Do you find that your mind cant keep up with Inflation?

Cars that are already sold when they are built are flagged during the build process, special care is supposed to be taken and the car is not eligible for testing or being pulled of the line for any reason, like going to audit to verify (a sample of production goes to the audit building etc.)
They also have a big sign that says:

Do Not Dispose of Coke Bottles in Firewall!

:)

Happy Monday, ya'll. Here's the snopes scoop on the old RattleTrap legend.

Last edited:
My daughter had her bachlorette party (getting married next month) at a cabin in the woods near Hocking Hills State park, here in Ohio, with several of her friends. One girl slipped and fell on her pocketed Iphone ($900 and not paid off yet), so she went right out the next day, and bought a new 10 gig Iphone for $1700.

3 years ago I took my '99 CRV (150K) to get an oil change at my independent shop. They took 2 hours (while I waited.) I couldn't imagine what was taking so long. Finally, they handed me a stack of paper showing all the things that were "wrong" with the car. The total repair bill would be almost $2500. Most of the costs were parts and labor to repair/replace much of the suspension. I said "no thanks" and left. 3 years later, nothing has fallen off, the tires wear normally, the ride is solid (not particularly soft or comfortable, but that's no change since '07.) Near as I can tell, the car is "fine."

Now, I don't think the shop was so much lying to me as they were stating that items were out of their specs. If I drove 10s of thousands of miles per year on 70 mph interstates, I might have at least gotten a second opinion. As it is, I've put 15K on the car in the past 3 years. I rarely drive 55 and rarely drive more than 15 miles. The only thing I've spent on the car since then was more oil changes and (finally) a new battery because the 6 yo battery was failing.

So, looping back to inflation for a moment, it seems to me that repairs (parts and labor) have inflated MUCH faster than most regular consumer items. In most cases, there are few substitutes (other than DIY which I'm trying to wean myself from.) YMMV

3 years ago I took my '99 CRV (150K) to get an oil change at my independent shop. They took 2 hours (while I waited.) I couldn't imagine what was taking so long. Finally, they handed me a stack of paper showing all the things that were "wrong" with the car. The total repair bill would be almost $2500. I said "no thanks" and left. 3 years later, nothing has fallen off, the tires wear normally, the ride is solid (not particularly soft or comfortable, but that's no change since '07.) Near as I can tell, the car is "fine."

Same parking lot queen 2 years ago took her in for a leaky front tire.. couldn’t find a leak but suggested i need $2000 in front end work. I said no thanks too.. this time vibration and clanking noise told me it is about time...

Home improvements? I guess they were always high due to craftsman labor? I'm still passing out over the $5,000 it apparently will cost me to replace an old leaky French door in my house. Looking at it, one would think hmmm, $500 for a new door, and maybe $600 labor to remove old door and install new door. But nooooooooo....... That's why I'm still trying to find the leak myself and fix it. May eventually call a handyman to look at it, but am afraid of that price too!

Home improvements? I guess they were always high due to craftsman labor? I'm still passing out over the $5,000 it apparently will cost me to replace an old leaky French door in my house. Looking at it, one would think hmmm, $500 for a new door, and maybe $600 labor to remove old door and install new door. But nooooooooo....... That's why I'm still trying to find the leak myself and fix it. May eventually call a handyman to look at it, but am afraid of that price too!

Building a nice door from scratch might be craftsman labour but installing one certainly isn't.

Have someone run a hose against the door while you look on the inside where the water is coming in. Most times it's just a matter of replacing worn weather stripping or sometimes a sweep or threshold. Also check that the caulk on the trim/brick molding on the outside is still in good shape.

Are you familiar with those 'gumball' machines in the grocery store lobbies? The kind with a small toy or ring inside a bubble .

It's 75-cents now!

Seems like just a year ago, the kids could pop a quarter in the machine for a junk toy.

And probably a nickel when I was a kid. But I think they only had bubble gum back then.

The cost of housing. I can't believe that our new build, 4 room, 1100 square foot ranch house on a postage sized, leased lot (no rental charge, btw) is going to cost almost as much as what we can get when we sell our totally remodeled 2600 square foot colonial house on 10.5 acres.

What are you going to do when the lease is up ?

Why not own the land ?

... in general it is better to have somewhat higher inflation, so we can take the advantage on the investment side, while the cost of many day to day goods will still be roughly the same (higher prices) as when the inflation rate is lower.

I know this is counter intuitive to some extent.

That's when the inflation is at the Goldilocks level of about 2%, along with low unemployment.

When inflation is really bad, as it was in the 70s, investments did not quite keep up with rising costs, while salaries did better. Workers with a mortgage did better than retirees on fixed income or living off investments.

Penny candy purchased in the late 50s is almost a dime in 2019. At least it should be. But wrappers and advertising make it 25 cents.

Penny candy purchased in the late 50s is almost a dime in 2019. At least it should be. But wrappers and advertising make it 25 cents.
And now the wrappers don't even offer the chance to send in for X-ray glasses!

Took DGFs grandson to the pizza tavern. Machines are a Dollar here!
Now get off my lawn!
Are you familiar with those 'gumball' machines in the grocery store lobbies? The kind with a small toy or ring inside a bubble .

It's 75-cents now!

Seems like just a year ago, the kids could pop a quarter in the machine for a junk toy.

And probably a nickel when I was a kid. But I think they only had bubble gum back then.

Rent. Apartments that rented for $400 in mid 2009 went up to $515 in mid 2016 and have now jumped to $725. Granted, our costs have gone up, but the primary driving force has been our reaction to legislation in Oregon that alleged to be for tenant benefit.

According to this, $400 in 2009 → 2019 | Inflation Calculator , our rent on the $400 apartment should be $478.35 based on inflation alone.

Rent. Apartments that rented for $400 in mid 2009 went up to $515 in mid 2016 and have now jumped to $725. Granted, our costs have gone up, but the primary driving force has been our reaction to legislation in Oregon that alleged to be for tenant benefit.

According to this, $400 in 2009 → 2019 | Inflation Calculator , our rent on the $400 apartment should be $478.35 based on inflation alone.

Our $465 rent in 2001, should be $678, but we just raised it to $600. Costs have gone down big time. Changed insurance brokers, saved $1000, county reassessed property taxes, $1965 to $1491, mortgage 7.875% to 4.375% to 3.375%.

So a week ago Saturday we were visiting friends in a nice neighborhood and parked DW's 2017 CR-V on the street. Has all the bells & whistles including blind spot detection in the rear view mirror assembly.

Come out around 11p & the driver mirror is lying on ground intact, but split into about 20 segments. The colored back piece is also on ground. But frame around mirror is undamaged, so couldn't be hit & run. No one around. Clearly vandalism.

So went to Honda for replacement cost. Guess: a) $250, b) $500, c) $750, d) $1K
See below:

c) I'd predicted d) with the radar blind spot detection, but unbelievable enough. And of course we have $1K deductible insurance.

Last edited:
I recently purchased motor oil for my old truck at an automobile parts store that I like. They charged me $40 for 6 quarts, so almost $7/quart. It was a fancy synthetic blend, and I wasn't paying close attention to that or the price when I bought them.

I returned these for basic oil. As he was ringing me up, he said the regular ones cost $6/quart.

I told him old guy syndrome, because I was expecting something like $4/quart.

I will be buying oil at discount places in the future.

Take care, JP

Back in September of 2011, my ladyfriend and I went to Atlantic City for a weekend. While there, we walked along the boardwalk and saw a video game arcade so we went in and played some games. Most of them I never heard of, but they did have one of my favorites from the 1980s, Ms. Pac Man. Back then, I could play one game for a quarter and got 5 "men" for the game. This time, the game cost 50 cents and I got only 3 men for the game. With only 3 men, unless you are really, really good (I could still play the game fairly well), a game hardly lasted more than a few minutes. From a cost-per-man perspective, it went from 5 cents back in the 80s to 17 cents in 2011. Taking inflation into account, it's probably not terribly out of line. Still, I found it rather depressing.

On the upside, personal computers have gotten better and cost a lot less than they did when I bought my first PC back in 1995 and its replacement in 2000. Same for TVs. Even the new A/C I bought a few weeks ago to replace the 19-year-old one which died cost less and has a lot of nifty features including a remote control. With the weather cooling off quickly since I bought it, I haven't had to use it much, so most of this discovery process will take place next summer.

In the supermarket, potato chips and chocolate chip cookies are two items whose prices are rising a lot. My goal is to find them for $4 per pound. That's an increasingly difficult task, unless they are on sale. And the "sale" prices are often well over $5 per pound, making my head shake as I whisper to myself, "THAT'S no bargain!"

c) I'd predicted d) with the radar blind spot detection, but unbelievable enough. And of course we have $1K deductible insurance.
I have always carried high deductible. Our cars are now 10+ years and we'll be dropping everything but liability soon.

However, next car, I'm going to start with low deductible. We don't have "automatic glass coverage" in this state. It is just part of comprehensive. So, with a $1k deductible, I'm kind of SOL. Hearing about these expensive glass replacements on cars with vision has me convinced it may be time to Blow Some Dough and go with a lower deductible next car.

I told him old guy syndrome, because I was expecting something like $4/quart.

I will be buying oil at discount places in the future.

Take care, JP
Funny you should mention this. Just spent this morning doing my "Latest Repair" by changing my and DW's oil.

I typically go to Walmart and get the synthetic blends in 5 qt. containers. That comes to about $3.80 per qt. Much more in line with what my mind can handle.

JorWras,
$3.85/quart at Walmart is a good sign that expecting something in the $4/quart range is still reasonable.

I'm willing to pay a little more to support a local business that I like, but they obviously decided charging +$2 per quart of oil is a good strategy.

JP

Yes. Castrol was 18.92 per 5 qt for different kinds of synth blends. Pure synth was higher. This is central NC.

I got proof (receipt) if necessary. :)

I'm still getting used to the 5 qt pricing. I used to buy cases (12) of qts. In the 90s, Castrol used to give kickbacks for buying cases. I have T-shirts and hats from my favorite NFL teams from that era. Thinking about it now, it is like, YIKES, I have 20 year old junk from buying oil. Still like it though. :)

Price insensitivity

Sounds like many of us [coughcheepscatescough] are doing our part against inflation by just saying "no". My contribution lately has been to refuse paying $500 per man hour to an HVAC outfit. I've got a new system delivered and it's mostly installed. I will pay maybe $500 - $700 to connect the refrigerant lines. Took the cost from $7,200 down to under $3K for the same hardware. Cheers to those of us that put elasticity into demand :)

Sounds like many of us [coughcheepscatescough] are doing our part against inflation by just saying "no". My contribution lately has been to refuse paying $500 per man hour to an HVAC outfit. I've got a new system delivered and it's mostly installed. I will pay maybe $500 - $700 to connect the refrigerant lines. Took the cost from $7,200 down to under $3K for the same hardware. Cheers to those of us that put elasticity into demand :)

I did the same job at the last house. Not really that complicated or strenuous. Saved quite a bit. Had a local guy who is certified to hook up refrigerant lines and set the system up.

Back
Top Bottom