Do you ever use this English word?

Here's a word I never used/seen before working for the current megacorp - bifurcate. It showed up in a slide and I had to do a quick dictionary check. I don't think the use of "bifurcate" was very needful in the context.

If you were an anatomy professor or vascular surgeon you would be using "bifurcate" on a daily basis.

"The aorta bifurcates into the right and left femoral arteries."
"The aortic aneurysm's distal edge is 3 cm proximal to the bifurcation of the aorta."
Etc.

In Ireland, if something is described as "deadly" it means it is what in the US is called "awesome".

Emigrating was an adventure in colloquialisms!

In Ireland, if something is described as "deadly" it means it is what in the US is called "awesome".

Emigrating was an adventure in colloquialisms!

"Sick" is also used to mean awesome. Sick = precursor to deadly?

Has anyone heard the expressions "this day morning" and "today morning" to convey "this morning"? I heard this a lot from Middle Eastern and Indian colleagues. I thought it was charming.

The Germans use an expression that would translate that way- maybe other languages do, too. I used to get confused because I worked for a company headquartered in the German-speaking section of Switzerland and in German, "halb neun" meant 8:30, ("literally half nine"). When my British boss said "half nine" he meant 9:30.

And then there were my Indian colleagues, who coined the charming back-formation "pre-pone", which meant that an event had been moved to an earlier time.

...............A while back I heard that in Canada when something at a meeting is 'tabled' that means it's brought to the fore front for discussion. The exact opposite of what 'tabled' means in the USA. Right or wrong?
I w*rked with a Brit that kept wanting to discuss a topic at a regular meeting and couldn't understand why every time he got agreement to table the topic, everyone got up and left. :LOL:

DS got in trouble his first day in US school (3rd grade) after 4 years in an international school with curriculum in the King's English. He asked the teacher for a "rubber". :nonono:

DS got in trouble his first day in US school (3rd grade) after 4 years in an international school with curriculum in the King's English. He asked the teacher for a "rubber". :nonono:

In Australia 'Durex' is/was a brand of Scotch Tape, whereas in England it is/was a/the brand of contraceptives.

Back in the 1960s a girl, (tall, blond, good looking), who traveled on the same ship I was on from OZ to England, apparently (I heard from a third party) landed a job with an advertising agency......prepping a pork-based product for a photo-shoot, she apparently asked, in a loud voice, "Does anyone have any Durex I can put on these sausages?".

Brought the house down.

Around here it is doing a needle full. In the ghetto...

Has anyone heard the expressions "this day morning" and "today morning" to convey "this morning"? I heard this a lot from Middle Eastern and Indian colleagues. I thought it was charming.

I heard this pretty frequently from my Indian co-workers - 'too-day morning', accent on the 'too'. Always kind of liked it, too.

Here's a word I never used/seen before working for the current megacorp - bifurcate. It showed up in a slide and I had to do a quick dictionary check. I don't think the use of "bifurcate" was very needful in the context.

I use bifurcate frequently - in fact I used it in an article I wrote the a couple days ago.

In fact, "today morning" makes perfect sense, because we say "yesterday morning" and "tomorrow morning". Maybe we should change!

Guess I live a sheltered life. First time I'd ever heard of it was this thread.

I use bifurcate frequently - in fact I used it in an article I wrote the a couple days ago.

In graduate school, "bifurcate" was a favourite word. "Trifurcate" only caught on with a few of us (most of whom sat in the back row).

I came to a bifurcation in the road. I took it.

Amethyst

In graduate school, "bifurcate" was a favourite word. "Trifurcate" only caught on with a few of us (most of whom sat in the back row).

I would answer this question but doing so wouldn't be wantful to me.

Back
Top Bottom