Do you find that your mind cant keep up with Inflation?

When I started at Michigan (Ann Arbor) the tuition was $550 / semester and room & board (fraternity) was 700 / month. When I graduated it was $750 / $800

So $6700 to $7900 per year. Yeah, college is expensive.

But as they say "If you think education is expensive, consider the cost of ignorance"

I would guess that the parts are less than $200 at the auto parts store. Brakes are easy. new rotors and pads are only $100 and easy to put in.

See what it actually takes before you pay. You may find that saving/making $100 an hour is easy.
+1

For decently handy people, pads and rotors are in reach.

Some of the dealerships and their brake work quotes are really out of line. "Bad Brakes" == "scared people" and they take advantage of that.

Don't get me wrong, tires and brakes are the most important safety items on a car. (No, it isn't lane keeping assist.) Just because of that, repair people should not take advantage of it... and they are.

My step son always does our brakes and it’s cheap and fast. I would take it to another shop.

We had the Nissan dealer quote suspension repairs and we took a pass. The next time we took it to our trusted mechanic and he said it did not need replacing just yet. 18 months later he repaired it for 40% of the dealers quote.

But I agree with the rampant inflation. The only saving grace is that there are many alternatives now that did not exist back then.
Same experience with my old Acura (now at 200k miles). Dealer said needed front end suspension job costing about 2k. Went to my mechanic and said do it for 1k or could try to get parts from wrecker and do it for less. He looked at it and said that it didn't really need to be done at that point. Two years later had it done with no issues leading up to repair. Dealers make money on repairs and used cars now IMHO - not selling new cars.

My favorite story in this regard is from many years ago. We took our 1-2 year old car in for an oil change on a coupon to a big brand repair place. They called us to say that the belts and hoses need to be replaced for several hundred dollars, a big sum to us at the time. I said no. We sold the car ~10 years later with the same belts and hoses doing just fine.

Certainly, one way to fight that inflationary trend is to stop taking the car to the dealer for service. I have a 4 year old Highlander, with 46K on it. Bought it new so I've always taken it to the dealer. But I'm about at the point where I'm ready to take it to a trusted, highly recommended independent garage.
In fact, when the rear brakes started making noise a couple of weeks ago, I called the dealer's service garage and they said "we can see you in 3 weeks"....so the above mentioned independent garage handled it, in 2 days...and did a fine job. And they are an hour closer.

so.....

I bought a used 2004 Colorado with 40k miles on it in 2007 for $15k.

I just bought a 2019 Tacoma for $31k with 39 miles on it, because a 2017 Colorado with 40k miles was $26k.

Inflation sticker shock either way, but I got 200k miles out of the 2004 in 12 years.

I had a slight case of sticker shock yesterday. My uncle wants to pick up a cheap used car to use as a second vehicle. His primary rig is a Chevrolet Colorado pickup with the extended cab. Despite the seatbelt count, it's essentially a 2-seater...the back seat is basically an upholstered package shelf. So, he wants something that, he says he can haul the family around in. Nevermind the fact, that our family is getting old and dying off!

Anyway, we looked at a few cars at used car lots yesterday, and some of the prices were ridiculous, in my opinion. For instance, a 2006 Sienna minivan, with about 171,000 miles on it, for $5900. Or an '06 RX330, with around 146,000, for $7500. We also saw a 2007 Lincoln Town car with around 93,000 miles on it, for $5200. It seemed a bit tempting at first, but it was sitting low in front, like it had bad shocks or needed suspension work, and some interior pieces were falling apart (armrest on the door, armrest in the middle of the seat, pull strap trim.

I know my thinking is old fashioned, but in my opinion, once a car is past 100,000 miles, and especially when they start getting older, they're basically a ticking time bomb ready to go off. Sure, it might be running great right now. But, it's like a 90 year old man who was still healthy and just ran a marathon. Sure, he's fine, at the moment. But he might drop dead next month.

And, there's just so much more that can go wrong with a car these days...all the electronics, emissions, and safety stuff that didn't even exist years ago. Or cost-cutting maneuvers, things made out of plastic that, once upon a time, were made from good old fashioned metal. Sure, metal rusts, but plastic breaks down, and degrades in its own way.

I just think it's odd how a car can lose half of its value within the first couple years, yet still have plenty of useful life left, and even be under warranty. But then, when you get to these higher mileage relics, it seems like they're not much cheaper, considering the risk you take. I know that depreciation has always been the worst in the first couple years on a car, but it seems like older ones are holding their value much better than in the past.

I guess part of it too, is that the styles don't change all that much, so an old car doesn't really feel "old". I remember, my senior year in high school, 1987-88, my English teacher had a 1978 Pontiac Catalina she wanted to sell, for only $500. It was in great shape. I wanted it, but my mom and stepdad wouldn't let me buy it. Style-wise though, that car DID look old...any 10 year old car looked old, especially after the second wave of downsizing, the exodus to FWD, and the more aerodynamic styles that came out. But today, a 10 year old car looks about the same as a brand-new car, except it might have a few dings and scratches, and the headlights might be clouding over.

Last edited:
Find a good local shop and get a second opinion. Fix what absolutely needs to be fixed to make keep the car safe to drive (like brakes) and let the rest go. Nurse the sucker as best you can until Cool Hand graduates and is hopefully gainfully employed, at which point it is his problem and he can trade it if he wants to.

Surely there's an independent shop specializing in Honda/Acura in your area...we've got one in my city of barely 200,000 people.

I have no problem using a dealer for maintenance service. I get my oil changes there. Of course I pay a little bit more. They also do a safety inspection at the same time which adds some small value. When/if a large ticket item is identified, I use my judgement before I say yea or nay. I have found that some of the local oil change guys nickel and dime for upselling items such as air filters, cabin filters, wipers, belts etc. Some things are best left to the owner to do themselves.

Dealers see more of your specific model vehicle and will more often know the various problems with your car making return for "problem not solved" issues lower IMO. Dealers will often use OEM filters, brake components and such. These are generally higher cost than those available OTC at your local parts store, Amazon or RockAuto. RockAuto is easy to quickly search for various brands, compare specifications and compare prices.

A good, honest independent mechanic is worth their weight in car payments for most routine things like brakes, shocks etc. suspension noises tec.

I too would definitely find a local shop to get a 2nd opinion. I have recently had a good experience with an independent shop called Christian Brothers. They are a small chain. Maybe there is one near you? YMMV

Seems some places / folks decide what to charge by charging 'whatever the market will bear'. I think that's what they must be doing at my alma mater Penn State, where it is now $60 (yes, sixty) to park one car on the tailgating grass area at a home football game. It's 'only' $25 per car if you order a parking pass in advance. Must be inflation of salaries, but apparently $60 does not seem outrageous to some people, to occupy a tiny spot in a cow pasture for 6 hours. And then you have to buy a game ticket if you want to see the game. Of course there are workarounds. I just park somewhere far away for free, and walk to the game, lol. Works for me, and I get that nice feeling that I'm beating the system, lol.

. I think that's what they must be doing at my alma mater Penn State, where it is now $60 (yes, sixty) to park one car on the tailgating grass area at a home football game. It's 'only' $25 per car if you order a parking pass in advance.

My son was at yesterdays blowout of Utah .. he paid $25 as a student for the ticket... I’m confused i thought the football was for the students...

I’m confused i thought the football was for the students...

no silly...football is for the TV advertisers

fans, students & in stadium are the chumps

*and I is a chump...but the tailgating is fun

In February we paid $38,000 plus tax for a new 2019 Ford Lariat F250 4x4. Great deal considering the sticker price was around $53,500.

Our food over the last few years has shrank in the packaging and went up in price. What can one do? Shop sales and stock up when what you need is on sale. Can we afford the inflated price? Yes, but why.

I’ll admit this is one of the reasons I have trouble with the idea of accounting for inflation in our discretionary spending. Even in my late 40s I’m noticing that I’m regularly shocked at how much some items now cost. It greatly influences my spending habits—I usually choose to either not buy or to buy something else.

I still can't justify buying a chocolate candy bar for $1 when I used to buy them for $.05. I used to get into the movies for $.25 too but I was 10-11 years old then and smuggling in my nickel candy bar.

Cheers!

I have no problem using a dealer for maintenance service. I get my oil changes there. Of course I pay a little bit more. They also do a safety inspection at the same time which adds some small value.
The dealer I bought my car at in 2010 used to be really reasonable for oil changes. It made a lot of sense to take it there. They were experts and they could also spot any issues, or take care of recalls.

Then the head service writer moved on, a new guy came, and he doubled prices straight away, overnight. To this, he said there was "extra care inspections" added, or something.

It made no sense, just simply what the market will bear.

I'm not bearing it. I now do my own or go to an independent.

Last edited:
I still can't justify buying a chocolate candy bar for $1 when I used to buy them for $.05. I used to get into the movies for $.25 too but I was 10-11 years old then and smuggling in my nickel candy bar.

Cheers!
Lidl sells 100g dark chocolate bars for $0.79 around here. At $1, you are being ripped off! :)

Seriously, they are a great deal. I actually can wrap my head around that. I remember milk chocolate bars about 1/2 the size costing a fifteen cents to a quarter. Too young to remember $0.05. So, yeah, I get $0.79.

Jeanie, Jeanie,
Wants a Lamborghini.
Husband said "Sorry,
We'll get a Ferrari."
(Or: "What're you thinkin?
I'll spring for a Lincoln.")

My jeanie wants an Lamborghini... we can afford the low end @200K, but with annual mileage @ 1000, the cost comes to $200/mile. Trying to convince her to go for a Lincoln @ 46K. We'll see... She doesn't care much for the color selection. :)

Told her...Decide now... prices may be going up.

Yesterday I took my sons ailing CRV into the dealer and discovered it needed nearly 2 grand of repairs. Yes, you read that right -2 grand. I knew it was bad when they hadn’t called by 4PM, so I called them. The Mrs and I had already discussed how much we would be willing to put into a car with 134,000 miles it. “Oh Mr RayinPenn we were just about to call you... “ Bottom line lots of suspension stuff and front brakes. I could have found a less expensive mechanic or just sold the car as is but, the old gal is a great cold weather dorm parking lot queen. Starts easily and is clean, has new tires, battery, now new front and rear brakes and all that other new front end stuff. Our dream goal is the car last to his graduation - he’s a junior. Probably 8,000-12,000 miles over the next 20 months. I hear CRVs have been known to do 200,000 miles.

Reality: two thousand dollars can and has been a bad day at the dentist. Still it is a shock to this old guys system. It’s not that we don’t see some big numbers in our lives. This semester Cool Hand’s ‘all in’ college cost will be roughly $25,000 and believe me I know that is quite a bargain but, still it 37 times what I paid. My first semester at college cost $230, almost a tenth of this repair. Books were always under $100. Now its easily $100 a book. Funny but that $230 was big money nearly 50 years ago.

Yes, Jack-in-the-Box two tacos for 99 cents is now $1.39. Breaks my heart.

It has always been my opinion and actual observation that the TRUE inflation rate is way higher than what the government reports. They have a keen desire to keep the CPI as low as possible because it affects many government payouts linked to the CPI. We have had a decade of ~2% inflation yet my expenses (taxes, insurance, food, car repairs) have been averaging about ~5% per year in increases.

Then don't get me started on the cost of "fun" stuff like concerts, excursions, dinners and lobster rolls. In 2008 my wife and I were getting lobster rolls in Maine at the rate of 2 for $9.99. Granted it was during the recession but recently paid $23.99 for a roll this summer. The point being is that certain commodities have stayed the same (i.e. boneless chicken breasts at $1.99/lb) while the rest of the stuff has gone up way higher than CPI would indicate.

Back
Top Bottom