Do You Love Wine?

Cut-Throat said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Something else will probably kill you anyway.

Now I feel much better! :)

Ha

bpp said:
Been getting into scotch lately, myself.

I've discovered Irish whiskey recently. Give some a try.

bpp said:
For would-be connoisseurs, you can spend the rest of your life trying out different sakes and shochus.

Ah sake, I tried to interest DW in sake but she has never liked it. It may be a rejection of my past life.

2B said:
I've discovered Irish whiskey recently. Give some a try.

I do like Jameson and Bushmill's, and have been meaning to explore Irish whiskeys more. Any recommendations?

Ah sake, I tried to interest DW in sake but she has never liked it. It may be a rejection of my past life.

Did you live in Japan in that past life?

bpp said:
I do like Jameson and Bushmill's, and have been meaning to explore Irish whiskeys more. Any recommendations?

Did you live in Japan in that past life?

Clontarf is very smooth. I like Jameson too. Bushmill's third. I really haven't explored how many are out there. It may be like scotch -- seemingly infinite.

I've never been to Japan. I had a serious JA girlfriend in a past life and she was trying to discover her "roots." Sake was involved occasionally. The subject of sake is extremely complex especially when you realize it's nothing but fermented rice. Sunny side of the paddy? :D

keep posting as you taste!

i prefer reds...but have not yet found any i love...and generally don't want to pay more than $10 (is there a correlation there?)

only one i remember is a Rosemont (rosemount?) shiraz - very deep flavor- sipping kind not gulping...

really - do the high-cost wines really taste that much better?

favorite reds available at Tr*dr Joe's appreciated...

lswswein said:
Hi Shredder
It looks really interesting - how much does the whole mix that they sell cost? ALso can you tell me how much the equipment might cost? This is almost like beer brewing from what it looks like...

-h

much easier than brewing beer--no brewing required. The minimal equipment is not expensive. A couple of carboys, a corker, hydrometer, some hose, fermlocks. Maybe $80 or so. A good wine and beer making store will sell you an equipment kit with everything you need.

the kits for a 5 gallon batch vary. I'm thinking in the $35 to $75 range depending on what you get.

I haven't made much wine, I've just started. So when I say it's easier than brewing beer, I mean that the process is less time-consuming. I can't speak for the ratio of "bad batches." I've made quite a few batches of mead (honey-based wine). I've brewed lots and lots of beer over the years, however. In probably 200 batches of beer over the years, I've had one bad batch, and that was due to contaminated yeast that should never have been sold.

If success in winemaking is similar to beer, then the biggest issue is sanitation. If your process is sanitary, you will be successful.

Thanks for the reply bssc. I will ask more questions once I get started. What have you tried till now and any observations that you would like to share?

-h

Years ago when I was discovering wine, I started a modest cellar. My favorite was a $12 - $15 cabernet from Shafer (Stag's Leap District I think). Anyway DH and I bought a few cases and loved it. Suddenly the price goes to $50/ bottle :eek:. Seems the Sunday New York Times ran a little story about Margaret Thatcher's visit to Washington DC and dinner at the White House.

You guessed it. Shafer cab (reserve) was served. I really dislike the Clinton's.

Well, the anti-French reaction has paid off in wine values. :LOL: :LOL: I had a $5.99 sauvignon blanc from Sauvion that I really liked, and a very tasty merlot from Luc Pirlet for $8.99.

Back
Top Bottom