Do you have a car emergency kit?

Do you Have a Car Emergency Kit?

• Nothing at all. I'll take my chances.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • My emergency kit is my cell phone and roadside assistance.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • My emergency kit is my cell phone and I call someone else

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Yes. My phone and I carry some stuff..but not a designated kit.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • Yes. I ready to rock'n'roll. Totally prepared

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
I have a light rain jacket and a can of Deep Woods Off.

You're reducing your gas mileage dragging all that stuff around :D

I see people in this thread mentioning carrying a blanket and shovel... anyone around here with a blanket and shovel must be out to bury a body!

Duffle bag filled with boots, coveralls, flashlight, stocking hat, gloves in my truck. Had to use this stuff last winter when I got a flat. Car has only slime that plugs flat tires and a temp/mini air compressor (car doesn't have a spare tire). Also cell phone and just got AAA

Duffle bag filled with boots, coveralls, flashlight, stocking hat, gloves in my truck. Had to use this stuff last winter when I got a flat. Car has only slime that plugs flat tires and a temp/mini air compressor (car doesn't have a spare tire). Also cell phone and just got AAA

So, did the Slime and temp/mini air compressor repair the flat enough to get you going back on track?

I don't have a that yet, but was thinking of that or Fix-a-Flat in case the tire goes and the situation is right to wait for AAA.

A cell phone and lots of "bundling up" stuff -- coats, hats, gloves, blankets, etc. I have a set of JUmper Cables that float between vehicles.

The last time, I needed a Jump Start, I was without Jumper Cables. Brenda was using a device in the vehicle that drained the battery while I was in the Doctor's Office longer than expected. Anyway, this guy came out and was getting in the car next to me. He noticed my dilemma and asked if he could help. I asked if he had Jumper Cables. He said, "No," and then did the most amazing thing. He took the battery out of his vehicle, turned it upside down and set it on top of our battery making sure the appropriate terminals were in contact. He then told me to start my car, which I did. He said, "You're Welcome," and left me standing there with a stunned expression. The sealed battery... what a great invention.

I should mention that in the RV I have a high volume air compressor but not so much as an "emergency" device but more to maintain the status quo.

That's wild. Battery directly to battery. I bet your life flashed before you when you turned the ignition key. I'm sure my life would have flashed before me.

Back on the frozen tundra of the midwest, I always carried lots of stuff for survival. On Oahu, I've got AAA, the cell, fix-a-flat, jumpers and money for TheBus - and an umbrella. Now ask me about my hurricane kit at home.:blush:

That's wild. Battery directly to battery. I bet your life flashed before you when you turned the ignition key. I'm sure my life would have flashed before me.
I suspect that may be a reasonably safe way to jump-start the car, as long as the contact can be maintained during the vibration of starting.

I've never owned a good enough set of jump leads. Every car I get seems to need more amps to crank the starter motor. My latest car is a diesel and probably needs 400 amps or something. I'll need leads that are as wide as they're long.

They still make Phone Books?

Those of us antiquated folks that still have landlines get one dropped on our doorsteps once a year, as always.:) Well, actually four - - the white pages, regular yellow pages, and smaller volume of yellow pages for carrying in cars, all from the phone company, and the fake phone book by some other company.

Those of us antiquated folks that still have landlines get one dropped on our doorsteps once a year, as always.:) Well, actually four - - the white pages, regular yellow pages, and smaller volume of yellow pages for carrying in cars, all from the phone company, and the fake phone book by some other company.

Those always go straight from doorstep to trashcan at my house. Luckily the two locations are only about 3 feet apart to save me some trouble. :D

Funny.... I am buyng those new jumper cables for dummies... they are on sale at Woot today...

We do have the cheap cell phone... and roadside assistance from our insurance company...

If you've ever blown up a battery during jumping (I have) or seen someone admitted to the ER with acid burns from same (I have) then you'll be especially careful about the details when jump-starting a vehicle. Polarity is important (duh), and the hydrogen released during the operation can lead to fireworks and worse. Now I'm a big fan of eye protection during the operation and connecting the ground lead last (and to the chassis, so I can be away from the battery when the sparking occurs). It's safe if done carefully, but not safe otherwise. I'd have to be pretty desperate before I'd accept the assistance of someone who wanted to invert their battery (sealed or not) over mine as a means to get my car started. Almost all "sealed" (aka "low maintenance") car batteries have vents. If inverted they shouldn't spill electrolyte (if everything is functioning as designed) but they can and do vent H during some operations. I wouldn't be surprised if this hydrogen could force out some electrolyte in the process.

If you've ever blown up a battery during jumping (I have) or seen someone admitted to the ER with acid burns from same (I have) then you'll be especially careful about the details when jump-starting a vehicle. Polarity is important (duh), and the hydrogen released during the operation can lead to fireworks and worse. Now I'm a big fan of eye protection during the operation and connecting the ground lead last (and to the chassis, so I can be away from the battery when the sparking occurs). It's safe if done carefully, but not safe otherwise. I'd have to be pretty desperate before I'd accept the assistance of someone who wanted to invert their battery (sealed or not) over mine as a means to get my car started. Almost all "sealed" (aka "low maintenance") car batteries have vents. If inverted they shouldn't spill electrolyte (if everything is functioning as designed) but they can and do vent H during some operations. I wouldn't be surprised if this hydrogen could force out some electrolyte in the process.

This is exactly how I understood the procedure... and they way I had always done it in the past. I was careful to be far away from the operation by staying in the drivers seat while the batteries were in close proximity.

Blanket, flares, jumper cable, cell phone, free roadside assistance from Acura and the insurance company.

When I had to jump my car battery a few months ago, I put on googles and gloves. I pack that along with my battery booster. I might look a little goofy but I'd rather look goofy and be safe than not look goofy and be dangerous.

I remember years back, I was a passenger (before I knew anything about jumping) and with a friend when we helped someone jump her car. The jumped worked as far as getting the car started. But I remember as we drove off, the jumper cable was melted. I was thinking to myself, something didn't work right. I think they connected both pos and negatives, and not on a ground.

............... But I remember as we drove off, the jumper cable was melted. I was thinking to myself, something didn't work right. I think they connected both pos and negatives, and not on a ground.

Some jumper cables that are sold are not really up to the task. Starting a car can draw a couple of hundred amps and if the wires are aluminum and / or small gauge, you get the melting. A way to avoid this is to hook the batteries together and let the running car charge up the battery of the dead car for 5 or 10 minutes. That way when you start the dead car, most of the current comes from its own battery and not so much through the cables.

So, did the Slime and temp/mini air compressor repair the flat enough to get you going back on track?

I don't have a that yet, but was thinking of that or Fix-a-Flat in case the tire goes and the situation is right to wait for AAA.

I got the flat in my truck with a spare so everything went ok. Haven't had a flat yet in the car, but various threads in the corvette forum gave me a heads up on how to handle it when the time comes. The threads said several years ago that the slime/ fix a flat works but screws up air pressure sensors. My emergency setup is about 8 years old - I need to research this for a better fix

I got the flat in my truck with a spare so everything went ok. Haven't had a flat yet in the car, but various threads in the corvette forum gave me a heads up on how to handle it when the time comes. The threads said several years ago that the slime/ fix a flat works but screws up air pressure sensors. My emergency setup is about 8 years old - I need to research this for a better fix

Thx. I've read mixed messages about the slime/fix-a-flat. Like what you said, primarily they work but could mess things up.

Mainly, they seem to say that the stuff inside is water soluable (sp?), so if you bring it in to a car place and have that washed out soon then that's okay. Otherwise it may mess things up. I've also read that some places refuse to work on cars that were treated with slime/fix-a-flat.

I think my approach is I'll still have them in the car for when it's not safe or just too inconvenient (in a rush to an important event, etc.) to wait for AAA. For example, if I get a flat in a desolate place in the middle of the night, the heck with waiting, I'll try the slime/fix-a-flat and get the heck out of there :D and worry about the effect on my tire later.

Here in the frozen north I carry "stuff" in the winter. I sometimes travel back roads that may see 1 vehicle a day. You're often 5 miles from a dwelling even if you know which way to go to find one, so the rule is "stay with your car". At 40 below, prepare or die.

1) jack and spare tire (check spare pressure regularly)
2) extra clothing
3) candles for warmth
4) shovel
5) cell phone, most places have coverage
6) tow rope for getting out of ditches, although since these trips are in a 4-wheel drive truck, so far I've been doing the towing.
I've never had to use 2 - 5

While I own booster cables I seldom carry them. If your battery is in good shape (and if it isn't, why not replace it) and you avoid silly mistakes like leaving your lights on, they just take up space. If I do forget the lights, that's why god invented tow trucks.

I sometimes take my 50 year old car on long (2,000+ miles) trips in the summer. It has a totally different kit.
1) spare water pump
2) spare distributor
3) spare generator
4) spare fuel pump
5) basic tools
Nothing like a repair at the side of the road.

For all seasons I carry tools, flares, belts, water, first aid kit, breaker bar, etc. In winter I add shovel, blankets, and kitty litter. I drive 100 miles one way each week to see my mother and this winter people were stranded overnight in the blizzard on the highway I use.

My ultimate emergency backup is the cell phone call to DH and AAA. When I got a flat and wasn't able to loosen the lug nuts even with the breaker bar I called both to see who could get there first. DH "won."

Another 'tool' to carry - 'GOOG-411' programmed in your cell phone. (800-466-4411).

Better than having a phone book in the car, it uses voice recognition (that works) to look up any business you might need near the town you are in, and it will dial the call for you if you ask.

-ERD50

Another 'tool' to carry - 'GOOG-411' programmed in your cell phone. (800-466-4411).

Terrific idea. It took me less than a second to recognize the wisdom behind this suggestion. Thank you.

I have never thought of it as a kit. but I guess that's what I have (collectively) riding around with me in the trunk~ First aid kit, blanket, jumper cables, maps galore, basic tools (screw driver, wrenches, pliers, socket set, vice grip etc), flash light/beacon. Oh yea, and a compact shovel...the shovel is there because I got stuck in the beach sand in Florida when I was a teen (1962) (making out with Cheryl H...OK?) and a shovel would have avoided many prying questions from parents and others.:angel:

On Oahu, I've got AAA, the cell, fix-a-flat, jumpers and money for TheBus - and an umbrella. Now ask me about my hurricane kit at home.:blush:
We don't carry any survival gear in our cars.

But our hurricane bag is a different issue...

Back
Top Bottom