Do you cook? What’d you cook today?

Been offline as I broke my computer. fixed now. I LOVE to cook, and living in the styx, there are more options and generally better food in my kitchen than eating out. Except fried chicken which I never cook because Piggly Wiggly does it so well and with no mess. This weekend we had jambalaya with fresh squash from the garden and blackberry/blueberry pie from berries we picked ourselves. yum.

We are mostly vegetarians (occasionally we'll have some seafood) and got into a pattern that we didn't like, rotating between pasta, veggie burgers, and such. When we moved to Georgia three and a half years ago, and I started working at home, I started cooking more, adding one recipe at a time until I got good at it before moving onto another. Most of what I cook is south or east Asian, or east African. Right now I have some kidney beans soaking so I can make rajma chawal tonight.

Bonus: it keeps the heat from cooking out of the kitchen.

This is especially good. We started doing things like baked potatoes on the grill for the very reason. No need to air condition a house and the blast 400 degrees in the oven for an hour.

As for cooking, we cook but in waves, we will go out. Sometimes, we’re just not into it or we haven’t done the requisite shopping . . . When we do cook, it’s pretty simple fare. Meat and vegetables. DW makes a pot of chicken vegetable soup a couple times a month and we eat a lot of salads. Main meat is chicken, but we’ll throw a steak or burger on the grill from time to time. I also have a smoker and will do some ribs or pork butt on occasion.

Definitely like eating at home better. Food is better and controlled. DW cannot have dairy and we like to stay away from grains. Very hard to do in a restaurant. Seems like most cheap meals are grains and dairy (pasta, Mac and cheese, sandwiches with cheese . . .).

So if you are a mushroom hunter, do you ever find and harvest boletus? We occasionally get dishes with them in Europe and the flavor is incredible! Saw fresh whole boletus in the markets there. Only see dried (porcini) in the US.

I have not yet harvested boletus mushrooms around here, as I don't know the edible ones well enough to be sure of the ID. I do harvest about 4-5 types of wild edible mushrooms that I know very well, though.........oysters, chanterelles, puffballs, shaggy manes, and lions mane (or comb-tooth mushrooms). I also harvest shiitake mushrooms that I grow on maple logs in my backyard. We get more oyster mushrooms than anything else, so we dry a lot of those in the dehydrator for use throughout the winter months. The lions mane (or comb-tooth) are a real find when we get some......they taste something like crab meat or lobster. Chanterelles are great too, but they are not always that abundant. And the puffballs are very good when young......kind of like the button mushrooms you can buy at the store. I am always trying to learn new edible mushrooms, but I won't pick and eat anything if I am not 100% certain about the ID.

Here’s a strange one for you, unlaid chicken eggs stir fried with Thai basil

I didn’t eat it, the only eggs I eat are laid chicken eggs, wife will eat any kind of eggs including Ant Eggs

262rwd2.jpg

I remember as a kid my mom was friends with a guy who had a chicken farm for eggs. Whenever an old chicken quit laying she would get it and make a stew. Occasionally there were unlaid eggs inside and they added a rich flavor to the stew.

Currently grilling pork chops, potatoes and onions. We cut slabs of potato and onion ~3/8" thick, brush with olive oil and then season with salt and pepper... grill on medium heat... good and easy.

Stir fry for dinner: coconut oil, steak, onion, asparagus, sauce. Stir fry is frequent and ever changing in my house. Protein, veggies, healthy fat.

Just cooked up a back of homemade ketchup. Beats the heck out of anything I can buy in a store. Tonight it goes on a burger.

Saw a recipe on the local AM station and had to try it. Peeled, grilled sweet potato slices, topped with cream cheese, toasted pecans and drizzled with honey. Big hit with family so a definite do over. One request for maple syrup drizzle instead of honey. Will do each next time for a taste test.

I’m pretty lucky that my wife likes to cook and doesn’t really like restaurant food so we rarely eat out. It’s twofold, first we can regulate what we eat and secondly it’s much more cost effective to cook rather than eat out. I got excited after eating this Thai sausage she made for dinner, it’s one of my favorite dishes that she’s made and had to show and tell.

34pncpu.jpg

I told her she could probably sell this stuff so she made a big batch and advertised on Facebook, she sold 15 pieces already and needs to make more

Appears I’m not “retired” I gotta take her shopping for ingredients today

Nice batch of bolognese. All fresh: beef from BAR10 ranch in Utah, pork from a cousin of the same rancher in Utah also. Veggies were from the farmers market. Also grilled bacon, feta turkey burgers and ground steak burgers at our outdoor kitchen. Now that it’s so hot out, cooking taken care of for awhile!

I love to cook and garden - many of my dishes are inspired by whatever I have recently harvested. DH and I love our cooking nights together. It is such a wonderful hobby to share, along with a good bottle of wine!

I recently made Chicken Marbella. My friend brought it to a party recently, and I just had to have the recipe!

It is an unusual combo of flavors which work incredibly well together - capers, prunes, garlic, wine, brown sugar, oregano, red wine vinegar. I served it over riced cauliflower (mixed with a bit of real rice) along with roasted brussel sprouts and tomatoes. We are having an amazing year of tomatoes in the garden!

Attachments

• PART_1529062891954_IMG_20180613_185126.jpg
    PART_1529062891954_IMG_20180613_185126.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 27
  • PART_1529062876660_IMG_20180613_185542.jpg
    PART_1529062876660_IMG_20180613_185542.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 24
Ginger snaps with chopped up candied but not sugar coated ginger from Trader Joe's. Great! not too sweet and at $1.80/8oz bag it was the perfect balance of quantity and cost. 8 ounces is just right for the cookie batch I made.

For dinner we had pesto tortellini with a tomato, artichoke and eggplant sauce with a side of sauteed yellow and king oyster mushrooms, onions, and squash with nectarine slices, watermelon slices and dark chocolate for dessert.

For dinner we had pesto tortellini with a tomato, artichoke and eggplant sauce with a side of sauteed yellow and king oyster mushrooms, onions, and squash with nectarine slices, watermelon slices and dark chocolate for dessert.

Do you by chance have a recipe for the eggplant sauce? I'm always looking for new ways to use the prolific japanese eggplant my garden is producing.

Today's chore is smoking 2 pork roasts and a chicken for tomorrow with the family. I'll pull the meat off just before it's done and finish it in the oven tomorrow.
Pulled pork sammiches'. Yumm!

Its not cooking, its playing with "fire" (pun intended).
I'll cook about anything except seafood over fire with cast iron.
c:\desktop\fire.jpg

Beyond burgers and onion rings tonight. It's been a junk food kind of day.

The afternoon glass of super strong cold brewed coffee

10r3bth.jpg
Looks yummy.

I've made a couple of batches of bulletproof coffee. Hot coffee blended with coconut oil and butter from grass fed cows. Yummy.

Tonight is hot Italian sausage with grilled peppers, garlic, and onions. Rolls are optional.

Looks yummy.

I've made a couple of batches of bulletproof coffee. Hot coffee blended with coconut oil and butter from grass fed cows. Yummy.

Tonight is hot Italian sausage with grilled peppers, garlic, and onions. Rolls are optional.

We love bulletproof coffee-try adding powdered collagen for even more nutrition/good for the joints as we age.

Crab dip with Frito-lay corn chips, cut up veggies with dip, assorted cheeses, and some sliced salame'. Washed down with some ice cold Sauvignon Blanc, or Syrah rose", mine of course. It's 85 today, humid, and that's about the extent of my cooking today.

Just cooked up a back of homemade ketchup. Beats the heck out of anything I can buy in a store. Tonight it goes on a burger.

+1. I make many of my own condiments; ketchup, mayo, tzatziki, cocktail and tarter sauce top the list.

One exception - - - when I lived in Germany, I developed a fondness (actually more of an insane obsession) for curry ketchup. Tried to make it - never could get it right. However, through divine intervention, I learned of a local grocery store that carried some. So, I dashed over at breakneck speed, and yup; Zeistner's - made in Bremen. :dance:

As they say, the rest is history. It is awesome! I escaped the Valley of Darkness and now walk in the light of a mildly spicy and pungent curry elixir.

From what I saw in Germany, the locals pretty much limited usage to curry wurst. I, on the other hand, pour it on meats, fries, breakfast taters, eggs, old sneakers, etc.

Back
Top Bottom