Do you shovel, plow, pay for plowing or use a snow blower when it snows?

I had been a life-long shoveler, but in December, 2012, i finally broke down and bought myself a snowblower. We got it home about 24 hours before a major storm dumped over a foot of snow on us. The only incident so far is one time when I missed the morning paper in a drift and the snowblower ate it. That resulted in a bad jam that took me several tedious hours to clear.

Incidentally, skimming through the other posts, it appears that "snowthrower" is a more common term than "snowblower". I had never heard it before, though. Snowblower must be a regionalism in this part of the country.

That's what life insurance is for :LOL: ...

BTW, I'm 66 :angel: .

I will send him over to try out the Deere :). He probably wouldn't overexert himself on that vs the act of shoveling. But he is a little bit of a klutz re large machinery so at some point he might need stitches (a lawn mower-induced emergency room visit was fun when he spun a piece of a roofing nail into his calf).

I still shovel. I have a long driveway, but I figure the exercise is good for me. Now that I'm retired, I have time to work on it at my own pace, which helps. I try to never let it accumulate more than about 4-5" before shoveling, which makes it manageable. If it snows more than that, I just go back and do it again later. Not a real big deal. I've considered buying a snowblower in the past, but I really don't need another motorized device that requires maintenance and frequent repair. Most of my friends that have gas snowblowers always have them in the shop for maintenance and/or repair, or at least it seems that way. I might change my mind when I get older and just can't do the job with a shovel anymore.
+1.....If it was good enough for my father and my grandfather, it is good enough for me. Everyone also has a riding lawn mower around here but I prefer a regular lawn mower.

These comments always remind me of John Lindsay, a one-term mayor of NYC while I still lived there.

The reason he only got one term in office was partly due to his remarkably inept handling of a blizzard in 1969.

His famous approach to snow removal was "God put it there, and God will eventually take it away."
:facepalm:
That also happened in Chicago back in the 70's. Then Mayor Bilandic lost out to Jane Byrne because of his administrations handling of the snow.

My Grandad left behind a 1971 Ariens; 36 inch wide, 8HP (?) four forward, one reverse, elec start, walking cab, chains on the tires (all considered high-end 40 years ago). It's an animal! Goes through anything which is good because a Nor'easter will lay down six foot drifts in front of my garage.

I have a deal with the plow guy: if the driveway is not done...do it. Otherwise, I've been out there with my 40 year old snowblower kicking butt!

My uncle left me a Ransomes Bob-Cat (note hyphen) snow thrower from about a decade later. It's a little undersized for my needs but tough as nails. I just overhauled the impeller drive (new bearings, chain and sprocket). It'll probably see me out, just like Uncle Ernie.

My first snowthrower was a Jacobsen (White) purchased in the early 70's. I sold it around 1995 when I replaced it with a John Deere - not because the Jacobsen didn't work, I just wanted to change colors :facepalm: ...

Both units were/are 8HP and move through the snow like a hot knife through butter. Both had/have (plug in) electric start so no problem at all on start up. The only thing you have to remember is to turn off the fuel to stop it. That's to drain the carb/line to make sure it dosen't gum up during off season (who knows if the current snowstorm is the last of the season :D ).

My current unit is a high end Husgvarna 27" with electric start/heated grips and such. I like it. What I liked better was the 46 inch thrower on the front of my craftsman tractor. That thing threw snow forever but was a super pain to mount and unmount seasonally.

What I liked better was the 46 inch thrower on the front of my craftsman tractor. That thing threw snow forever but was a super pain to mount and unmount seasonally.
I would think that you also would need rear wheel weights/chains for heavy snow conditions.

I have enough problems with removing the deck on my Craftsman/Husqvarna lawn tractor; that's why I purchased a MoJack to do regular blade/deck maintenance. I would hate to remove it every season "just in case" it snows. Heck, we've had many years (and a few in a row) where my snowthrower never left the garage :LOL: ...

I had chains on the back tires and a plate that you mount to set a container full of salt on (for wieght mostly)

Our driveway is 1/2 mile, so we use a 7 foot snow blower on tractor. Might sound like a lot of work but sometimes easier than those that live in town.

His famous approach to snow removal was "God put it there, and God will eventually take it away."
:facepalm:

Sounds like DC's then-mayor Marion Barry who when asked what his snow-removal plan was purportedly replied "Spring".

Back
Top Bottom