tire noise, otherwise it’s delightfully quiet.

Also a HEPA filter stops nasty smells from coming into the cabin.

These were both features of great importance to DH.

I have noticed in the last few years that many ICE cars are amazingly quiet. Big difference from many years ago.

Last edited:
Tires have a lot to do with road noise.

I was thinking about tires, but even if tires could make a difference, I’m sure the Equinox would also need significant sound proofing. I don’t think Chevy focuses on sound proofing. I traded in my Chevy truck after just two years and got the Denali primarily due to the GMC being more quiet.

I have an extremely quiet car. Not only does it not have a gasoline engine but it is heavily sound-proofed to cut out external noise. On a rough road surface I’ll hear some tire noise, otherwise it’s delightfully quiet.

Also a HEPA filter stops nasty smells from coming into the cabin.

These were both features of great importance to DH.

I have noticed in the last few years that many ICE cars are amazingly quiet. Big difference.

I have nothing against EV’s, but I just don’t think the infrastructure is in place for them to be a practical road warrior. If I try one, it will be for around town. I’d love to never have to visit a gas station again. However, the range issues and time to charge are not something I want to buy into for a road car.

... Equinox .. 2017 ... on a trip, it’s not that great. Mainly because of the road noise.

'Add around 8000 miles I gave up on the road noise and put a set of nice premium Michelin tires on it. Replaced those garbage Hankooks. It transformed the car. No longer an issue with road noise for me.'

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/2018-chevy-equinox-road-noise-84256/

Good when slow on smooth surfaces, deafening when fast on worn concrete exposing aggregate? Possibly tyre pattern. Have all worn suspension bushings replaced.

Noise cancellation system malfunction?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183782338006

Last edited:
I have nothing against EV’s, but I just don’t think the infrastructure is in place for them to be a practical road warrior. If I try one, it will be for around town. I’d love to never have to visit a gas station again. However, the range issues and time to charge are not something I want to buy into for a road car.
Our EV has clearly been practical for us as we put on 9000 in the first 4 months including a couple of very long road trips. But of course for any reason someone may decide it’s not a good choice for them.

I was just pointing out one of the benefits can be little noise. :D

So, what are some really quiet cars/SUV’s that I should look at? I’m looking for something that I’d call mid-sized, similar to my Equinox, that would be a great ride to take on trips. It’s just me and DW so no need for a large SUV and I already have a GMC Denali pick-up if I need to haul something. I’d like something smooth and quiet that can haul a few suitcases and seat four people comfortably in case we take someone out for dinner at our destination.

Lexus makes tomb-quiet sedans. Kind of expensive though. I don't know about the quietness of their SUV's.

Also, as Audreyh1 says, and Samsung4321 points out, tires have a lot to do with road noise. Michelin's are generally a quiet tire.

Lexus makes tomb-quiet sedans. Kind of expensive though. I don't know about the quietness of their SUV's.

Also, as Audreyh1 says, tires have a lot to do with road noise.

Check the tires and the are Michelin Latitudes. A little research suggests they are rated as a very quiet tire. Too bad as that could have been a cost effective answer to my issue.

Lexus did cross my mind, but I’ve never been in one, let alone drive one. I’ll put that on the list. I wouldn’t mind a sedan, but DW does prefer the height of an SUV.

Check the tires and the are Michelin Latitudes. A little research suggests they are rated as a very quiet tire. Too bad as that could have been a cost effective answer to my issue.
How much wear on those tires? My experience is even quiet tires get noisier as the tread depth declines.

How much wear on those tires? My experience is even quiet tires get noisier as the tread depth declines.
Right, noticeably.

I suspect soundproofing has a lot to do with it as well. I know that some of the luxury sedans are super quiet.

Our EV has clearly been practical for us as we put on 9000 in the first 4 months including a couple of very long road trips. But of course for any reason someone may decide it’s not a good choice for them.

I was just pointing out one of the benefits can be little noise. :D

It can be but there are plenty of cars where the engine is inaudible, except maybe under acceleration. I can't hear my car's engine at any normal cruising speed.

We're driving a Ford Escape platinum hybrid that model comes with extra soundproofing..it's so quiet and terrific road trip mileage

It can be but there are plenty of cars where the engine is inaudible, except maybe under acceleration. I can't hear my car's engine at any normal cruising speed.
I agree as I said above. A lot of today’s ICE passenger cars seem to be amazingly quiet as they drive by me when I’m out walking in our neighborhood.

Not the trucks though!

I’ll check, but only 27K miles on the vehicle and these are original tires. The Equinox is a 2017. We don’t drive it many miles.

Still, I doubt it has any significant sound proofing. Maybe I should look into aftermarket soundproofing.

I’ll check, but only 27K miles on the vehicle and these are original tires. The Equinox is a 2017. We don’t drive it many miles.

Still, I doubt it has any significant sound proofing. Maybe I should look into aftermarket soundproofing.

First determine if any pattern to noise.
. 'trip' mentioned - likely at higher speed than non-trip.
. Has noise increased with time?
. White noise, bumps, rattles?
. Excessive movement at suspension bushings (esp. metal to metal contact)?
. Change or no change when remove fuse for, or unplug, noise cancelling system?

First determine if any pattern to noise.
. 'trip' mentioned - likely at higher speed than non-trip.
. Has noise increased with time?
. White noise, bumps, rattles?
. Excessive movement at suspension bushings (esp. metal to metal contact)?
. Change or no change when remove fuse for, or unplug, noise cancelling system?

Speed/highway driving is definitely louder. Also, since you’re in the car longer, it matters more.

It has not changed with time. I just have less tolerance as I change with time.

It’s not white noise or rattles. The vehicle is structurally solid.

No suspension issues.

I’ll have to look to see if it has any type of noise canceling. I don’t remember it as an option or called out in the options list.

I’ll have to look to see if it has any type of noise canceling. I don’t remember it as an option or called out in the options list.

'noise-cancellation system that quells sounds, thrums, and mild vibrations in inline-4 models after you're underway'
https://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/chevrolet_equinox_2017
Implies V6 might not have.

'This part is compatible with'
2017 Chevrolet Equinox Premier Sport Utility 4-Door 3.6L 3564CC 217Cu. In. V6 FLEX DOHC Naturally Aspirated
2017 Chevrolet Equinox Premier Sport Utility 4-Door 3.6L 3564CC 217Cu. In. V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183782338006
States that part can be fitted to V6.

I would think any of the largest GM SUV's would be quiet enough. I'm talking GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse or Buick Enclave.

I have a Toyota Venza SUV which is Hybrid and All Wheel Drive. It's incredibly quiet around town as it's running much of the time on electrics. In hard acceleration it is a little buzzy, but at steady speeds it's quiet. What we like is the 41.5 mpg. The big selling RAV-4 Hybrid is basically the same vehicle, and it can come in a plug in hybrid that's incredibly quick. It seems most hybrid buyers love'em.

It's about luxury cars which have more insulation around the cabin.

I used to read cars magazines and they would have charts of different road tests they did, putting things like 0-60 times, stopping distance, 1/4 mile, mileage, price, etc.

One of the things I paid a lot of attention to was sound level in decibels as measured at highway speeds.

The nicer more expensive cars were under 70 dBs and the cheaper cars were well over it.

I used to take a Radio Shack sound meter on test drives.

Now I don't seem to notice road noise as much. One reason, I usually have at least one AirPods on, rarely both because I don't want to cut off important noise clues when I drive.

Another reason, I cared about sound levels in car cabins was that I wanted to buy a real nice stereo system. Did that, no longer care, don't listen to music as much when I drive.

I don't know if car reviews track sound levels any more but I would think more luxury marques will still try to build better sound insulation.

Cadillac might still do that but they seem to target a much younger demographic than they used to so maybe they sell loud sound systems and people don't notice road and wind noise.

My car is quiet, but when I changed to a different set of tires last year I was amazed at how much quieter it got on the highway. So I think tires must be half the equation, along with cabin soundproofing.

We had a 2012 Equinox, then got a 2016 Honda CRV, which was somewhat quieter. We now have a 2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, which is better yet.

Tires matter a lot. But so do the profile of the tires.

In another thread (can't remember, maybe inflation?) a few of us were complaining about the style choice of these huge wheels with low profile tires. They are expensive, stiffen the ride, and frequently louder.

As for insulation, it is a thing, and it is labor consuming to install, so this is one place where the upscale brands earn some keep.

Lexus > Toyota
Acura > Honda
Buick > Chevy
Infiniti > Nissan

Most of these brands have near twins and the upscale should be quieter.

At least that's the way it used to be until marketeers decided to market only to 20 somethings...

We just purchased a Lincoln Nautilus Black Label edition. 2.7 liter twin turbo. Very happy with it so far. Very quiet. Lots of power.
Our other car is a 2020 RX350. This not a quiet car.
I did search the web for quiet tires and the major manufacturers have them available advertised as quiet.

Tires matter a lot. But so do the profile of the tires.

In another thread (can't remember, maybe inflation?) a few of us were complaining about the style choice of these huge wheels with low profile tires. They are expensive, stiffen the ride, and frequently louder.

As for insulation, it is a thing, and it is labor consuming to install, so this is one place where the upscale brands earn some keep.

Lexus > Toyota
Acura > Honda
Buick > Chevy
Infiniti > Nissan

Most of these brands have near twins and the upscale should be quieter.

At least that's the way it used to be until marketeers decided to market only to 20 somethings...

+1 on Lexus being very quiet. DW was sold on the Toyota Avalon. They said (at the time) it was the only Toyota that used the same sound proofing as Lexus.

DD has a 350 Lexus that sits a bit higher & is same quietness.

A friend added sound proofing to his wife's Mazda by removing panels and it made a big impact. Probably can be done on any car...

Back
Top Bottom